christenings

Kimbo

Reaction score
i want to get Leah christened when she's a few months old.
but..

do you have to go to church before?
does it matter what religion you are? (i'm not even sure what religion i am!) lol
because i've never been to church (expect in school), but i thought if you want your child to be christened then you have to start attending?
i was christened if that makes any difference :think: :think:

idk im not christening milliepops coz we're not religious but i want a naming ceremony for her this spring.
sorry that wasnt much help!

I would second that. Christening is a religous event you are promising to bring your child up a certain way. If you are not religous I would go for a naming ceremony.

hi hun you have to go the week before the wedding just to hear your childs name read to say they are being christened the week or so after and then we had to go to a little meeting just for them to tell us what would happen and where everyone would stand, the godparents had to come to that to, the only thing that we had to make sure was that the god parents had been christened as we had to fill a form in to say where we had all been christened

so is a naming ceremony the same as a christening ?

a naming ceremony is the non-religious way of celebrating. I'd go for that if you're not religious......

Sammystar said:
a naming ceremony is the non-religious way of celebrating. I'd go for that if you're not religious......

ah right thanks

The churches requirements are different depending on the individual churhc. I am assuming you are thinking CofE which tends to be less stringent. However our church we needed to attend for several months in advance of getting Ellie christened. Not an issue as I wanted to start going back to church reguarly anyway.

when we got emma christened we didnt have to do anything except obviously promise to bring her up a certain way but thats part of the christening. we didnt need to attend church at all which was handy as the church we used was the one we got married in 70 miles away so going every sunday would have been difficult :lol:

I think al chruches are different

At our local church you have to go to sunday service for 4 weeks before they will even book the christening.

We didnt get Olivia christened at our local church as we wanted her christened at another church and all we had to do was go to a rehersal where the vicar just went through the service and stuff.

We did have to get permission form our local vicar to have her christened at another church tho

You can get information about Naming Ceremonies from your local Registrars office. When you go to register the birth ask about it and they will be able to give you some info.

I don't think you have to have a Naming Ceremony through a Registrar, but if you want something a little more formal but not religious this might be the choice for you.

Yes a Christening is a religious sacrement and a naming Ceremony is a celebration of your baby and their chosen name.
When we had Isaac christened we had to attend 6 meetings beforehand and one Sunday Mass.
I am RC and wanted Isaac to be too, although when he's older if he chooses not to be that's his decision, for now I am his Mummy and know best.
One of his godparents is RC the other is not really anything religious wise, but was still allowed to be godparent as the eyes of the church see them as a witness to the child.
I think if you don't have a faith then a naming ceremony makes more sense, as christening is not just about naming the baby but so many other things too, very best wishes :hug:

When I had DD christened I had to go church for 6 weeks (on a sunday) and went to the vicarage to watch a couple of videos with the godparents and all godparents had to have been christened.

Havent had Eefie christened yet as I'm waiting for other LO and OH's mum to come over to meet them.

Sorry to highjack your thread but .... I would like Jake to be christened but OH isn't keen as he isn't religious and thinks it's all a load of rubbish :roll: . If we do get Jake christened though then does it matter that OH hasn't been christened if I have been.

I dont think it matters although the vicar at my church insisted the godparents were all christened.

Show your OH the video of Warlock, he might change his mind then ;)

:wave:

We'll get Abigail christened as you know but we're not particularily religious. It just feels like the 'right' thing to. We got married and christened Jonah in the same church and although we have moved into the next parish along, the same Rev will perform the ceremony in the same church. Maybe because he is a family friend....but I don't think he would do anything different because of that.

We didn't have any meetings or practises or 'have' to attend church before hand.... he says that the church is trying to encourage people to attend, not force them.

I kind of think things are different in very rural areas though as we all know everone.We do go occaisionally (rarely) of our own free will though.... :lol:

I quite like the idea of a naming ceremony...do you choose Godparent equivelents then?

Dunno.. if you're not religious, having a Christening is a bit pointless tbh.

The whole point of Christening your child, is that you make a promise in front of the church, the congregation (your religious family) and therefore god... to raise your child in the way of Jesus Christ and that you will teach the child that he is their saviour... as well as introducing the baby to the family of the church.

As that is not what you are willing to do.. then it seems a bit hypocritical and pointless to do it...

A naming ceremony is just as good... and there are loads of sites on the internet that can give you ideas... Then its more a celebration welcoming the baby to the world and your family, which has a much nicer ring behind it for non religious people. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back