Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

DW1978

Reaction score
Had anyone had this or been diagnosed with it since being pregnant? I'm not sure if I have it or not and forgot to mention it to the midwife today. Over the last week or so I've noticed that when I stretch my left arm out to reach for something or sometimes when I'm typing on my keyboard, I get a tingling numbness in my thumb, first and middle fingers on my left hand. It literally only last second (till I move the position of my arm) and is just a bit weird and annoying, not painful or anything.

Just wondered if this is Carpal Tunnel, if I can/should do anything about it and if it is caused by the pregnancy, will it disappear after?

I had this with my first son and the only thing I remember is being in pain :( worst at night but I found that wearing a tubigrip over my hand helped xx

I have it anyway unfortunately for over a year :( very annoying! I can only recommend you not to use mouse/keyboard too much, and maybe rearrange them so you are more comfortable, otherwise it will only get worse later. It can get really uncomfortable!

Mines not painful, do you think it still could be? I have to use a keyboard for work from 9am-3pm Mon - Fri so can't really do a lot about that at the moment but hopefully it wont be for much longer!

yes, for me it started as tingling/numb feeling in my fingers and wrist.

if you have to use the computer, try taking regular breaks and stretching your fingers or hanging your arm down when you can (this is if your wrist also hurts).

if you can, use a special cushion for the keyboard and mouse to rest your hand on, and check that your table and chair are the right height. I also try to avoid using the mouse wheel, or sometimes I use the mouse in my left hand. I do have it quite bad though, so I guess you don't need to take it quite that far, but I would definitely recommend you not to ignore it! It started for me because my table was very low, but I ignored the first signs. Well, it got really bad really fast, and never went away. My own fault I'm afraid...

Great, thanks for the tips. Luckily I thing my boss will be pretty sympathetic to my plight as he's had it in both hands (from riding/racing motorbikes all his life) and has had them both operated on. Will see if I can get some supports ordered tomorrow.

I had this in the middle of my pregnancy. I worked on a computer and was always holding the phone up to my ear. I went to the doctor and they arranged for me to get some wrist splints which did help quite alot. I did end up taking early maternity leave though xx

Ive developed it since becoming pregnant, i cant do anything with my hands now without them going numb and getting pins and needles in them, i mentioned it to my consultant at the hosp and they gave me splints to sleep in, doesnt keep me up in the night anymore but still a pain in the backside throughout the day x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back