BF question...

spice

Reaction score
hey ladies, was just wondering if any of you had been through anything like this?

I've been breastfeeding Flynn since birth and he seems to be in quite an odd but natural routine. when he feeds he is on and off for a good couple of hours, he'll feed and fall asleep for about 2-5mins then wake and feed again, and like i said this can go on for up to two hours! he also seems to sleep for at least 4 hours at night and sometimes up to 4 hours during the day, though most often during the day its around a 2 hour gap!

does this sound ok? as he's only just over a week old and it seems like he's spending a lot of time awake for such a young baby! though i'm not complaining as its nice to get a few hours of sleep all together at night and be able to catch up during the day if i need to, and i'm aware this will probably change as he gets older and requires more feeding!

thankx for reading and any comments you may have!

i was told with my first 2 that as long as they are putting on weight then alls good. All babies are different. My first slept through from 6 weeks and spent alot of time awake during the day but my little boy was complete opposite, slept most of day and up half the night xx

It sounds completely normal hun, esp for a newborn. Oscar used to feed for hours of an evening, cluster feeding. It's good that he will sleep for 4 hours at times though, gives you a bit of a break.

As he gets older he'll feed quicker and have longer inbetween eventually. It will take a good few months to get established though, but sounds like he's doing really well.

If you ever have any problems or questions get in contact with your local breast feeding support team and they're always really helpful.

Totally normal hun don't worry. The first few weeks/month it feels like they are constantly attached to you. Some of it is slow feeding, some is comfort sucking but all of it will help your milk supply! Put him to the breast as often as he wants it, it will become quicker and longer gaps when he is ready.

As for him sleeping for 4 hours do not knock it lol he is prob going that long because he has taken enough milk to sustain him to sleep that long - which is fab!

Sounds like you are both doing fab hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back