Clexane injection worry/birth worry :(

Nikkijayne

Reaction score
I'm 31 weeks pregnant with my first child. At 28 weeks I had to start injecting myself daily with clexane injections daily to stop any blood clots developing (this is due to bmi being slightly higher).
To be honest I wasn't really told much about them (not to be rude but my consultant doesn't really speak/understand English all that well).
I was asked recently to think about my birth plan and I have always known I wanted an epidural. However I happened upon a few threads last night where ladies have stated that they were not allowed and epidural because of the clexane, also the chances of them having a c section (under general anaesthetic) was higher. I wasn't going to have pethadine or anything, just the epidural.
My sister had a c section under general and she didn't get to see,dress,feed or change my nephew for several hours.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this sort of thing that would put myself at rest. Thank you ever so much xxxxx

Can I ask why you wanted an epidural?

They lengthen labour and increase the likelihood of baby needing assisted delivery like forceps or even c section.

Personally I've birthed 2 babies just on pethidine and had no problems, both babies scored 9 & 10 on the apgar scores too so the pethidine didn't affect them.

I'd definitely look into other forms of pain relief :)

Hopefully you won't need a c section x

I had an epidural and was fine. If you want the epidural you go for it. Don't let others pursuade you not to.
Anyways, I've been in clexane for both pregnancies and the 1st pregnancy I also had epidural. So whoever said you can't has given you false Information. Xx

I have fragmin (same as clexane) and have just been told to stop if I think labour is approaching...I need to enquirer more with consultant next week. But never heard of it been a problem with epidural x

Yeah like Emmam said, stop the injections when you think labour is starting him. Xx

I had an epidural with my first advised to keep my blood pressure down - this time round I am going to try and avoid it like the plague it took it out of me, I had a sleepy leg for hours afterwards, stuck on the bed on my back.....boo!!

Midwives will often only offer an epidural as a last resort there are better pain reliefs which can keep you more mobile and keep labour going better!! xx

If she wants an Epi and has made an Informed decision then it's her choice and leave her to it.

Personally I didn't want one but had one due to severe back spasms brought on by an old back fracture and j had no issues. I was walking around the same night and in the shower after my section the next morning.

I wanted the choice to have an epidural if I wanted one. I'm not great with pain and thought that if I wanted it I could have it.
Everything I have seen about these injections has so far indicated that epidural isn't an option :s I have a consultant appointment and anesthetist appointment on the 9th of March. I'll find out more then, I just thought that someone might have some insight into it x

I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed an epi. I hope they allow it for you if it makes you feel calmer and better about it. X

I refused blood thinner last time but I know that they don't stop you having an epidural
I'd you stop in time for birth

I'm going to discuss with my consultant the option of stopping them at 38 weeks as I'm petrified of postnatal bleed or haemorrhaging after birth. I originally refused the injection so really they'll have done well to get me to do 10 weeks of it plus agree to postnatal injections x

It's because prolonged periods of reduced mobility is a bloodclotting risk. So if you are already on medication to prevent bloodclotting because pregnancy is a risk itself then knowing for sure because of c section or epidural you will have reduced mobility for a day or maybe more which for them is less favourable than you being able to move and not be bed bound.
And I'm sure if it was medically necessary for a section or an epidural they will do but that's just outweighing each risk from another.

I'm sure you could discuss this with your midwife too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back