C Section question

valleygirl24

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long after a c section you have to stay in hospital?

Are there any rules on who is allowed to be in theatre with you?

Mam was telling a friend of hers and when the friends daughter had a c section her partner wasnt allowed into theatre with her as they werent married and therefore he wasnt next of kin. She ended up taking her mother in with her. When I mentioned this to OH he was mortified by it and said 'F off' but I suppose rules are rules even if they seem stupid. I was originally wanting Ian and my mother to be with me for the birth so that I had backup if Ian cant deal witnessing it and tbh I dont like the thought of only having him there if I end up in theatre.

Do they book planned sections on a weekend or is it just Monday-Friday? and can I refuse a date when offered?
Im seeing the consultant on the 9th to discuss a section but the following friday is 1, friday 13th and 2, its the anniversary of the death of a good friends little boy so Id rather not have my baby on this day as it would be rather bitter sweet ifykwim?

Hey hun :wave:
I had an Emergency C Section with my daughter and my OH was allowed in with me, we aren't married yet but he is my next of kin as far as I'm concerned. I had Amber on the friday morning and I was allowed home on the monday afternoon.
Good luck, hope it goes well! :hug:

I stayed in a bit longer as baby was in neonatal unit - wed-mon - was nice being looked after for a bit longer tho and getting regular painkillers!

I am sure the father of the baby will be allowed into theatre - married or not! There would be an awful lot of fathers missing out on births otherwise.....and that's not healthy - the mother needs support so I really can't imagine they wouldn't let him in.

I also imagine they would let you have some say in a planned section date - especially if there are very good reasons for avoiding certain dates - it may be a different story if you just wanted to get your nails painted :wink:

Good luck - hope all goes well!

i was told that your allowed one person (whoever you want) in for a normal c section however if you need to go under anaesthetic then no one is allowed in. i was told i'd be kept in for 3 days if i needed one. then 2 weeks where i was to do very little at home and 6 weeks not driving

my OH & mum were there with me whilst i was in labour, but i ended up having an emergency c-section, and was told only my OH (we're not married) would be allowed into theatre with me. but, my epidural failed, and i had to have a general anaestetic, so no-one was allowed in theatre with me!

i had zach on the tuesday, was allowed to leave on the friday, but i went to a smaller local hospital for an extra night for a bit of extra help with BF :)

while i was in labour my mum and Oh were there, but when they wiped me off for a section only OH was allowed. When I had planned section i took my OH in with me, I would not hav it any other way!!!

I was allowed my mum in with me (but that was my choice as I didn't want my ex there!) I had my section on the Tuesday and went home on the Thursday!

from what i understand at my hospital you are allowed one person in with you... Visitors are allowed to wait outside, but the visiting hours for when you get moved onto the ward after having baby, for other people are afternoon's only. They tend to be a bit flexible on this though, if you catch my drift. :think:

after a c section you can be in for 3-5 days and you can have 1 person in with you, when i had my daughter i had my dad in with me and this time i plan to have my hubby with me however if your under a general like i was with james no one can come in with you :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

When I had my C section my husband was allowed in he was first asked if he was squemish though! My baby was early so they let me stay in for 5 days. Was not as painful as i thought was walking around the next day slowly but on my feet! I had a gen anesetic so was awake.

Good luck x

I had an emergency c section and my OH was allowed in. My neighbour had a c section under general anesthetic with the same hospital (not sure why she had a general) and her OH wasnt allowed.

I stayed in for 5 days but it was only longer as i had an inflamed bladder.

Remember BIG KNICKERS!!

Claire x

I stayed in for 3 nights..........your OH will be allowed in with you, but will have to wear full theatre robes and shoes!!

My hospital pulled out a diary and we were booked in for the next free date, close to me being 39 weeks (mine was at 39+1)! Generally they schedule Mon to Fri only (in my area anyway). My hospital only schedule 2 sections a day, and they try to do them both in the morning, as long as there are no emergencies!

PM anytime if you want more info - its all very fresh in my mind!!!

I've had 2 emergency sections and my OH came in with me but I'd have been allowed anyone I wanted to be there - the same as you can choose anyone to be your birthing partner.

With DD I was in for 3 nights and with DS I was in 2. It all comes down to how well you come through surgery and how well you recover. Remember though that you don't have to go home until you are ready - there's no rush and you might as well stay in and rest and take advantage of the midwives being there to help you and not having any house work etc to do! Once you're home it's not so easy to rest up!

Last edited:
Becky said:
there's no rush and you might as well stay in and rest and take advantage of the midwives being there to help you and not having any house work etc to do! Once you're home it's not so easy to rest up!
you can say that again :lol: :lol: however remember you won't be able to lift anything heavier than a kettle for 4 weeks except for baby :) that mean's NO vacuming and no driving for 6 weeks

Yes you can have one person with you. I had C section with my first and took my best friend in with me. They just sit near your head and there is a sheet up so you can't see what the doc is doing etc. You will have the epidural thingy, then your partner will be invited into the theatre. Also, i was given a choice of dates ( over a 1 week period ).. so if you're not happy with the date they give you.. i would ask if it were poss to change it. I was in hospital for 3 nights, home the 4th day. I am hopeing to have another section with this baby ( i'm 34 weeks ). Going to see consultant next week to discuss it as i am very small and have low laying placenta. I would much rather have C then vaginal birth any day lol.

Probably because i have heard so many horror storys and at least i know what to expect with a section. I guess i'm a coward :-(

i don't think a c-section is the easy way out! it's a major surgery, they don't calla vaginal birth 'natural' for nothing.

charlotte_ said:
i don't think a c-section is the easy way out! it's a major surgery, they don't calla vaginal birth 'natural' for nothing.
i agree with this whole heartedly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back