• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Christenings

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

I have a spare half hour today. Yay! Wanted to ask you all about christenings. How many of you are getting or have already got your baby christened? We are not religious although Isaac goes to a christian playgroup every week where they sing religious songs and say the lords pray. (Isaac is obviously too young to understand just yet). I am already a god parent, even though I haven't been christened and I am going to be a god parent again next month.

Is it really about faith in god or is a christening just something people do like getting married in a church and having a funeral in a church?

Just interested in your opinions as always!

Lou :D

my 2 are getting baptised on the 26th of this month
and i know im bad but its because i want them to go to a catholic school.
i do believe in the faith i am R.C my self but i dont believe in some parts of it. and dont htink we should have to go to church to pray.

and its nice for all the family to get to gether for the baptism etc
and then the communion.

I think alot of people use the church to get into good schools. Don't you have to get a reference from the vicar or something? Doesn't make you bad Dionne. Its commonplace. Its a shame the catholic schools are usually considered the best. My Isaac may miss out on the best education possible because he doesn't belong to a religious group. Weird isn't it? I suppose it depends if the general levels of teaching are of a higher standard or if its the religious part of it that makes the school better? Its not something I know much about. Oh and I know what you mean about the social side of christenings/baptisms. Alot of families use them as an excuse for a p*ss up afterwards lol

most churchs are pretty strict well i know roman catholics are. dont think church of england is.
you usually have to attannd church a good 6months every sunday untill they will do your children. but i was told about this certain church and he dont mind if you go often or not, and its my local church to i am in the parish.

my mum had all 4of us baptised but my little brother who is 5 has not yet been done she is getting him done with my 2 for the reason that she dont want him to be different. but he is in a brillaint school a small school with the best results, i think RC schools are going down hill any ways. but it just turns out round by me all the infant jounior schools with the best results and huge waiting lists are catholic.

and it is going to be really nice for my 2 kids and Tyler to all get done together and get all the family together :D

but i want to get married in a church of england church as them churchs are much nicer really old all the newer churchs are R.C

lou said:
Hi

I have a spare half hour today. Yay! Wanted to ask you all about christenings. How many of you are getting or have already got your baby christened? We are not religious although Isaac goes to a christian playgroup every week where they sing religious songs and say the lords pray. (Isaac is obviously too young to understand just yet). I am already a god parent, even though I haven't been christened and I am going to be a god parent again next month.

Is it really about faith in god or is a christening just something people do like getting married in a church and having a funeral in a church?

Just interested in your opinions as always!

TBH I think it boils down to your own views. To me it would be a big deal. We have just had Dan's naming ceremony. It's a ceremony performed by a register and is basically the non religious version of a christening. It was a wonderful day and as OH and I are strictly non-religious we could never have had a religious service. This issue must be arising more and more as obviously you can now have a non religious ceremony. As for the 'faith in god or is a christening just something people do like getting married' thing, I'm pretty sure you have to make an oath to god. If he does exist he would probably count this as a big deal and forever binding! But that's just my opinion, I know loads of people that aren't religious yet still have church weddings, christening etc

If you go to a RC school do they still teach you catholicism? I've always wondered :think:

Misslarue said:
If you go to a RC school do they still teach you catholicism? I've always wondered :think:

the school i went to we had religious education 3 times a week
we were taught about no other religion then catholic

It's different here in Ireland, kids are usually baptised younger. Naomi was christened at a month old.

I'm a roman catholic and a primary school teacher and in most state schools (the majority of which are RC) here the rule is a half hour of religious instruction per day, more if you are preparing for sacraments.

So I have to teach religion whether I like it or not.

Don't like that.

Sue

Well we had ella christened as i am religious, i got christened and confirmed when i was 11 as my mum wanted it to be my choice but for ella i wanted her christened, ivan wasnt 100% behind it but hes glad she has been now

i had Bray Christened at 7 months old
i personally am not a religous person, but it just felt rite to have Bray Christened.

I didn't have Josh christened or get married in a church. As I'm not religious and don't attend the church regularly, I couldn't see any reason to do so, and I think its cheeky to ask them to provide the service when you don't regularly support them. It would be as relevant as me asking the local mosque or synagogue if they would mind letting me have one of their ceremonies so I can have a party.
None of my nieces or nephews are christened for the same reason, we're considering naming ceremonies for the new babies though and I think I'd just have a big welcoming party instead. :D

Its reassuring to know that some of you are not religious. Sometimes I feel as though I'm the only person who doesn't believe in god. I do always wonder though how I can be buried or cremated without it being church related? :think:

Isaac can make his own mind up about it all when he is older and then he can be baptised if he chooses. I want him to attend an ordinary school where he can learn about all religions and cultures, not just one religion taught in a biased way. And to be honest I think children believe what they are told and if you waited for a child to be old enough to decide for themselves whether to believe in god I wonder how many would believe and how many wouldn't? I find the whole thing fascinating.

lou said:
Its reassuring to know that some of you are not religious. Sometimes I feel as though I'm the only person who doesn't believe in god. I do always wonder though how I can be buried or cremated without it being church related? :think:

Isaac can make his own mind up about it all when he is older and then he can be baptised if he chooses. I want him to attend an ordinary school where he can learn about all religions and cultures, not just one religion taught in a biased way. And to be honest I think children believe what they are told and if you waited for a child to be old enough to decide for themselves whether to believe in god I wonder how many would believe and how many wouldn't? I find the whole thing fascinating.

Are you in the UK? then you can have a non religious ceremony at your local crematorium chapel (council owned "chapel" just means the building where services are held but its not a religious building) no hymns, no vicar no religion. A bit of music you liked and a choice of speakers - family and friends etc telling stories and saying goodbye.

i was christened long story but it was summit to do with my grandad wont go into now

but i was always brought up to believe in wot i wanted i was never forced to go to church etc thats the way i will be with Bray

lou said:

The whole thing fascinates me too. I wasn't brought up in religious household, just the usual........parents believed in a god but didn't practice it and certainly broke a few commandments and yet I was very religious. I attended Sunday school for years, church camp, midnight mass and bible studies. I was the only one in my family. I wasn't even made to! :lol: :lol:
I have the same attitude towards Dan and religion. I would hate for him to be taught at school about any particular one in detail. Just an out line of each (although TBH I'd rather do it myself) and let him make up his own mind when he is informed and mature enough to do so.

Sarah&Braydon said:
i was christened long story but it was summit to do with my grandad wont go into now

but i was always brought up to believe in wot i wanted i was never forced to go to church etc thats the way i will be with Bray

Thats cool Sarah but to be fair you have kind of already signed Bray up to be a christian by getting him christened. But I know what you are saying, as he grows up he can make choices and follow whatever path he decides.

libs said:
lou said:

Are you in the UK? then you can have a non religious ceremony at your local crematorium chapel (council owned "chapel" just means the building where services are held but its not a religious building) no hymns, no vicar no religion. A bit of music you liked and a choice of speakers - family and friends etc telling stories and saying goodbye.

Wow! Thats for me then. I never knew about that so thanks! I don't like to be morbid but its quite important really isn't it.

Another religious question that I wonder about.....You know if you go to court and swear an oath on the bible....what about us non-religious people?!

I know thats not christening related but I have always wondered about it!

you don't have to swear on any religious book if you don't want to - you simply swear to tell the truth etc - I did this in court.

A friend of mine's son was baptised C of E, and then changed to RC so that he could get into a school. I have another friend who never baptised any kids - and then someone else I know had a naming ceremony where she consumed some of the placenta. I say - do what fits you! Here, church and state are way too close together and the RC church has fingers in way too many pies schoolwise.

At a job interview, one of the standard questions I would be asked (there is always a priest on the interview board) would be how I would foster a Catholic ethos in my classroom.

Catholic, Shmatholic. Christian I am, RC affiliated sure, but I've been to C of E services and I see no difference. But if I said this in an interview, I wouldn't get the job. Trust me. So like many people I play the system, tell them what they want to hear, and believe my own beliefs privately. I am required to give children the company line, and their parents have no objection, so why should I worry?

I love to see the growth of what they call "educate together" schools in Ireland. I think that's the approach that we need here. Ireland has been isolated and insular too long, and that is what gives our country its racist reputation.

Having said that, though, Naomi is going to a Catholic school. Strange eh?

Oops :rotfl: :shock:

Rant alert!

Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen