Christening info

handbagqueen

Reaction score
Nothing like having a baby to make you realise how much you don't know!

I am, yet again, clueless... we have booked Lilys christening for feb 15th. Church and bar booked for after... now what?!

I have no idea about how these things normally run- should we have food, champagne, music?? What do people normally do? None of the people I know with babies are Catholic and the last time i went to one i got very drunk and don't really remember it :oops:

Also, is Lily supposed to have some sort of shawl?

Please help me!

Hey honey, are you having a rehearsal with the priest, we did. And yes you will need a shawl,we got ours from debenhams xx

maria1976 said:
Hey honey, are you having a rehearsal with the priest, we did. And yes you will need a shawl,we got ours from debenhams xx

Not sure about rehearsal..priest just said we'd meet up just before the event to discuss final details like hymns etc ( his actual words) he was in a hurry to leave us! so now i'm clueless :?

ours wasnt a catholic christening but heres what we did.we had our service in the church,beforehand hired the church hall which is next to the church,we decided we wanted it to be a child friendly partty afterwards so we just made a buffet,had a cake made,put a hi fi in the corner and had 45 minutes of party games for the kids.we all had a really good time.we did pass the parcel,musical statues etc and the parents even joined in.we decided not to have alcohol at the party except for a few bottles for a toast.theparty lasted for 2 hours after that we invited a few (godparents and close family) back to ours for a 'proper' drink.

dont know if thats any use to you.im sure you will have a great day :hug:

We didn't need a shawl, she was christened on a warm day in September in a christening gown and i carried a white blanket just in case, though the two boys had little suits type things on and the other girl was about 3 so in a party dress, we just had wine and food and some music afterward and people got to have a poke of Tally lol, was a good day though i was so tired afterward.

MIne was a catholic service and there was no option of a rehearsal. I kept things very informal and booked a buffet at a local pub/hotel afterwards. I made my own cake and didn't bother with any champagne or decorations which I personally think are a bit unneccasary for me especially as money is a bit tight right now.

James wore a christening gown which was made for me as a baby. I carried a white blanket too just in case. My church insisted i attend a couple of preparation meetings and we talked about the symbolism of a white garment, the oil and water used during the service and that's about it really. Everything else is up to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back