cats and babies

Fiona

Reaction score
need some advice please...

we have 5 cats, thought we couldn't have children and just kept getting cats !!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am now pregant with my first baby - Yippee !!!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

2 of the cats are 10, 2 are 8 and one is just 5 months old, they are all very well behaved and adorable... but like all cats love jumping on laps, sleeping on the bed and getting into boxes etc...

how do I stop them getting into the cot and pram etc etc ??????

any ideas would be very much appreciated - thanks
Fiona

Hi Fiona,
I had 4 cats and loving as they were they were quite scared and wary of the baby and I never really had a problem with them getting in the pram and cot as they wouldnt go near her.

You can buy various shades and nets though for prams and cots which hinder their attempts to get near baby should they get curious.

Good luck

My cat won't go anywhere near Brody :)

Beanie has lots of cats...I'm sure she'll have some advice.

I have no advice but congrats on your surprise BFP :D

urchin said:
My cat won't go anywhere near Brody :)

Beanie has lots of cats...I'm sure she'll have some advice.

:rotfl: am I the cat lady hehe?

I just started getting my cast used to not going in the bedroom and the nursery. I have found that they tend not to bother with her. One time she was asleep on my bed, and when I checked her I found Toby on the bed (it was his usual spot) but he was the other end, wouldn't go near her. Casper will go near her and play but walks away if it gets to much. Just make sure you still make time to give them cuddles when baby is here and everyhting will be fine x

Congratulations by the way :cheer:

thanks for the advice ladies...........

beanie... we also ahve a cat called casper... he is a big black and white bruiser - but talk about a gentle giant...

I just love all my cats and will definately make sure they get lots of attention once baby is here.

Hi, We have 2 cats and have not had any bother with them and our baby girl. Like others said they were a bit weary of her and never get that close. They have never tried to get in the pram or cot. We just make sure they still get lots of attention and i always try and spend some time with them without the baby being around. i am sure all you cats will be fine and they will accept the baby as part of the family :D good luck :D

We've got 4 cats and recently had our first baby.

We made sure our cats were allowed in the nursery when we were getting it ready so they'd had a good sniff of the new furniture etc. They did climb in the wardrobe, chest and bookcase. On the odd occassion one or two of them did jump into the cot and moses basket but we immediately told them off and got them out so they know it's not a place for them to be.

We've bought a cat net for the cot and it's been on for months, they know not to go in there.

On the first couple of nights at home I was worried about them trying to get into the moses basket during the night but I had nothing to worry about. They've never tried whilst Isaac has been in there and no better than to try when it's empty.

Our cats have reacted so well to Isaac, I was worried sick all pregnancy about it because we think so much of our cats.

My advice is let them be apart of everything as you get things ready leading up to the birth. The worst thing you can do is shut them out of the nursery etc as that will heighten their curiosity.

We also took a sleepsuit to hospital and brought it home before the baby came home so they could have a good sniff. Once we brought the baby home, they all had a good sniff of him and it was business as usual. Now, we all cuddle up together.

Sorry answered more than your question. I volunteer for a cat rescue charity and it saddens me when people feel they need to give up their cats just because they're having a baby. Just want to let people know cats and babies can live in harmony.

I second that, and would like to add that whenever Casper (my Casp is black and white too :D ) comes into the room Seren gets all excited and calls to him, she loves playing with him. And when I am feeding Seren Peggy or Toby will lie down near by. Seren loves the cats and I am so pleased they are here. Can't wait til she is bigger and has her cat sleeping in bed with her etc, so cute.

beanie said:
Can't wait til she is bigger and has her cat sleeping in bed with her etc, so cute.

Its sooo nice. Jack (cat, hehe) will go to sleep on the sofa bed in Jessicas room. He has never been brave enough to jump up unto her bed, it wouldnt bother me now as she is a lot bigger. Im sure he will have a go once the winter comes in. He is a 'on your feet' cat.

thanks so much for all your replies, really put my mind at rest. We just love our cats, they are the babies we thought we could never have... and yes, plan for them to continue being a very important part of our family

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back