Clingy?

pringle88

Reaction score
Do you think being a single parent automatically makes the baby cling to you?

Taking into account visitors (get a lot of help from my mum!) i prob spend about 18-20 hours alone with Ella every day.

People are starting to comment on how she stops crying when i take her and she starts crying when i leave the room. I dont sit with her 24/7 i make sure she has alone time on her mat or in her bouncer and i dont co-sleep so she is used to not being attached to me ALL the time.

when i feel ready to eventually leave her with somebody i dont want it to be made impossible for her to not be around me?!

any tips!?

Im in a relationship but I am with my LO all the time....OH only has about an hours contact per day. Everyone always comments on how she looks around for me when someone else wants a cuddle or even if she is in her play gym she strains her head to watch me. I interact loads with her and her granny takes her out for a couple of hours every sat morning and she is always a good girl. When my OH is in and im interacting with LO she always gives me lots of smiles and laughs and he always says.....how come she doesnt do that for me....and im like well bloody interact!

Hun i think its normal for a baby, they want their mum. They used to hear you when they were in your tummy so its normal.
sent from my Galaxy s2

yeah thats exactly what Ella is like. if i leave the room she will almost twist her neck to follow me and then cries when she cant see me anymore! if her dad is with her and i leave her room she screams and then when i come back she will be all smiles, i think it frustrates him but what does he expect when he doesnt make the effort!! i just hope she's not overly clingy when she gets a bit older, my friend cant even go to the toilet alone her LO has to go with her!!

They get separation anxiety at different stages, its part of their development

sent from my Galaxy s2

My l/o is starting to get like this already :-/ o/h in military working away so it's me that's always here x

Its developmental she's doing exactly what's meant to be done :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Last night OH gave Sophie her bath and put her to bed. She wouldn't settle all night and kept me up being unsettled. In fact she screamed the place down after OH got her out of the bath!

Tonight I've bathed her and put her to bed as OH has gone to work and she's settled so much better! We haven't had any crying at all so far. I wonder if she's better for me because she's with me all day. I hope so cos I'd love her to be a mummy's girl lol

It defo is just a mum thing, my eldest LO did all those things & i'm not single. I do majority of the parenting tho. As in...its not split equally in half.

:)

My LO doesn't seem to mind me leaving the room as long as it's not for too long. I've left her with other people or in her chair with a toy for short periods to pop off to the loo, check on dinner, get dressed etc. and no tears so far. She might just be a very chilled baby or probably hasn't reached the separation anxiety stage. I'm not a single parent although I am the main carer so she spends most of her time in slings being carried around by me. This may or may not be the reason for her laidback-ness. I've read somewhere that babies that get carried around a lot actually tend to become less clingy later because they feel more secure.

OH is very involved though, when he's not at work, so he gets lots of laughs and smiles. More than me I think lol, I'm sure she sees him as the fun parent!

Last edited:
Jack's a big Mummy's boy! He's followed my voice around the room from birth and will come to me for a cuddle over anybody else. TBH I think it's the way it should be and I love it! He doesn't cry at all when I leave the room but gets super excited when I walk back in. My OH loves how close the pair of us are but if he's having his time with Jack I usually have to leave the room or he'll shove OH's face out the way to get to me lol. It'll all change when Jack's 2 and wants to play cars/trains with Daddy and he doesn't want cuddles anymore. I always make sure we see lots of familiar faces during the week and always make sure Jack interacts with them without me being involved because I don't want him to be clingy and cry whenever anybody wants to talk/play with him but he's always aware that i'm close by if he needs me :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back