Brown discharge normal?

michelles1985

Reaction score
Hi all. Got my BFP yesterday and I've been having brown discharge since Tuesday night with a slight bleed of bright red blood (about enough to fill a few thimblefuls) on Sunday night. Just getting the brown discharge again now. Has anyone else experienced this this early on? I know it's probably just implantation but I can't help worrying a bit. I didn't have this when i was pg with my son.

I didn't test until I was a week late cos I thought that the brown discharge was the start of my AF as that is how it normally starts (and it was just like that).

Made an appointment with a midwife today for 16th December and she says it doesn't sound like anything to worry baout unless I start to get lots of bright red bleeding and cramping.

Just wanted to know if any of you ladies experienced this?

Thanks xx

with my last pregnancy , I had brown blood early on , not much but enough to scare me , I had a scan at eight weeks and was told it was just old blood , a result of my baby growing and that it was ok unless there was lots and it was bright red .

Im having this aswell hun, been having it for 12days now so got a scan tomorrow to check everything is ok! Try and relax and speak to midwife again if it carries on. x

I'm still getting this brown blood. It's been 8 days now. I haven't got an appointment with my midwife until the 16th December. Is it normal to have it this long? It's not loads but enough that I have to wear a panty liner and change it now and again.....? Just a bit worried about it :( x

Try not to panic, it could just be a little infection. You should phone your midwife or maternity unit and explain to them exactly what's happend/happening and that you are really worried. They will advise you on wither to come in or put a pad on and keep an eye on it overnight again,etc. If they advise you to come in, keep the used towel with the brown blood on it and put it in a bag, to show them, as they will run a little rest with it if they can. They done that with me and I also got a swab taken and got an extra scan and they listened to the heartbeat x

Last edited:
I'm going to leave it until tomorrow and see if it continues. I think it's started to die down a bit now but it dosn't stop me from worrying xx

I know it doesnt stop you from worrying, i was in a state with it aswell. Mine lasted a solid week, then went away, then came back, then went away and so on for about 3 weeks then dissapeared and it was an infection but they dont want to give you tablets for it. Mine must have went away on its own as I havent had it since, touch wood !! xx

I had brown discharge mixed with occasional heavy bleeds of red blood with clots from about 4 weeks pregnant. I had 2 scans at the EPU and on the second scan, they found a clot just below the sac. Since then I've had more brown discharge sometimes lasting for 2 weeks, sometimes just one day.
I have weekly scans with a consultant, just to reassure me that everything is ok and the baby is fine.
The clot is still there, and measures 3cm x 1cm, and at my 12 week scan on Monday the lady doing the scan said I could bleed more or the clot could be reabsorbed into my body. Either way, the baby is fine.
I know it's scary when you get blood or discharge, but if I were you, for my own peace of mind I would go to the doctors and get them to refer you to the EPU, or ring the EPU yourself and see if they will see you.
xxx

I'd just get straight onto the EPU yourself even if to calm you down. I started getting brown discharge the day after I found out I was pregnant which lasted on and off for a few weeks. I had a scan and they couldn't find any bleed at all and then it abruptly stopped about 9 weeks.

I have experienced a miscarriage also which started as brown discharge but very quickly...within 12 hours...turned to bright red clots literally pouring blood so don't panic too much just be assertive and get on the phone to EPU as worrying isn't doing you any good.

It could also be your placenta is low lying and over the cervix which could cause it too, I agree, you should phone your maternity unit and speak to someone, they will tell you what you need to do x

The only problem I've got is I can't get out anywhere at the moment cos of the snow :( I couldn't even get into work today. I daren't drive with my son in the car with me and now with me being pregnant, it's putting 3 lives at risk! I don't need the stress of trying to drive in this weather.

I know it might be nothing to worry about. I had a severe bleed at 13 weeks with my son and he's now a happy healthy 3 year old. I think in these early stages of pregnancy, it's more common to worry cos miscarriage is more likely in these early stages.

I will see how things ar in the morning and take it from there. When I mentioned it to my midwife, she just said, either way, we can't help what will happen - meaning if I miscarry there is nothing they can do and there is nothing they can do about the bleeding if it is nothing to worry about.

I know it sounds really silly too but is there any possibility what I am experiencing is a chemical pregnany? I was relaxed last month about conceiving and it worked cos I did conceive but now I'm worried it's all in my head even though I've had 2 positive tests.

xxx

You're worried that your pregnancy is all in you're head ? If you feel like that, you should take another test and put your mind at ease, I personally prefer clearblue digital tests but all work the same. I was told I probably couldnt have a family and then "boom" I found out I was pregnant. I took 6 tests that day after the first one came up positive, I kept saying, these tests must all be faulty batches, but they were different makes. The very last one I took was a clear blue digital, they tell you roughly how far on you are before you go to the midwife. Just stay calm, see what happens during the night, and decide from there what you want to do but the worst thing you can do is sit and think about miscarriages,etc! As for the midwife saying "there's nothing they can do, what will happen is going to happen" i think that attitude is appalling, they done that with my sister both times she miscarried and she wis distraught, they are supposed to be there for you and support you, not just dismiss people like that! It's disgusting! x

Thanks Marriane.

One of the test I took was a clearblue digital. It said "pregnant 1-2 weeks" but i'm actually about 6 weeks now cos my last period was 6 weeks ago yesterday. I'm probably going to test again at the weekend too. Just to put my mind at ease.

I'm still having a bit of brown blood today. It's not as much as it was but it's enough that I still have to wear a panty liner and change it a couple of times a day.

xx

OK after 10 days of this brown blood I think it's finally stopped or is at least only tiny spotting now.

Took another pregnancy test yesterday and it was positive again and the test line was slighly darker than on Monday so I think everything might be ok for now. Finger crossed.

xx

Have you and your partner been having intercourse(sorry),myself and my partner were and then all of a sudden i had a big bleed then brown blood for over a week solid, i was changing, every 2 hours. I had a scan done and they said it could be bcos my placenta was low lying and covering my cervix and an infection. You prob should have phoned when it was happening so they have notes for future reference and they would maybe check you and baby out and make sure everything ok xx

It back again but a bit pinkish now. I've been worrying for the last 12 days i've had it. So I called NHS direct today and they sent me to the emergency out of hours doctors. He did a urine sample and found I have in fact got an infection.

He wants me to go to my own GP in the morning and ask him for a referral to the EPU to get an early scan as the infection could affect my pregnancy. He's given me some anti-biotics for now and told me to rest as much as I can. He was really helpful. Just hope my baby bean is going to be ok. I probably won't rest until I've had my scan and seen the heartbeat.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back