Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Anyone?

littlebump

Reaction score
Just as I thought I was having a relatively good pregnancy (comparatively speaking) I've started to develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. My wrists are painful and I've got no strength at all in my hands. Nothing they can do about it and I've been told most women find it disappears once baby is born, for some people it carries on during breast feeding and some people need surgery if it hasn't sorted itself out after a year. Hoping I'm one of the lucky ones. :(

Anyway the doctor is now ordering some splints for me to sleep in which should avoid me making it worse during the night by sleeping with my wrists in stupid positions.

Has anyone else had this? Apart from the splints, is there anything else I can do to relieve it and stop it getting any worse?

LBxx

hi hun... yeh ive got it too. i went to boots and got a support splint to wear to bed. it holds ur wrist at a 30 degree angle which helps the flow so it doesnt hurt or swell too much.. my mum was given them before she had corrective surgury for carpel tunnel... make sure u take into account your swelling as the 1st one i got fitted me late in the afternoon but not 1st thing on a morning! they really do help and actually help with odema too!

my gran is an aromatherapist and she sent me a specially made oil to massage into my legs and hands for the odeam (which is probably them reason for the carpel tunnel) its got lavender rose and getanium in it. u could buy it from holland and barrett and mix it urself or i could maybe send u a little bottle for u to try if u wanted.. let me know how the splints go xx

Hi Sasha

That's really sweet. I've got geranium and lavender - I could get some rose and mix some up as I've got some wheatgerm oil. Is it equal quantities of each do you know?

Good tip re. swelling - the mornings are definitely the worst. I thought the splint would keep your wrists straight though. Having them at an angle - does that keep you awake? I'm already not sleeping very well!

Thanks for responding

LBxx

Hi littlebump,
I have had carpel tunnel from pretty early on as well, its not been to bad for me though, I just wake with numb fingers in the morning, and I get shooting pains in my thumb and fore finger if I put to much weight on them. I got some wrist splints from my physio that keep my wrists out straight, I have posted a pic of them on my pregnancy diary. I dont find it to bad sleeping in them as I lie on my side with my arms bent in front of me, with my hands up near my face. The thing I find more of a pain in the arse is going to the loo in the night wearing them! can be a little akward!

woohoooo some one else suffering my pain.... ive suffered it for many years now... have steriod injections on a regular basis normally.. my dr refuses to operate as ive had too much surgery on both hands... but im hoping to go private after baby is born and get it done.

im having it so bad now im pregnant... i have the numbness all day and night...even shotting pains up my arms.. and it goes from fingers tips to shoulders... some times im crying in agony..

i find an ice pack strapped around my wrist helps take the pain away.... i brought a few so i always have one in the freezer. and sleeping is a pain in the arse now coz if i wear splint im in more pain in the morning,, so i sleep sitting up with pillows either side of me and keep my arms raised on them..and that seems to of helped... ibuprofen helps but not while we are pregnant.. but while breast feeding shud be fine.

its the the worse thing in the world coz there is nothing you can do and the sensation in ur arms is soo irritating

keep smiling.... its only temp for most (except me :cry: ) well if i get surgery done next week i will let you know how it goes

yeh soz it os lavender. rose, and guranium lol
gran said she uses 25ml base oil and used one drop per 25ml. and the essential oils are equal parts.. (or as equal as u can get with a number like 25!)
hope this helps..

It does -t hanks Sashsa. I've bought some rose essential oil so will mix some up and give some a go.

Wasn't able to get wrist splints at boots though - they just had support bandages, so I'm going to have to wait until I get some via my GP :(

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back