• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Callin all Midwives/nurses/night workers with small children

laetitia85

Reaction score
:wave:
I have a degree in media and mass communications but I really, really, really want to change my career path and be a midwife :cheer:

However I know that studying midwifery and working as a midwife requires me to work nights. :( I wouldn't mind, but I don't see myself working nights with a baby.
How do you manage? What type of childcare do you use? How are you finding it?

i think you should go for it....Tbh i don't know how long it takes to qualify but you prob won't have a baby by then, more like a school age child :lol: :lol: so if you can leave him with oh over night come home take him to school then go to bed it should work out fine...and i think you will only work 3 nights a week when on nights :think:

You don't have to do night for your first year of training :D After that I've no idea how I'm going to work it.

ASD123456 said:
You don't have to do night for your first year of training :D After that I've no idea how I'm going to work it.

oooooh great news, i didn't know that! :D but yeah, what's gonna happen after?? :?

ASD123456 said:

ooooooooooooooooooooooo when do you start? or have u already started?

which uni you at? or going to?

I'd love to do it but its this thought that puts me off, I just don't know how I would work it with the 3 boys :(

I think for me the only solution would be coming home on time to take him to nursery. But let's imagine how that would work:

If i start a shift at 7PM, I leave for work, meaning my OH has to give him a bath, feed him, put him to bed, then go to bed without his wife... :(

Then I come home at 7AM, get Kenzo ready, take him to nursery, come home and sleep all day...

Nah, I couldn't live like that.

My brothers and sisters all work, and my mum is a nurse, she works as well, no member of my family can look after him. this is tricky. :think:

lozzi said:
ASD123456 said:

Next year so sep 2009, I need to send my UCAS of this week in fact, I'm applying to Kingaston, Southbank, Kings college, Thames Valley and City uni. Lol, I'm applying to 5 to try and improve my chances. Doing an access at the mo becasue I didn't finish my A levels.

Are you doing it oo? Where will you be going? :D

ASD123456 said:
lozzi said:
ASD123456 said:

Next year so sep 2009, I need to send my UCAS of this week in fact, I'm applying to Kingaston, Southbank, Kings college, Thames Valley and City uni. Lol, I'm applying to 5 to try and improve my chances. Doing an access at the mo becasue I didn't finish my A levels.

Ive already applied - manchester, salford, huddersfield, uclan and ljmu :cheer:

Woohoo, goo luck. I'm putting off writing my personal statement, blerghhhhhhhhhhh. (Sorry Laetetia for crashing your thread)

i find nights ideal i work 2 shifts a week which consists of either a day and a night or 2 nights.

we have a childminder 1 day a week and my mum has luke if i work in the week however if i work on weekends OH has weekends off so he has luke, so it means we use a childminder 1 day a week and i use my mum maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

if i do a day shift (12.5 hours) DH drops luke to childminders 8-5 so he gets him up and does everything picks him up and gives him tea nad puts him to bed (although night before i pack his bag and do his meals etc)

if i'm on a night i get home at 8.30am ish and DH has already got luke up, often i just have to dress him and drop him off to childminders or my mums 9-4 while i sleep.

it works really well you just have to work a s a team and you need a good OH too. mine is a gem. not sure how he'll get on with 2 though!! :D

i'm only part time couldn't do this full time but if you love your job its great! and you appreciate your children so much more when you get a little break from them too. :D

ASD123456 said:
Woohoo, goo luck. I'm putting off writing my personal statement, blerghhhhhhhhhhh. (Sorry Laetetia for crashing your thread)

not tryin to rush u

but they HAVE already started interviewing..

i know they say that they cant stop interviewing before jan, but last year, my mate didnt get an interview for manchester bcoz they were full mid november!
get it in asap missus :) ``

ASD123456 said:
lozzi said:
ASD123456 said:

i start the access cource in sep next year, then off to train as a nurse/ midwife / social worker. Iv not decided yet.

wow so exciting, I did my midwifery and it was fantastic, I loved every second, good luck everyone.

I get itchy feet very easily and just sent my applications bcak to do History at the OU with a view to primary teaching. Onwards and upawards lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back