Bump measuring a bit small

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by TORino, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TORino

TORino Well-Known Member

My bump was only measuring 23cm yesterday at my midwife appointment.

It seems a rather crude way of checking nuggets growth? The midwife didn't seem too bothered by it but when I looked at the chart where she plotted it, it was on the small side of average.

Coupled with the small measurements I was given at the 20 week scan it got me wondering if my dates are off a bit? I don't want to end up going to 42 weeks but I'll bet I do... boooo

2. x_larlybelle_x

x_larlybelle_x Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry hun they allow 2cms either side as they know it isn't accurate. Pip has always measured 2cms bigger xx

3. BabyBrain

BabyBrain Well-Known Member

Personally I find I'm not trusting these measurements very much. There's too many variables to bump size. I wouldn't worry too much hun, the mw knows when to worry and if she's not then that's great xxxxxxxxxx

4. Maria1977

Maria1977 Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant with my first I had excess fluid and had to be monitored really closely. All the consultants and midwives I saw said they are happy with 2cms either way, so yours is really on average hun. When I was 27 weeks I measured 36 lol I was blinking huge and it was horrible by the end!

5. beckyboo1

beckyboo1 Well-Known Member

TOR I;m the opposite - yesterday mesasured at 27 when actually 24+3 so got over 2cm on the larger size. Midwife says thats fine so i guess don't worry.

I had a frind who was told she was measuring big, all thought she was going to have a big baby..then out came Megan at just over 6lb!!

6. reillybaby1987

reillybaby1987 Well-Known Member

when do you usually get your bump measured as I haven't had this yet? xx

7. beckyboo1

Where I am they start to measure you from your 25 week appointment. Assuming it's pretty similar elsewhere xx

8. hellywelly

hellywelly Well-Known Member

My 20 week scan measurements were between average and small and I have my 25 week appt on Thu morning so will be interested to see how they compare. And I was a HUGE baby so we will see if they take after mummy!!! lol

9. TORino

TORino Well-Known Member

I'll be shocked if I have a small baby. Hubby is 6'6 and I am 5'9 and neither of us are thin.

Im not particularly worried or anything just curious as to why it is smallish.

10. beckyboo1

TOR I'd be shocked too if I had a small baby. Were a but like you I'm 5'8 hubby us 6'2.

Helly how big were you? I was an amazing 10lb 2nd. Hubby was around the 9lb mark!!

11. BabyBrain

My mum was told my sister would be small.....mum only weighed 7 stone when she caught and my sister was huge lol. Think massive Christmas turkey :D

12. hellywelly

hellywelly Well-Known Member

I was 9lbs 1oz and my brother was 9lbs 5oz. Although my auntie was 10lbs 7oz yet she only went on to have 6 and 7lb babies so not sure if it follows through?? I'm 5ft 9 so not expecting a tiddler!!!

13. BabyBrain

At the end of the day babies catch up quickly. My friend's oldest was only 4lb, he's now 8 and in size 15 year old clothes.

14. becciboo26

becciboo26 Well-Known Member

I hd my 23 week midwife appt tuesday and measured 23 weeks so seem to be on track :) xx