Colic? PLEASE HELLLLLLLP!!

happy-chick

Reaction score
How young can babies be when they get this? Ellie seems to have bouts of screaming and lots of wind at certain times in the day and theres nothing we can do to console her :cry: we're making sure we get all the wind up we can after feeds but doesnt seem to be helping... could this be colic?

Midwife told me to try Infacol but it gave her the runs and seemed to make things worse so we stopped it, anyone got any tips?

I would try the infacol again and try it for a while before stopping, also u could try a little bit of boiled water before each feed, and also try only give her a small drink then burping and another drink and so on.....

chezzabell said:
I would try the infacol again and try it for a while before stopping, also u could try a little bit of boiled water before each feed, and also try only give her a small drink then burping and another drink and so on.....

Yeh might give it a try again, its hard to stop & start cos im breastfeeding and she really doesnt like letting go of my nipple unless she falls asleep lol

She been screamin more or less constantly since 6:30pm & its now 11:05pm... she just seems to go to sleep then wake up in pain but no amount of winding, cuddling, feeding or consoling makes it better :?

Im expecting a loooong night & im knackered already :(

It sounds like it could be colic. Jake had colic from a few weeks old where he would cry from about 5pm until the early hours. Sometimes the only way to get him to sleep would be to breastfeed him until he fell asleep and then OH would gently lift him off me and put him in to his moses basket. We tried gripe water but I found it hard to get him to take it and it made him sick so we then bought some infacol which seemed to really help and the colic stopped when he was about 8 weeks old. I really feel for you because I know how tiring it is. OH used to lay Jake across his lap on his tummy and gently pat his back and that seemed to help too sometimes.

wind baby before a feed as this gets rid of air already in body etc plus try gripe water helps to bring wind up, cooles biled water is also good

try chamomile tea in her bottle warmed.. u can make up a batch and give her a few mouthfulls before each feed or just when she usually gets colic..if you make a big bottle full u can keep it in the fridge for 24hrs..

worked for edward..

Have you got a sling? Try popping her in that if she's colicky. Some of the thing's we've done if Finn is having a session are..
*a bath
*changing nappy
*nappy off time
*GRIPE WATER :cheer: although Ellie is too little for this yet
*sling
*bouncing gently
*a feed
*play time
*sometimes he's been over stimulated and will stop immediately if I lay him down on our bed if the room is dimly lit.

She did ok last night, we got up this morning at 8:30 and she's been crying and not settled since... she's had the odd 15-20mins then just started crying and not settled again, the only time she's quiet is when shes feeding. Is this normal for a 2week old baby? She's been awake now for nearly 12hrs?

I just dont know what to do :( cant console her & feel so bad that theres nothing I can do to make it better. She seems so unhappy :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi Hun Have you tried colief? My LO has colic and I tried infacol and gripe water and it didn't help at all but then found a product called colief. You should be able to get it from most chemists its expensive at £10 for a 7ml bottle which I find lasts about 6 days but has definalty helped loads. £10 well spent I think anyway. The only problem is that you need to make a feed half hour before bottles to let it work. You can also use it when breast feeding it says on the pack by expressing a few tablespoons of milk into a container and adding the drops then feeding to baby on a spoon before normal feeding. It says on the pack that transient lactase deficiency can result in the temporary digestive discomfort caused by undigested lactose in food. This can be an important factor in some babies with colic. Colief may reduce the hours of crying by breaking down the lactose in the baby's usual milk and making it this more easily digestible. This product has really worked for me and it says on the back that its safe from birth I have been using this product since Jess was 3weeks old. Let me know if you decide to give it a try and how it goes. Good Luck xxx :hug:

gems said:
Hi Hun Have you tried colief? My LO has colic and I tried infacol and gripe water and it didn't help at all but then found a product called colief. You should be able to get it from most chemists its expensive at £10 for a 7ml bottle which I find lasts about 6 days but has definalty helped loads. £10 well spent I think anyway. The only problem is that you need to make a feed half hour before bottles to let it work. You can also use it when breast feeding it says on the pack by expressing a few tablespoons of milk into a container and adding the drops then feeding to baby on a spoon before normal feeding. It says on the pack that transient lactase deficiency can result in the temporary digestive discomfort caused by undigested lactose in food. This can be an important factor in some babies with colic. Colief may reduce the hours of crying by breaking down the lactose in the baby's usual milk and making it this more easily digestible. This product has really worked for me and it says on the back that its safe from birth I have been using this product since Jess was 3weeks old. Let me know if you decide to give it a try and how it goes. Good Luck xxx :hug:

HappyChick - I have a brand new, unopened bottle of Colief that you can have if you want. PM me if you want it and I'll put it in the post. It worked for us. Lucyx

Hunny I know how you must be feeling, we got no more than an hours sleep every night for 8 weeks coz Maddison was colic :( We tried everything but in the end up it was Infacol before every feed and winding her every few minutes during feed (I understand this may be very hard due to BF). Eventually the screaming sessions just got fewer and fewer and we were really lucky that her colic faded around 10 weeks :wink:

:( Ava had colic until she was 12 weeks and all that worked for us was peppermint tea in loads of water after and before her feeds, i know how u feel we had it day and night or 12 weeks, it does get better promise xxxx :hug: :hug:

It does sound like colic as it tends to be worse in the evening. There is a gripe water you can get from birth, i think it is called 'nurse harveys' but i could only find it in chemists.

Is she drawing her knees up to her belly, this is usually a sign of wind or tummy upset. xx :hug:

Thanks 4 advice ladies, its defo colic as its same time each night... we're using infacol at mo but thinking of changing to colief if its better? She's sleeping at night which is one good thing, at least she's not screaming all night!

One thing is that she never seems to bring much wind up after feeding (breastfeeding) no matter how much we wind her or what positions we try (we've tried em all!) she hardly brings any up but seems tp fart loads :lol: when I asked MW about this she said some babies are like that... is this true?

happy_chick said:
Thanks 4 advice ladies, its defo colic as its same time each night... we're using infacol at mo but thinking of changing to colief if its better? She's sleeping at night which is one good thing, at least she's not screaming all night!

One thing is that she never seems to bring much wind up after feeding (breastfeeding) no matter how much we wind her or what positions we try (we've tried em all!) she hardly brings any up but seems tp fart loads :lol: when I asked MW about this she said some babies are like that... is this true?

Thats how my Jess was it seems like she wants to hang on to the wind. Then it gave her belly ache as it travels through her and makes her cry and she farts all the time. Give the colief a try. It really worked for me right from the first feed using it I noticed a difference. She still has a little problem with wind at times but no where near as bad as it was for the first weeks. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah defo gunna give the colief a try as the infacol seems to be giving her diarrhoea, can u just buy it from any chemist?

Thank you very much lucybee ur an absolute star :D x

happy_chick said:
Yeah defo gunna give the colief a try as the infacol seems to be giving her diarrhoea, can u just buy it from any chemist?

Thank you very much lucybee ur an absolute star :D x

No worries! Just hope it does the trick! Lxx

I use Infacol but sometimes i forget, as you're supposed to give it before each feed. :think:

Hiya hun

I just saw this post on colic and remembered that Ellie was back to back.

Sam was also back to back and had dreadful colic. We took him to a cranial osteopath, who told us he had loads of stress across his forehead and down his spine. If you think about how their heads are bent backwards during the birth you can kind of understand it!
After three sessions she was able to 'reconnect' something down his spine.

From that moment we never looked back, the colic was gone.

I'm not sure how available that sort of treatment is over there but I would seriously recommend considering it.

Another tip. Reduce the amount of dairy products you are consuming. Babies have problems digesting the protein in cows milk, and that could be adding to the problem.

Good luck :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back