Help with colic

Awwww :hug: :hug:

OK, firstly don't feel bad about him taking in air when he feeds or is being greedy. Sucking in air when feeding is something Galen did (and still does when guzzling) and I simply would slide my little finger in and remove him from my nipple and get him to relatch till I was happy he was well and truly on. Made for less burps. However, in Galen's case its not prevented him from being a colicky baby from 3 weeks of age. I don't really relate the sucking in air and colic tbh. Air just makes him burp more.

Its not your fault Collier has colic. Many babies suffer it, it is one of those young baby things that happen. Don't beat yourself up about it. You are not doing anything wrong :hug: No one is judging you, you and Collier have to learn about each other and find what works for both of you, and of course that is going to be trial and error. And what works for one person might not work for you and vice versa.

Galens breaking wind (he can trump for England already :lol: ) and his colic follow no real pattern. His burping is helped by the Infacol, he now does big burps, and his bouts of colic are slowly becoming less severe and I am putting that down to the Infacol so am sticking with it. He is unsettled but is no longer crying for hours in distress.

Stomach gurgling is normal, so don't worry about that. Collier is still very young so it all has to settle down.

I find for my left boob having Galen lying in front of me, with his head on the left works well. I can have my arm around behind him and support his head. For my right boob I use the reverse of this now, but also the rugby ball position where I tuck him down along my side. I actually really get on well with this and Galen does also. So see, what works for one, is different for another. I have had to change pillows for feeding already as Galen needs something more solid :lol:

Collier getting grumpy for your boob may be down to a growth spurt also atm. And your milk coming through more. Any number of things.

It really is a case (as I have found) of trial and error and perseverance. It is bloody hard work and can be very distressing, but please know he will be ok :) Yes Collier is in discomfort, but I try, when Galen is colicky to hold on to the fact that he won't remember this, he forgets the pain once it passes and he won't have any lasting damage from having colic.

No one really knows what causes colic exactly or what actually happens during bouts of it. There is no definate rhyme or reason to it. So any number of things can possibly be a trigger. But don't blame yourself or feel you are doing something wrong. Just keep going, make sure you get a few breaks from him when he is upset and give it a bit of time for the Infacol to kick in and hopefully things will improve.

Aw poor collier, sorry he has colic.

My friends little boy suffered really bad with colic and she tried quite a number of things and found Coleif was the only thing that worked, it was a god send for her.

You can get it from Boots or most other pharmacies.

Thank you everyone :hug:
The infolcol has helped a lot to get more burps up
And he is latching on so much better now he's calmer and opening his mouth wider my milk has also increased to a shocking amount and i leak freely every 2 hours so hes etting regular smaller meals rather then the lager ones and then id be dry the next time he needed a feed and wed have to use a back up formula.

we both enjoy breast feeding i love the bond we have built up i love my son so much and being able to feed him myself my milk that wil help him grow strong and healthy is a privalage and a joy :hug: :hug: :hug:

the pastfew days wee been put and about shopping and going for walks ect and Collier loved being in the carrier. The vibration lulls him to sleep so hes had relife from the pain he also loves and falls asleep in the car

at night hes so exhausted form all the crying he sleeps solid from 1 am to 5.40 or 2 to 6.40 so we get a good amount of quality sleep :D :D :D :D he wakes had a feed n a change then we all fall back to sleep till about 9.30/10/30
so Colliers beeing lovely sleep wise bless him

Istill cant put im down after rocking him as soon as i do he screams blue murder
but iv got a bouncer chair on the way in the post im hoping this will help.

im typing one handed at the mo ive not got a thing done all day between feedinh n changing ang comforting

Im so happy things seem to be getting a bit easier for you Sarah.

I hope that the bouncer helps too, :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Look how old he is already :shock: :shock: It goes sooo fast doesnt it

Geordie&Bairn said:
Istill cant put im down after rocking him as soon as i do he screams blue murder
but iv got a bouncer chair on the way in the post im hoping this will help.

Glad things are getting there for you :)

A few things we tried and have worked by the time Galen was 2 weeks old and needing to settle.

Putting a hot water bottle into the crib to warm up where he will be lying. Makes it much more welcoming for him. Or a short blast with the hairdryer on the spot.

Also once you lay him down, keep skin to skin contact for a while on his head. I stroke or rest my hand round Galen's head and he finds that much better than simply putting him down and leaving him.

After about 10 days of this we can now put him in his crib at any point awake or asleep and he settles well. More often than not if awake he will nod off on his own after 10-15 minutes or so. Or simply just remain quiet and relaxed. We stopped using the hot water bottle and hairdryer after a few days and the hand contact is still used if he is a bit grumbly. Works wonders. If Galen does not settle once hand is removed, we simply put it back and keep it there for 5 minutes again rather than pick him up.

His colic seems to have compleatly gone :cheer: the Infocol worked a treat thanks for the tips girls :D I also stop his feed a few times to burp in as well as at the edn it slows his guzzling and it gets rid of more of the trapped air bubbles and its worked a treat :D
Collier is a much happier little chappie :hug: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back