cats with a new baby

jolene

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just hoping that i could pick peoples brains and have some info on other peoples experiences.

I have two cats at home and my partners mother keeps saying that i should not let the cats near the baby, not let them in babies room and make sure i keep them locked out at night so that they dont go near the baby.

This isnt because the cats are spiteful or will scratch the cats, they are very soppy and wouldnt hurt a fly, but has more to do with the cat hair or them trying to sleep with the baby.

Now obviously i agree with the sleeping with the baby thing and i def dont want them to get in the cot, but i also dont want to kick them out.

Has anyone here had problems with cats and a new baby or do you find that the cats adjusted easily and you just have to make sure that they arent alone in the room with the baby?

what do you think???

I hve never known a problem with a cat, also you can buy nets to go over cots and prams to deter the cat from going into the cot itself.

My sister has a newborn baby and 6 cats (at last count) and has no probs the cats know there boundies and if babs screams you dont see em for dust!!

I think its just common sense!

My cat completely avoided me and the baby for the first few weeks, but I always made sure the bedroom door was shut at night just in case. It's the same with any animal, just use your common sense and don't leave them unattended with the baby. No need to shut them out completely.

My cats hate noise so I dont have a problem with them really getting too close, however I DONT want cat hairs all over the nursery, babies bedding etc, so I recently installed a dog gate (I also have a dog), so the cats have access to most of downstairs, but can no longer get upstairs - the dog gate is much higher than a child gate and the bars are close together so they cant squeeze through. I have put their beds etc downstairs now and although its taken a couple of weeks they are slowly getting used to the new way of living!

Just in case one of them sneaks through I have also put a cot net over the cot for added protection!

If you decide to make any changes then I would definitely suggest doing it asap!

I think it's just about being sensible.

When I was away for a couple of days my mum was coming round to see to see to the cats (and other animals) and brought round the Moses basket for me. She put it in black bin bags and on the dining table but by the time I got home the next day, one of the cats had managed to get through the bin bags and had a lovely sleep in the Moses basket and all over the bedding (fur covering almost every inch! :roll: )

The cats aren't allowed in our room at night (as one of them likes lying on Neil's chest and touching his face and he got fed up! :rotfl: ) so I have no worries about that and during the day I think baby will always be with/watched by either of us. I might get a cat net to go over the Moses basket when it is not in use though...

The car seat is sat in the car because the cats thought it was a wonderful new bed (and it didn't matter where I tried to hide it, they always seemed to manage to find it and curl up in it!)

Neil is most worried about what to do with the cats as we are hoping to have baby at home (we've nowhere we can really shut them in for any length of time and the neighbours would probably call the RSPCA anyway as they howl is shut in anywhere!) When the midwife came round for my bookling appointment, one cat went in her bag and ran off with the piece of material they stick round your arm when taking blood (for the life of me can't think what it's called!) and the other decided to lie down on all the paper work and ask for his tummy to be stroked! :roll: :rotfl:

Hi,

I have 1 cat who's an indoor cat. I was worried about how she'd be with the baby, climbing into the Moses basket etc. When I got Isla home on Monday, the cat albeit a bit shocked and wondering what was going on has adjusted superbly. She doesn't go near the Moses basket in our bedroom (she also sleeps in the bedroom with us as she has to be shut out of other areas of the flat and she has her own bed) she doesn't scratch Isla or show any signs of jealously towards her. We're doing our best to give her plenty of attention, lots of cuddles and she loves to be groomed, occasional treats and she's been fine. In the daytime she just takes herself off to the bedroom when we have Isla in the living room with us. At night she puts herself to bed and isn't bothered with Isla crying at night. She's come up to the Moses basket and had a sniff around, but she knows that she's not allowed to get in it and just walks off after having a nose to see what's in it!

I hope things work out fine for you, the cats and your baby! xxx

Thank you so much guys for your help.

Its all really positive which is great.

Think going by what you guys have said i will just stop worrying and just go with whatever happens as it seems no-one has really had a problem.

We have 2 indoor cats. They don't sleep in our room at night as they purr too loudly all through the night and i don't let them in the nursery. I will continue to be like this when bubs is here.

When we first got our buggy and were putting it together, one jumped in the buggy and another in the shopping basket underneath, it was very funny

i know their fur wont hurt baby but i will still worry

Hi,

I've got two indoor cats and a four month old bubba - and it's brilliant! The male cat is very soppy and will sit under the bouncy chair while babe is in it. He'll also let her pull his tail and will sleep next to her when she is downstairs. Sometimes her loud pitch squeals make him jump! The female cat is a little more wary of her and keeps her distance a bit more, but comes in for the odd sniff every now and again.

I've had no problems with either and I was also a bit worried about this before delivery. I don't let the cats in the nursery at night time, but I have let them in there during the day while I am putting clothes away, cleaning, etc, just so they can have a nose. The more you involve pets with babe and vice versa, the less likely either party gets nasty.

I was brought up with pets and as a kid I loved it! So this is how I feel for my baby girl. My hubby was a bit wary as he never had pets as a kid, so he wasn't sure if they would hurt her. But I let them go up to her and I let her poke them. They have never once looked like scratching her or anything and she will sit and watch them all the time.

As long as you are sensible and never leave baby alone and keep the house clean of fur/litter/etc, it should all be fine. Good luck!! x

We have two (extremely naughty) house cats. They hated the baby and still do... At first they avoided the baby like the plague...They loved to get into her things like the cot and pram... but never when she was there.

Now they "tolerate" her but if they can get away from her they are gone like lightning. Just lil miss is now dead quick and catches them. One has battered her head (without claws) when she came after him. He got told off and hasn't done it again and to be fair shes rather harsh to them... she pulls their ears, tails, pokes their eyes... and I get annoyed with her doing that to me :lol:

As for the cat hair... drives me mad but its never really been a major issue and apparently kids who have had pets from birth suffer less allergies and allergic illnesses.. :)

Squiglet is right about the hair exposure and allergy risk being lowered. Also, I have two cats. They are incredibly friendly and tend to sleep on me if they get the chance. When Jacob first arrived I was nervous about letting them in the room at night in case they ended up trying to sleep on him! D: But I soon realised that they were afraid of him, even though they aren't afraid of anyone. I eventually let them in at night when I was awake, just to see what would happen. Before Jacob was born they always tried to get into his bed, but as soon as they associated it with him, they didn't go near it. We let them back into our room pretty quickly and now they aren't afraid of him but they will still only approach him if he is being held by me. They will rub his feet or head, and that's about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back