collecting stem cells

annem

Reaction score
whats everyone s view on it?

i'm not sure if the are preying on parents to feel guilty if they don't do it or whether i should do it :think:

I think its a con... if the stem cells were that important wouldn't they do it for free :think:

Nic'n'Keeley said:
I think its a con... if the stem cells were that important wouldn't they do it for free :think:

Wow they charge in UK hospitals??? :shock:

In the US they are desperate for the stem cells from the cord, and beg parents to let them harvest them from the cord...

If it was available here, they could gladly take the stem cells from the cord... My baby won't be using it.. yet it could save another baby's life.

:D

they charge over here to store them in case your child needs them later on. There are lots of companies

http://www.cells4life.co.uk/?ppcseid=36 ... MAodLUh9pg

obviously the companies make it out to be a great idea as they are taking your money but i'm looking for an independant view! can't find any good ones

i wouldnt object to my babys cord cells being donated to medical research- but i wouldnt pay for it!

annem did you mean storing your own LO's stem cells for possible future treatments for ailments etc? I think its a fantastic idea although there was no way we could afford it at the time. I think if you can, go for it, and I also think hospitals should look into donations from mothers after the birth, as there's so much in them there stem cells :D Another reason why the umbilical cord should be left alone until it stops pulsating before being cut too :D

yes Redshoes thats what i meant!!

we are ok ish for money so could afford it if need be but its definately not spare change so got to weigh up pros and cons. I'm just feeling guilty already if i don't do it.

Is that where they take the blood from the cord? I asked the midwife about it because the ad in the magazine said that it just takes 10 mins and is painless and harmless to baby. I thought that if I could help someone then I would but...you can only get it done privately and it costs about £1500!

if it had been free, or a lot cheaper, we would have done it, but technology is so advanced now and getting better all the time, you would hope they would be able to fix any problems without stem cells.

I thought you only had to pay if you wanted to store your own babies stem cells for use by your own family.

I have signed a consent to have them donated for any person or for research if there is not enough to help someone and it is totally free.

I personally feel if everyone donated them then if my baby needs them in the future there will be donated ones for him/her.

ella said:
I thought you only had to pay if you wanted to store your own babies stem cells for use by your own family.

I have signed a consent to have them donated for any person or for research if there is not enough to help someone and it is totally free.

I personally feel if everyone donated them then if my baby needs them in the future there will be donated ones for him/her.

yws thats why i was willing to donate ours

Kylie1007 said:
ella said:

yws thats why i was willing to donate ours

But you had to pay?? :think: :think: that is nuts :shakehead: :shakehead:

good point, if every donated there would be no need to spend £ on storing your own

I think it had to be paid for because the NHS don't do it here so you have to have it done privately. Seems stupid because you'd be helping people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back