Brutally honest opinions needed pls (asap)

new

Reaction score
Surname is Leyton. I really like Luke. Quite simply, does it work? I just can't decide on the whole "alliteration" thing (1st initial of both names the same). One minute I love it, the next minute I hear a really bad alliteration name and it puts me off. Not sure if it's the number of sylabbles, the 1st letter of the names, the length of the names, or what it is that means sometimes I like alliteration and sometimes I don't.

My view is tainted (it's my name!), so does Luke Leyton work? PLEASE be brutally honest... if your 1st reaction is what a naff name, poor kid, PLEASE say so...

This is becoming a bit of a bone of contention between us at the moment...

Also like James, which I do think goes better with our surname, but as a name in it's own right I just prefer Luke.

I'm driving myself mad swinging one way and then the other. Once I've decided, I'll be fine, but it's really bugging us big time, as we don't want to make a big mistake.

(middle name would be Thomas probably, but largely irrelevant, as you don't ever really use your middle name).

Thanks everyone. As many brutally honest opinions as you can would be really appreciated (and probably just your gut reaction really).

To me it's sounds like a super heroes names (like peter Parker) I kinda like it but not 100% sure it sounds right xx

Oh i can do brutal - leave it to me :good:

My opinion is that i don't like "Luke Layton", even though i do like the name Luke.

I don't think poor kid, but Layton is itself a christian name and Luke just doesn't stand up to it.

Lucas Layton is better because Lucus is the more substantial name, but it's whatever floats your boat.

I like James Layton.

Oh i can do brutal - leave it to me :good:

My opinion is that i don't like "Luke Layton", even though i do like the name Luke.

I don't think poor kid, but Layton is itself a christian name and Luke just doesn't stand up to it.

Lucas Layton is better because Lucus is the more substantial name, but it's whatever floats your boat.

I like James Layton.

I was also thinkin that Lucas went better xx

I had a similar problem.

We are Linington and I loved the name Leon. If it wasn't for all the n's i would have had it.

But I like alliteration!! I love Luke Layton!!

That's so wierd, before I read down i was going to say almost word for word what Louise said.

If you really want honesty then Luke Layton doesnt work, your instinct is right. Luke is a great name but it doesnt sound right with Layton. However the name Lucas does. It carries more weight and so doesnt get swallowed by Layton.

James does work better.

Many thanks all. That was really helpful for us last night.

I think I will leave Luke, much as I like it. It will probably be James after all.

see i dont agree with the others.... my OH's is Craig Collins and were thinking Chloe Collins,(for a girl)

keep saying it to yourself and get used to the sound of it n then decide,

dont cross it off your list just cos people arnt used to it or think it sounds right, it will sound right when u call your little one it everyday, n to be honest how often do you say your first & surname, i kno im just Amy most of the time...

xxx

I'm a Jenni Jones and hubby a Jack Jones! so it can work and nice to roll of the tongue

Just stumbled across the forum in a search on Lucas, and this is exactly the kind of thing we have just been going through. Got a long time to go yet, but were thinking about Lucas Laythom (surname = Laythom) but couldn't decide if it works or not. OH also likes Luke, and we both like Lewis, but just not 100% they sound OK, with all the "L's". What do you reckon?

i like poppy for a girl but surname will be pitcher so just doesnt work. i think some do and some don't. lucas is better than luke for sure.

xx

I like luke and Lucas and think it sounds fine.

I'm gonna sound like I'm sat on the fence here.......
I can see where the concerns are, however I quite like it.
I love the name Sam but it would be Sam Simpson. (I also happen to know someone with that name and he doesn't seem to have taken any stick for it :lol:)

It doesn't! Don't be mean to your children :poke:
you mean Lucas Laythom doesnt work? mmm, you're probably right, but for some reason i can't work out i think Luke Laythom works better. Though I know someone just said the opposite!

Me and DH quite like Luke Laythom now... are we deluding ourselves then? Does it really sound no good? I don't want to saddle DS with something they will be embarassed with :-( Thanks.

I think it sounds fine chick! If your worried about how the name sounds as a whole you can always name the lad Lucas but refere to him as Luke. We call jacob, Jake but named him Jacob because it goes better with his surname (Hughes) I hope I'm making sense xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back