Breastfeeding protest at McDonalds

Daffodil

Reaction score
Breastfeeding mothers stage protest over ban at McDonald's
A group of mothers staged a protest at a branch of McDonald's after one of them was asked to leave for breastfeeding her baby.

By Richard Savill
Last Updated: 10:37PM BST 18 Jul 2008

The fast food chain has apologized to Maddie Reynolds, 27, a nursery nurse, after a junior manager asked her to stop feeding her 10-week-old daughter Sophie in public.

When she refused the request, Miss Reynolds said the manager asked her to leave the branch in Bournemouth, Dorset.

She said: "I was breastfeeding when I was asked to stop doing it by a member of staff. I said 'no' and he then said 'will you please leave?'. I refused and carried on.

"He stood and watched me for a few minutes and went away. I was quite upset but I was not prepared to leave."

Miss Reynolds, who had been on a shopping trip, returned home, and told six of her friends about her experience.

They went as a group to the restaurant and breastfed their babies as a protest.

"We just wanted to prove a point to them," Miss Reynolds said.

Another protestor, Catherine Davis, 19, who was accompanied by her seven-week-old daughter, Amelia, criticised the treatment of her friend.

She said: "It is the most natural thing to feed your baby. There is nothing wrong with it.

"I have breastfed in public and no-one has ever said anything to me. It is fine as long as you are discreet."

A third mother, Nicky Clark added: "My son is five-months-old and I am still feeding him. Luckily no-one has ever said anything to me. There is no reason why people should not be able to breastfeed."

A spokesman for McDonald's said breastfeeding mothers were welcome in its restaurants.

She said: "This manager was working unilaterally and not following company policy at all.

"We are disappointed and shocked by his actions and we would like to apologise to the customer.

"If another customer ever expressed their discomfort about breastfeeding we would encourage them to move, rather than the mum.

"What we do not want to do is to make mums feel as if they have to hide away."

The spokesman said the manager's actions "have been discussed with him and he is now fully in touch with company policy."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ald's.html

Oh i wish that was me!!! I'd love to tell them where to stick and why! And i'd probably get beaten to it by my OH!

bet the manager regrets that now :lol:

Have to say though I have never had a problem when I fed in MacDonalds, apart from some teenage boys getting all giggly when Cally had a mcbooby

beanie said:
bet the manager regrets that now :lol:

Have to say though I have never had a problem when I fed in MacDonalds, apart from some teenage boys getting all giggly when Cally had a mcbooby

Lol!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I fed April in Burger King the other day - a group of three girls (about 17/18 I think) looked agog! They began whispering and pulling faces - daft mares! They didn't see me pulling faces at their orange skin and copius layers of Elizabeth Duke jewellery!! :talkhand:

We were talking about this last week at the BF cafe I go to. The same kind of thing happened to someone I know it McDonalds too. Someone complained and she was asked by a member of staff to go into the toilets to continue feeding. She said no so they let her into their "staff" room which she said was a grubby little room. I'd have point blankly refused and continued feeding.

Oh for god sake, its rediculous really. Anyone would think we walked around, tits out, waving and doing star jumps!!

Babys having lunch, whats wrong with that, not like you can see anything anyway, when bubs is sucking away!!

Rofl!

We were talking about it at my bf group too and one woman was telling us a similar story that she had heard in a Pizza Hut where the woman was asked to go to the toilet to feed her lo because another customer had complained ( an old man) so on her way to the toilet she picked up his pizza and said if my baby has to eat in the toilet than so can you. :rotfl:

I'm sure trixipaw's OH works for McDonalds and she mentioned once that they were very pro-breastfeeding.

Just as well the restaurant manager wasn't in Scotland, its illegal here to ask a breastfeeding mother to not feed in public - yay!

Valentine Xxx

I read that last week in the paper and my oh was disgusted - because of that we are now boycotting maccy ds!
Dont bother me as its a excuse to stay away from fast food!

I bet the 'Junior' manager didn't know what hit him when 20 booby BF'ers came calling!! I bet he near poo'ed his pnts!!

I think that it is quite funny that we all expect to be confronted by the anti breastfeeding lobby whenever we go out and about, feeding our babies. Thankfully it appears that poor reactions to us breast feeding in public are quite rare. I think people are far more clued up on the issue these days and it is just a very small minority of people (usually older, male and ill informed) who complain. I do think we all need to update our mindset and rather than expecting complaints we should start to expect praise and support. People should no longer be shocked that we breast feed in public, they should be shocked that anyone could find it offensive.

What an idiot. I don't go to McDonalds anyway for ethical reasons, this has just reinforced all the reasons why.....

She's one of my friends - and i was supposed to be there that day but had to go on a course for work!!!!! :wall:

flowergirl said:
I think that it is quite funny that we all expect to be confronted by the anti breastfeeding lobby whenever we go out and about, feeding our babies. Thankfully it appears that poor reactions to us breast feeding in public are quite rare. I think people are far more clued up on the issue these days and it is just a very small minority of people (usually older, male and ill informed) who complain. I do think we all need to update our mindset and rather than expecting complaints we should start to expect praise and support. People should no longer be shocked that we breast feed in public, they should be shocked that anyone could find it offensive.

The negative comments and looks I have recieved have tended to be other mums shockingly enough.

Beanie I have just noticed your little booby feeding smiley, soooo cute! lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back