Carriers with less stomach pressure?

Sarah3

Reaction score
Hi all,

My son is 16 weeks and i would really love to be able to find a carrier/wrap/sling that would be suitable for him, and was hoping someone here might be able to recommend something?

Heres the problem though, i need one that doesn't have him pressed against me too much because he has reflux, and although he loves being upright and can tolerate being against somebody for short periods of time, he soon gets uncomfortable with the pressure on his stomach.

Ive tried the baba sling (me and baby hate that thing), a caboo style carrier that i cant remember the name of (i loved that, but baby hated being pressed against me that much) and a wilkinet carrier that drove me insane and i couldnt get the positioning right with (baby always seemed to be dangling off me no matter what i did).

Ive looked at so many carriers now my head is swimming :oooo:

Ive got weddings coming up too and so it would really make my life easier if i could find something before then.

So erm, please help :) Any suggestions as to a style of carrier that might work? Or am i looking for the impossible? :)

Have you looked at the moby wrap? Is his head control ok? If so the you could face him outwards less pressure on him then x

facing outwards is not recommended, as it puts their legs/hips in the unwanted position, so id try and stay clear of that if you can. have you had a look at other types of SSC? I have a connecta and find that DS doesn't always sit close to my body! though something like an ergo or manduca would be good for you as they have internal harnesses so would hold him away a little, other than that a ring sling might be handy, especially as you said about short periods. the best place to ask is probably on this facebook page >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/209783279077720/ there's lots of experienced mamas there :) best of luck xx

I have a Manduca baby carrier and it is great. From what I remember my LO wasn't pressed too close to me?
They can be pricey but totally worth the money, I love mine I just haven't used it as much as I wanted too.

xx

My baby is a few weeks older but I have just started carrying him on my hip in a ring sling (little frog brand) and he isn't pressed in too close. I have a Manduca too and love it, that and the ring sling are definitely less smooshed against me. I can't wear him too tight to me because we live in the tropics and it is waaaay too hot to have him.wrapped tight to me even though that is what I would prefer.

And yes, front facing outwards is not reccomended. Not only is it bad for their seat, hips, spine it is really uncomfortable for baby and mum as the spine curves away from you.

Would a woven wrap work, then you could adjust the pressure on his tummy depending on how tight you tie him in, and which hold you use. X

Thanks everyone, i do like the look of the manduca, have looked at them before, but think ive been put off by the fact that id have to buy online so couldnt try before i buy (especially with the price), but it looks very adjustable so dont think i'll run into problems with it?

I have quite a short torso it seems, and my baby is long, so im thinking its not helping with positioning?

Love the look of the connecta too, havent come across them before so will be looking into them some more.

Im leaning towards more of a carrier than a sling style just because i have a bad back, i find i cant hold my baby for more than 5 minutes at a time, so im assuming a carrier would be better for me than a sling because the weight is distributed over both shoulders and hips.

They do have a sling library near to me, but the next one isnt for a month (just missed it) so if all else fails i'll take LO and we'll try some on for size - but im hoping to have found one by then since the first wedding will be a few days afterwards :)

Oh, and thank you for the link Spice, will look at that tomorrow when im a little more awake :)

Last edited:
Do you not have a sling library near you? So that you can hire one out to try before you buy one. That's what I did and fell in love with the manduca xx

A wrap can be tied to position weight in a variety of different places. Xxx

We have a connecta too. Tried a few different ones through friends and definitely preferred the buckle type.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Thanks everyone - looks like we're going to go with a Manduca. I was expecting a bit more resistance from OH because of the price, but all i had to do was show him a review video and he was sold :) And as he said, its worth the money when you consider how much use its going to get.

Also liking the look of the Connecta and have always loved the look of wraps, so if the Manduca doesnt work out i might wait and go to the sling library and see if they have the Connecta to try and/or get somebody to teach me ways of tying the wrap so hes not so smooshed against me.

Looking forward to being able to get into some shops ive not been able to fit the pram into :D

That's great :) I hope it works well for you, and if you do decided it doesn't you'll easily be able to sell it on the STFSOT (the fb link above) page for the price you brought it for, as slings/carriers very rarely lose any value :) let us know how you find it xx

Well, in the end we actually got a Mei Tai, lol

We found a little independent baby shop that sold the Manduca, and so we went over there (bit of a distance away but worth it) and tried the Manduca and a few others on - asked if they had a connecta to try, and they said no but they had more traditional Mei Tai carriers. Well after a bit of fiddling about to get it right, LO was very happy - we need to roll up the body a little because he gets annoyed if he cant see properly, and also it turns out he likes being carried quite high up (legs just under my bust, but it isnt crazy high because my bust is quite, erm, ample) which we cant seem to get with a lot of other carriers.

So we're all happy campers :) Oh, we chose the Kozy by the way! I still need a bit of practise getting it on, but so far i really like it.

I have an ergobaby carrier (similar to manduca) but a bit less price for what I can remember. Also great with toddlers since it can take up to 25kg of weight

Have connecta here too:) They are based on mei tai but full buckle

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back