Carpal tunnel

Emmamb

Reaction score
I have a dull ache in my wrists (the right worse than the left) and a fuzzy sensation leadin up to my thumb,it's been on and off durin pregnancy but has bothered me quite a bit today (I can't seem to grip properly wiv my right hand) it's not painful,I just know it's there and the urge to shake my wrist and hand quite a bit (like I've got pins and needles) does this sound like carpal tunnel??
And is it worth goin to my gp if it is? What has others been prescribed/given for it?
I'm already on maternity so not as if I need a sick note or anythin and my doctors is really difficult to get in at and I don't fancy messin about gettin an appt just for him to say 'carpal tunnel' and send me on my way iykwim? Xxx

Last edited:
I went and was told only paracetemol npthing else. Mine started like that and now its worse esp at night but heat helps i wrap my hands around a hot mug and that eases it mine started in the right and is in both now a wrist support might help

I spoke to soon about it not been painful..I've just taken some paracetamol cos I'm in agony x

I cant bend my fingers some day its horrid the heat thing works tho x

mine really hurts and it travels up my arm into my elbow and shoulder aswell i jut take paracetomol i would talk to your midwife it might be quicker for u xx

just found this

Non-surgical treatments
Drugs - In special circumstances, various drugs can ease the pain and swelling associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonprescription pain relievers, may ease symptoms that have been present for a short time or have been caused by strenuous activity. Orally administered diuretics ("water pills") can decrease swelling. Corticosteroids (such as prednisone) or the drug lidocaine can be injected directly into the wrist or taken by mouth (in the case of prednisone) to relieve pressure on the median nerve and provide immediate, temporary relief to persons with mild or intermittent symptoms. (Caution: persons with diabetes and those who may be predisposed to diabetes should note that prolonged use of corticosteroids can make it difficult to regulate insulin levels. Corticosterioids should not be taken without a doctor's prescription.) Additionally, some studies show that vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) supplements may ease the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Exercise - Stretching and strengthening exercises can be helpful in people whose symptoms have abated. These exercises may be supervised by a physical therapist, who is trained to use exercises to treat physical impairments, or an occupational therapist, who is trained in evaluating people with physical impairments and helping them build skills to improve their health and well-being.
Alternative therapies - Acupuncture and chiropractic care have benefited some patients but their effectiveness remains unproved. An exception is yoga, which has been shown to reduce pain and improve grip strength among patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm gonna see what it's like over the wknd cos today's the ony day it's really bothered me. If it's still causin problems by mid week then il see if my doc will refer me to physio. Fx it eases off. Paracetamol seem to have worked at the mo xxx

good stuff, mine isnt too bad today but kept my hands warm gonna sleep with gloves again tonight as that seems to help even tho i look weird

I'm not sure if I have carpal tunnel as my symptoms are a little different to you both. I get it during the night when I'm sleeping, but basically my hands just go numb and I get pins and needles. I find it hard to clench my fists and it's worst when I'm feeling hot. Any ideas what this could be girls?

Last edited:
mine is worse when i clench my fists but am opposite with temperature x

I'm not sure if I have carpal tunnel as my symptoms are a little different to you both. I get it during the night when I'm sleeping, but basically my hands just go numb and I get pins and needles. I find it hard to clench my fists and it's worst when I'm feeling hot. Any ideas what this could be girls?

That's wot mine has been like(apart from the been hot) up til today,it doesn't usually bother me too much xx

worth getting checked out anyway Emma, incase gets worse later on

That's how mine started and was sooo bad by the time I had Toby that I had no feeling at all in my thumb and first 2 fingers on each hand and was in so much pain every time I woke up - I got splints to wear in bed from the physio and they did help a bit though. Hope it doesn't get too much worse for you :hug: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back