Breastfeeding questions again!

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
I'm not half as stressed about the breastfeeding as I used to be but I'm still finding that Connor's feeding routine is still pretty much on demand. It seems to be pretty good at night. He wakes up around 1am for a feed, then again around 3.30 am, then at 5.30 am and falls back to sleep pretty much straight away, but during the day he is still on and off at his own whim, like he can suck away for an hour then be back on again in 20 mins for another 10min suck so its all over the shot all day long and I haven't a clue how much he's had, or if he's full enough at each feed and for how long etc? I just don't agree about forcing routines and I won't do it
but i wonder if he and I can work out a better breastfeeding routine without any tears or hassle during the day? Will he do it himself eventually?

Hi there,

It will sort itself out eventually... but at the same time, there will be periods when LO is on and off all the time (growth spurts, comfort feeding when they've got colic etc.)

My LO was feeding generally every 3hrs or so, but I think he's on a growth spurt right now as it's every 2hrs, and then sometimes he's grizzly quite soon after feeding if he's not taken much, and back on again half and hour later.

My HV advised that if they haven't taken much and/or fallen asleep on the breast, to wind or change them to wake them up a bit, then offer breast again to see if that makes them take a bigger amount.

Some people also strip off LO a bit, so they don't get too warm and comfy when they're feeding - keeps them mre alert! But I've not tried that myself.

Good luck!

pregnopaws, its really warm in Spain atm and I've found that lil miss has become really thirsty. Ive been giving her blevit digest in boiled water.

BTarroDigest.jpg

it helps her poop, calms her tummy and quenches her thirst as in this heat at times, the fore milk doesn't quite cut it. You will need to keep check of your feeds though, to assess whether he is due a feed or is just thirsty.... ie fed for over 30 mins then looking for boob less than an hour later.

Squiglet said:
pregnopaws, its really warm in Spain atm and I've found that lil miss has become really thirsty. Ive been giving her blevit digest in boiled water.

BTarroDigest.jpg

it helps her poop, calms her tummy and quenches her thirst as in this heat at times, the fore milk doesn't quite cut it. You will need to keep check of your feeds though, to assess whether he is due a feed or is just thirsty.... ie fed for over 30 mins then looking for boob less than an hour later.

I've thought about that too as we've been out and about alot lately and sometimes he licks his lips but im sure he can't still be hungry, he's never been interested in boiled water though. Also, the problem with being out and about is that you don't pay much attention to the time and lengths of feeds and i often have no idea when he last drank or for how long, I just feel like my boob is constantly coming out. I'm a bit crap for keeping trackof it all, still feels like I have pregnancy brain!

I got some manzanilla bags yesterday as he farts quite alot and gets very tetchy at night so i presume he gets tummy upsets but i hadn't quite figured out how to give it to him since its like a teabag. Sometimes I think he's definitely having too much milk, both from breast and formula top ups. I'll have a look at what you suggest, do they sell it in Carrefour and how much can they safely have? I'll be going there later to shop. Thanks for the tip! :hug: :hug:

no they only sell it in the farmacias....but its suitable from birth. Serena's paediatrician prescribed it. I make up 100mls with 2 tsps of the granules a day and just let her sip on it during the day. She rarely gets through it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back