Combination feeding

TundraOwl

Reaction score
Does any one else do this? I have been breastfeeding exclusively up until about a week ago, but was really struggling at night as she was feeding every 2 hours or so, then taking half an hour to settle between each feed. I tried expressing so OH could give her a bottle but it just didn't seem to be filling her up. For the last week we have been giving her a bottle of hungry baby formula at about midnight, after a bath and she will then sleep all the way through til about 6am! Its wonderful! The only thing I'm worried about is whether it is ok to do this, she is still breastfeeding well during the day, and I feel better as I am managing to sleep at night. Does any one else do this and do you think it's ok, it seems to be working well for us, she is just so hungry all the time and the formula is the only thing that seems to fill her up.

I think that sounds fine, if baby is happy and settled then there isn't a problem.

It is common for BF babies to go 2 hours between feeds, those first 2/3 months are killer. i remember how hard it was!

This next baby I'm going to combi feed from the start and will probably only BF for the first few weeks.

xxxx

I figured as long as she is getting breast milk most of the time then it's fine, she doesn't seem to have any problems switching between bottle and breast. It also means that when we have a business meeting next week our friend can babysit her for a couple of hours and give her a bottle if she needs it. It's funny though, she'll take formula from a bottle, and is happy breast feeding, but she doesn't like breast milk in a bottle! fussy baby!

Most breast fed babies only go 2-3 hours day and night for a few months so she's totally normal, Kynon still only going 4 hours max at night as he's so greedy too, just one of those things! I used to express for Kynon to get used to the bottle but a few weeks ago he decided to refuse the bottle! I got one of those meleda calma bottles to try as they are supposed to be just like the breast.

My son used to have the odd bottle to give me a break and eventually he rejected the bottle too.

There is the risk though that baby will reject the breast and prefer the bottle, but I would think is more likely to reject the bottle if only having 1 a day, but then again might be happy with the routine she's in.

This next baby I will combi feed and move over to bottle fed before it gets the chance to make a choice for itself lol I just can't offer the same commitment while running round after an 18 month old too!

I combi feed but not by choice really but because i didnt have enough milk, he would literally feed non-stop. 2-3 hours however is normal time.
Not sure if you are supposed to give them hungry milk formula though, did you speak to your HV?

I'm combination feeding too, only because Alice was still hungry after every feed from me. My supply has diminished a bit so I've had to give her top ups of formula so she's satisfied. My opinion is that some breast milk is better than none if you do have to combination feed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back