Cheese question

lmarszall

Reaction score
Hi,

I am at work and getting a bagueete from the sandwich shop for lunch.

i really fancy cheese but i know we can't have brie, stilton or anything unpasturised.

Can i have goats cheese, or is it unpasturised? And what about Roquefort?

I really am craving a smelly strong cheese!

Love Lau
xx

Hi Lau

You can only have those sorts of cheeses if they are cooked, so if they were in a pannini or something like that it would be ok.

In my first pregnancy I craved all the cheeses you couldn't have and didn't realise right until the end that if they're cooked it's ok as it kills off the bad bacteria. I had my mum bring in circle of camenbert for me at the maternity ward.

Goats cheese isn't pasturised generally, and blue cheese is a no no, but again if they are cooked they are ok.

Hope this answers your question. :)

is mozerlla ok if its used on pizza or cooked or cold in pasta?

Yeah i am sure Mozerella is pasturised, it should say on the packet or ask on the deli if your buying in a supermarket. if it's cooked it's def fine.

Normally i'd ask if i when i bought it but without work people finding out i'm a bit stuck, lol!

What happens if you do eat it? Only as i ate stilton and blue cheese before i knew.

Is the bacteria always harmful or is it only if you actually get sick from it. If you know what i mean??

ta
lau
x

I wouldn't like to say, I've had friends who have eaten blue and soft cheeses all the way through their pregnancies and been fine, but I feel that if your advised to not eat them then there would be good research to back it up.

I've eaten all the cheeses your not suppose to before finding out I was pregnant, both times and all was well, I do think it is a small risk, but a risk all the same.

I'm sure if you have eaten these cheeses in small quantities you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry. Next time you crave some unpasturised cheese, have it on a pizza or something where it is cooked right through.

Good plan.

I had good old chedder in the end. But i know i ate blue cheese before i found out i was pregnant!

Thanks for the help, lol!

Lau
x

just found this on the net hun hope it helps

It’s really all about Listeria monocytogenes. This bacterium is found in raw, unpasteurized milk and any cheeses or other dairy products made from it. It can cause a potentially deadly disease called listeriosis.

Listeriosis usually isn’t a big problem in healthy individuals, but pregnancy makes you more vulnerable. This bacteria is about seventeen times more likely to cause an infection in pregnant women than in the normal population. Listeriosis usually only causes mild “flulike” symptoms but the real problem lies in the fact that it can be transferred across the placenta and harm the baby. Listeria during pregnancy can cause miscarriage, premature rupture of membranes, premature birth, and very serous infections in newborns including meningitis.

think id rather be safe than sorry :D xxxxxx

I live in France and you can only get soft/unpasturised cheeses here.....next time I have a French lesson Im going to ask my French Teacher if French women are told they cant eat brie, camembert etc...

I have a feeling they all eat cheeses right through their pregnancy, but we will see!

OOoh dear. I agree best not to risk it.

I find it easier to not eat or drink things when i know why they are bad!

It's like booze and smoking. Wouldn't dream of it when pregnant as you know how bad it is. But when you see some yummy cheese..........

But i have been well and truly put off now!

ta,
Laura
xx

EllieBelle, I asked my GP about this and cured meats.

She told me that she's pretty sure French pregnant women do eat that sort of thing.
They are used to it since childhood and they should be sort of inmune (IYKWIM). Most likely, French doctors don't even mention them to pregnant women over there (although I may be talking rubbish!)

Still, I'm used to that sort of thing since childhood but I'm keeping well away from them until the end!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back