Can I save milk from letdown reflex?

Jessiecat

Reaction score
My other boob leaks a lot when I'm feeding so I was wondering if I can catch it in a sterile bottle and save it? I bet by the end of the day is have a full bottle and then just save it in the freezer?
Would it be too thin though with it just being the front milk?

From what I was told by the hospital it takes a few minutes of what expressing for the fat filled hind milk to come in so would imagine that the milk you would collect from let down would just be foremilk and therefore not very filling for baby. Worth a go though if you think you can collect quite a bit or to use as a top up if baby needs or wants some milk for comfort. X

For the first 10 weeks I used the breast shells and mixed the milk, which indeed is foremilk, with any milk I had pumped that day. I was leaking enough to collect an extra 30 ml or so a day. Every drop is precious.

Soon after the 10 week mark, my milk supy stabilized and I'm no longer as leaky.

Thank you all, so it's likely il not always have this much leaking?
Thanks for the link Caseysmummy, I may invest in a pair. I was quite full last time I fed and saved a whole oz! Amazing how much is wasted.

I used to leak like crazy in the early months, especially while feeding on the other boob, and got through endless breast pads. I can't remember when I stopped wearing them but it was after we started weaning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back