cats

mum2A&L

Reaction score
right - my cat is acting funny. she is about 11 months old, hasn't been fixed yet, but is meowing at anything and everything. seems very cuddly, and keeps shoving her back side in the air.

am i right in thinking she is in season (is that even the right phrase?)?

she keeps following my OH around meowing at him. its cracking me up!! :rotfl:

yep my friends cat had its arse in the air all the time the horny lil bugger :wink:

Yup your puddy is in heat. Keep your eye out for her spraying though cause some female cats do that. Thankfully mine has had an injection that should see her through till May.

It can be very funny to watch though.

she is currently running backwards and forwards from the kitchen to the bedroom. every time we call her name, she drops her face down and shoves her bum in the air and meows!

It can be anything from a few days, to 2-3 weeks hun xx

Yep, shes on heat. I'd call the vet if i was you... it can go on for ages and my sis's cat used to dribble everywhere (sorry TMI) :puke:

oh god! she is funny at the mo, but 3 weeks!!! :shock:

i was thinking about letting her have 1litter. not this time though. is it loads of hard work with a baby to look after as well? are there loads of vet trips if it all runs smoothly?

Nope, if she seems fine and its all running smoothly then you shouldnt need to go to the vets at all...bar if you were worried and for a check up.

Would you be keeping the litter? :D

And its not massivly hard work but a litter is usually between 3-5. We got 5, 3 went to new homes. It would of been very hard work with all of them. Never mind very expensive! Jabs, flea treatments, worming, collars, food etc... :?

samrbtson said:
oh god! she is funny at the mo, but 3 weeks!!! :shock:

i was thinking about letting her have 1litter. not this time though. is it loads of hard work with a baby to look after as well? are there loads of vet trips if it all runs smoothly?

Defo in season!
To be honest there are so many cats out there wanting homes from the cat shelter i personally would get her neutered. You mau also find she will start 'calling' (howling) to attract a mate, and you may end up with a lot of the local tom cats hanging around.

found this:

F.A.Q Kittens & Cats

How can I tell if my cat is in season?

Cats in season show a series of symptoms:

A cat becomes more vocal, and her 'calling sounds' are very different
She will roll on the floor, crouch on all fours, shake her pelvis and rub against people and furniture
Some cats look as though they are writhing in agony
Female cats have mating cycles, and the hormones that activate these cycles are affected by the time of year, usually in mid winter, spring and again in late summer and autumn
During these seasons, a female cat will go into heat every two to three weeks and stay in heat for days at a time until she's mated
Cats that live indoors with controlled lighting or in warm climates, cycle all year round so can be in season all the time

little raver...
Not particularly fussy our Queenie – something tells her she has to multiply. And although she’s less likely to fight (“for a man? – oh please…”) the amount of Toms Queenie will get through in a year puts her at equal risk of catching one of those same fatal diseases.

20,000 descendants...
HOW MANY? Yep. Left unneutered, Queenie could have up to 20,000 descendants... on her conscience in just five years. Bear in mind that the kittens have to be fed for several weeks before they can be homed and Queenie will be on extra rations too. It's actually more expensive to feed a mum-cat and litter once, that it is to have her spayed.

but surely, just one litter...?
The myth says that Queenie should have at least one litter of kittens.
Not true. If she never gets to experience kitten-birth little Queenie will be
a) none the wiser and b) saved from the complications that may come with it. She could get pregnant at just five months old when she’s only a baby herself. She’ll probably have 2–4 litters a year and quite apart from the wear and tear ravaged on her little bod, it looks like Queenie will need those nine lives too. Given that cats don't recognise their kittens until the first squeal, which sets in place the memory, it would actually seem kinder to have her spayed before the first pregnancy.

o romeo...
Quite partial to a little sing-song at 4am is our Queenie, after all she’s got to let Tom know she’s out on the town hasn’t she? Shame the neighbours don’t share her enthusiasm.

do her a favour...
If you love your little Queenie you can save her from all this strife by having her neutered as soon as you can. She too will be happier - female cats in season can actually get quite stressed by all the calling and anxiety of perpetually seeking a mate. Bet she'd much prefer to spend the evening by the fire with her family.

So if you love them, be a responsible owner and book your cats in for neutering TODAY.

id think very carefully about letting her have a litter.

all being well she might not need a vet.

but if she has complications, she may need a c-section. which can be quite costly.

also, where would the kittens go? there are so many in rescue.

do you know the history of your cat? the pedigree?

and also for the possible male?

if your serious, this will need to be looked into. and prefrably homes ready lined up.

good luck

I was going to say that but I didnt want to seem horrible...coco got pregnant just before she was due her spaying!! It was very hard letting the ones that went go...and you have to make sure you have really good homes lined up....Id save the hassle and get her done....If you want another kitten have a rescue one :D

mmm.. they are all points. thanks girls. :hug:

i need to sit down with oh and see what he thinks. :think:

she is just such a beautiful cat, she would have beautiful kittens :)

cheers again girls! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back