Car seat confusion

Hazel

Reaction score
Sorry, lots of questions today :oops:

I'm confused (it doesn't take a lot). I thought the next size up car seat was for when baby reaches 9 months but in Mothercare they had forward facing from 20lbs. I asked the salesgirl if there was an age restriction and she said no, just as long as baby is 20lb minimum. Some babies are 20lbs at 4 months but isn't that a bit young for forward facing?

Hazel said:
Sorry, lots of questions today :oops:

I'm confused (it doesn't take a lot). I thought the next size up car seat was for when baby reaches 9 months but in Mothercare they had forward facing from 20lbs. I asked the salesgirl if there was an age restriction and she said no, just as long as baby is 20lb minimum. Some babies are 20lbs at 4 months but isn't that a bit young for forward facing?

I asked this. Baby can be 20lbs OR 9 months BUT baby MUST MUST MUST be able to sit up on their own unsupported for 30 minutes before most places will let you purchase the seat.

We've just upgraded, as Connie's now about 19lb and sitting really well - and looking very crushed in her old seat!

I always thought it was 9 months because of concerns about the neck and other things. Younger and they don't have the strength or some such.

Even though Galen is a big boy and certainly hits the target weight for forward facing and then some I'm not put him forward facing so early. I am loathed to even at 9 months and am shopping round for a rear facing car seat to last him till he is 4. We skipped the infant carrier bit anyways and got a 0-4 car seat which we have used from birth.

They do say 20lb or 9 months but I personally wouldn't put a baby less than 9 months forward facing. In lots of countires they have a law that you are not allowed to put babies under one forward facing and many have their children rear facing until they are 4 as it is a lot safer in a collision.

I made a post about bigger carseats a few days ago, have a look down the list. There is a good link from Sherlock in there regarding bigger car seats.

x

Once Marcus got too big for his infant carrier seat (was over 20lb) we bought him a Nania seat from Argos which could do forward or rear facing. Until we were happy that he would be safe enough facing forward, we kept him facing backwards. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back