He's a hefty lump but now has colic :/

Sherlock

Reaction score
Galen weighed in at 9lb15oz at birth. By 9 days he had gained back past his birth weight. At 19 days he was 10lb 11oz.

He weighed in yesterday, at 22 days, a whopping 11lb 6.5ozs :shock: He gained so much in only a few days :shock: I no longer have to guide him to latch as he really resists and seems to prefer to find my boob himself. Latches within seconds :lol: :roll: HV says he is more like a 3 month old baby in many ways :shock: She joked yesterday she was expecting to find him crawling already :lol:

His demand for feeding is not easing, but I am used to it now and go with it. I also sucessfully expressed milk yesterday (by hand and using electric pump) and got 5ozs. So OH can now take at least one feed in the late evening from me so I can sleep for a few hours.

Down side as of Sunday though. He's developed nasty colic and really suffers. Sunday afternoon he was awake from midday ish to 7.15pm. If my mother had not been here I would have been so stressed by this. I'm used to his long wakeful periods (average 6 hours) but he is usually really laid back most of the time during them. This was constant crying and screaming etc. Luckily she was able to give me a break and take care of him in between feeds.

Last night he woke at about 5pm, changed, fed etc and then we had the whole colic pattern till about 10pm :cry: :? He finally went to sleep sometime round 11pm.

I've started using Infacol as of yesterday teatime on HV's advice. While it seems to have helped a little, he still had a really bad night once he woke at around 3am for a feed. I've not really slept since then as he was restless, in lots of discomfort and would not, could not settle. He does not burp much wind wise, but had terrible wind from the other end and really struggles when it happens. I am finding it distressing having to watch him go through all this and being almost helpless to make it better :? Also as it affects him when he is sleeping it drags him out of his good sleep and wakes him.

I'm using the tummy tub for bathing, Infacol, getting some big burps out of him during and after feeds but wondered if there was anything else I could try to help the colic woes. As he feeds so much I find we seem to be battling almost all the time with the colic now. He's only slept 30 mins just now and is awake again with wind and scrunching his legs up etc.

There is an end to it! I've found that with Becky it's gradually starting to ease off like people have assured me it would (touch wood!). The screaming seems to have gone from several hours in the evening to a couple of hours of being unsettled

Other than what you're doing I've found giving her a bath in a normal bath really helps. For some reason if she's colicky she really dislikes the tummy tub and ends up bashing her legs and arms off the sides which winds her up. If there's pain it seems to ease it and since she enjoys it, it seems to take her mind off it. She is very chilled and bubbly for an hour or so afterwards and then passes out following a feed usually from 9pm-3am. Oh, and about the infacol, I've been told (on here and by the HV) that it can take several days to kick in properly so definitely stick with it.

For bringing up wind, keeping LO upright really seems to help. Rebecca burps like a trooper when she's in the carrier - think it's a combination of the motion and gravity.

Don't forget about yourself in all this too. It's hard but if you are on your own at any point don't feel bad about putting him down for 5 minutes, going into another room and then coming back. If you get tense and stressed then it definitely pays to stop and count to 10 - they know when you're stressed! Definitely accept any help you can get and have a big one of these too :hug: :hug:

Hi :wave:
I think a normal bath helped my LO - she didn't have cholic but she did have a lot of wind and tummy pains. Somehow laying back in the water calmed her. Not sure why.

I don't really know if this will help, but I found that putting her on her tummy helped with burping and wind, seemed to get bits that the normal burping didn't :) I gave her some gripe water and then either had her upright for a while and then on her tummy. Does he like going on his tummy? He is still really young, and some babies hate it, but just wanted to suggest it.

I hope things start to get a bit easier for you. I had a difficult start and when people said to me that it would get easier, I remember thinking 'yeah but what about NOW?' but somehow you get through it and things do settle down a tiny bit ;).

Lots of these :hug: :hug: :hug:

Haven't made that cake yet but seriously thinking about it - not sure if it is because I am depressed about taking LO to England on a plane tomorrow and sugar appeals :)

I remember walking the streets at 2am with CAmeron when he had Colic just to stop myself from going mad with the screaming.

I really found that having him in a baby carrier helped .
I wore him upright most of the day and he was reasonably happy.

Mhairi is on a rampage in her walker at the mo, so I'll bullet point what helped us!

* White noise (although not "true" white noise) like the hoover, hairdryer. You can get tracks on the internet to play on repeat.

* Wearing Galen in a stretchy sling wrap and going for a brisk walk ( I know about your other post natal problems, so this might be one for the DH in the meantime!)

* If all else fails, I've heard some great reports about cranial osteopathy, your local Osteopath ot Chiropractor should be able to give you more info!

Right, I'm off to save the dogs, skirting boards, new kitchen and staircase!

xxx

Definately think about an oesteopath, my SIL and boss have both used one for their babies, my SIL's daughter had colic and cried alot and the oesteopath really helped

good luck x x x

hello hun

sorry I havent replied to PM yet!! been a busy bunny with bubs.
I had the same prob with James a couple of weeks ago, he just holds onto his wind and then was in so much pain. I tried infacol for a week and although James LOVED the orangey taste it didnt really help much, I also tried dentinox which he hated ( it smelt like McDonalds gherkins :puke: ) I have now found the solution - Gripe Water. It seems to work for James. It says not to use until they are a month old but James wasnt a tiny bubba so I just gave t to him and now he does the BIGGEST burps bless him :lol: no trapped wind :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: See how infacol goes but if not try Gripe Water. Every baby is different so it will prob take trial and error

xxx

I would stick with the Infacol but try Colief too. It works wonders on colic.
Here's a link for more info...

http://www.colief.com/

You can get it from any chemist.

Lucyx

midna said:
The good thing is being breastfed the colic is likely to be short lived a few weeks although those weeks do feel like a long time it will be over before you know it. Try infacol and gripe water..if your happy for him to let him live on your boob then let him ..I did with seed ..also if you hear him trying to go sit him (when hes not crying ) on his knees

Goodluck hun wont be long and he be over it xxxxxxxxx

Good to know it'll be shortlived. Poor little chap is worn out. Not as much as me though :roll: I just hate seeing him so miserable :cry:

He feeds on demand so I just go with the flow. I try to not let him get overly hungry as that is when he gets the worst bouts of colic for some reason. Maybe its because he is fearsome sucking on my boob then or something. Whereas when not ravenous he is more relaxed and does not seem to suffer so badly.

He poos lots. At least 4 nappies a day are normal. Sometimes more. But the breaking wind never results in a poo. Its just wind and makes him so miserable.

Going to stick with Infacol for a while and hope it helps. Will try the positioning tip also :)

Remembe than Infacol can take up to a week to show any results. It took a few days (3-5) to kick in when we started using it but after that we did see a big improvement.

Stick with it. It DOES get better :hug:

I totally sympathise with the colic. At times Phoebe screamed ALL day, and I mean ALL day. My OH didn't believe me when I said she had been awake screaming all day until he saw it the following weekend.

I am not sure what helped in the end. Possibly infacol? If it was that, then it took a good 5 days to work I reckon... She doesn't do any more burps than she used to, her wind seems to be deeper rooted.

We also changed her milk (not applicable to you obv) as I am mixed feeding.

The one thing that really helps her is sucking, she was def using me as a dummy lots. So as much as I didn't want to use them... Her best friend is now her dummy. A lot of the time its the only thing that helps her sleep when she is in pain during the day. At night she doesn't need it. She is pretty good with it, she spits it out when she is done :D Could be worth a try?

Aw hun :hug: you are having a tough time of it at the moment, aren't you? I sympathise totally with the colic, Connie has had it BAD since she was 1 week old - but has shown some improvement of late (either that or we're better at dealing with it). Things that work for us:

1. Infacol - helps her bring up bigger burps.
2. Mr Dum Dum (although you might not be able to use a dummy as you're breastfeeding? I think Bloom does though so maybe PM her and ask what kind she has?)... but sucking really helps Connie. Of course when she's REALLY bad she screams around the dummy ha ha!
3. Bouncing up and down with her in cradle position on the gym ball - this settles her better than anything but it can be a real pain for us!
4. Bung her in the Coorie pouch sling - sends her off a treat.
5. Stick her by the dehumidifier - the noise seems to calm her.

It really DOES get better as the weeks go on though I promise promise promise - but I know how ruddy awful it is watching your child screaming for hours on end and clearly full of gas (and trumping for Britain in Connie's case) with there being nothing you can do for them... it's heartbreaking :cry:

I would personally hold off on the Colief unless you get really desperate - it gave Connie BAD diarrhoea and we had to discontinue use immediately. She cried worse on that than through the Colic!

Good luck and keep in your mind that you will get through it. It sounds strange but the way I cope with it is by knowing it will pass and that in a few weeks she'll be way better. This might work for you too - positive mindpower and all that.

You are such a strong lady I know you'll get through your problems :hug:

Thanks ladies :) :hug:

We've been persevering with the Infacol and Galen spends lots of time over my shoulder, or OH if he is around and that seems to be his favourite spot when the colic is bad.

Things have improved somewhat but his breaking wind is still causing him loads of discomfort. His little face scrunches up and goes beetroot colour with the effort of a tiny tiny fart :? Poor little mite. Still, he is at least not screaming for hours on end and is sleeping better at night but still very wakeful during the day (normal for him so thats not so bad).

He is I think hitting another growth spurt also atm as all he wants to do is feed feed feed. Its insane the amount he can guzzle down. More or less every hour when he is awake :shock: Thank goodness he can fill up in less than 15 minutes now or else I'd never be off the sofa :lol: :roll:

My frinds little boy suffered with colic and she tried everything and the only thing that worked for her was Colief, it was a god send for her as she was at the end of her tether with him.

You can get it from most chemists, its pricey but worth it if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back