carrying older children

muppetmummy

Reaction score
I know they say not to lift anything heavy, what about older children?
James for example is 4 and a half and must weigh at least 3 stone. Is it safe to carry him? I carried him up the stairs earlier and I do struggle a bit.

well being as how i wont even lift a gallon of milk, i would say prob not a good idea

Brody was jumping all over me earlier :?

I stopped carrying Mason to bed and stuff when I was pregnant with Brody, he was 4 then too.

I lug Seren about and was carrying heavy bin bags today. If it doesn't cause pain or discoomfort I wouldn't worry, your body will let you know its limits.

Jamie is 4 and I don't carry him up to bed or anything like that, I'll make him hold my hand, but instinct has made me pick him up to give him a cuddle or if he has been upset. I think the main thing is just to be careful, sorry that wasn't much help was it :?

Thanks for the replies. I think I might try and put a stop to it. Just worried that it might make james resent the baby. Mind you, he won't even accept there is one yet. I've tried telling him there's a baby in my tummy, but he just says 'no there's not' like I'm really stupid.
Maybe he will believe me when I've got a bump :lol:

I found this

Is there a certain time during pregnancy when a woman should restrict the amount of weight she lifts? I work in a nursing home and my job involves constant lifting.

There is no rule specifying how much weight you can lift -- what is important is the manner in which you pick things up. Particularly during late pregnancy, hormones relax your ligaments and joints (this allows your pelvis to expand so that the baby can pass through), and your center of gravity shifts. Therefore, you must respect your joints and particularly your lower back. Wear flat shoes, and when lifting, do not bend your back. Instead, bend at your knees, keeping your back straight. If you listen to and respect your changing body, you should be fine.

from here

ugh it will not be nice when i have to work in my third trimester...im required to wear steel toed boots...do you know what that does to my back already??????..lol

breezee1984 said:
ugh it will not be nice when i have to work in my third trimester...im required to wear steel toed boots...do you know what that does to my back already??????..lol

Do they do any kind of risk assessment for you breezee? Over here employers are required by law to look at the risks in your job and change your working conditions accordingly.

For example, I work in a children's creche, I won't be allowed to take crying toddlers from their moms in case they kick me, I can't go to the sports hall when they are playing football or basketball in case I get hit in the tummy by the ball. Your employer should look at your job and make changes for you.

Hiya,

thanks for starting this thread, I'm really worried about that too as although Mel isn't quite 2 yet I do lift him a lot and I wasn't sure if I should. Thing is that he's really into the whole terrible twos, stubborn as a mule phase and sometimes the only way to get anything done is to remove him physically from a situation. Also he's still in a cot so I have to lift him out of that. I'm trying to bend my knees properly and make him walk when I can. It is difficult though isn't it?

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back