chicken pox

suz

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a question about chicken pox. I took my 2 to a playgroup today where there were some children who had just had chicken pox, as I am so early pregnant ( 4 weeks 3 days ) I thought it would be best if we didn't hang around.

My mum can't remember if I have had chicken pox as a child, although I have a very vague memory.

Anyway is it really bad to come into contact with it? My dh doesn't normally worry like I do ( good job really ) but even he said he would rather I didn't stay. Anyway I cannot hibernate for the next 8 months or so, so wondered what the advice is. Am not worried about today as I was only there 10 minutes but don't want the boys to miss out on things if they don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Suzy

I know that it's not good to come into contact with people that have chicken pox whilst early in pregnancy, i just can't remember why though,soz

""Chicken pox is highly infectious and is spread by droplets through the air and via contact. The infection causes fever, a feeling of generally being unwell and an itchy rash that develops into small vesicles which crust over before healing.

The incubation period is on average two weeks, which means that it can be brewing this long before even showing itself, and a person is infectious (can transmit chickenpox to another person) from two days before the rash appears until after the vesicles crust over.

Risks to the Baby

Firstly, if the mother has definitely had chicken-pox, there is no risk to the baby or her. In any case, even if she doesn't recall having had chicken pox, it is likely she has antibodies (80% do) from a silent (asymptomatic) infection. So if there's any doubt about it, she should see a doctor for a blood test to check if she's immune.

Risks to the baby are important at the following two times, if mum gets chicken-pox:

1. Before 20 weeks - risk of chicken pox syndrome. This is actually quite rare. Up until 14 weeks the risk is about 0.4%, whereas between 14-20 weeks it is 2%. If a woman has VZ-Ig treatment (see below) after being exposed, the risk is even lower.

2. Mum's rash developing within a week before delivery to a month afterwards. It takes about a week for mum to pass the protective antibodies to the baby, so if born before that time, the babe is at risk of overwhelming infection after birth.

Between 20 weeks and term there is no risk to the baby. The other big risk of chicken pox is to the mother. She is much more likely, during pregnancy, to get a chicken pox pneumonia (10%) which can be very severe (even life-threatening). """

Adult chicken pox is called shingles and is apparently not very nice at all. It will make you very ill, which you do not want to add to pregnancy symptoms, or risk giving to the baby..

Hi

I know if you get it as a adult its much much worse.
Katrina

hiya, my grnadmother in law has shingles and we areall supposed to be going to sil for a birthday party on saturday, should I stay away? (sorry for gate crashing, just thought as we were on the subject! :oops: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back