breastfeeding diets

leckershell

Reaction score
Just out of interest has anyone here found that their baby doesn't take your milk so well when eat you eat certain foods or drink certain drinks? I've got the list of foods that little one may not be too happy with us for eating (ie garlic), but just wondered what your experiences were on this...

Apparently I used to hate it when my mom was eating tomatoes and breastfeeding me lol. And now I love tomatoes :)

x

Libby hated it when I had curry, she was noticeably (& understandably :oops: ) unhappy the following day...only did that once!!

Can't say I noticed it with any other foods, but I think they do have an effect, Libby was probably just not bothered by anything else.

i dont kno coz i'v been careful about what i eat, going without anything spicey or garlicy in case it makes my milk taste minging! millie loves my milk and i do eat a lot of sweet things :oops:
i'v noticed shes a bit calmer since i switched to decaf tea bags a couple of months ago

trixipaws said:
i'v noticed shes a bit calmer since i switched to decaf tea bags a couple of months ago

ry seems better on the days where I drink caffeine free coke instead of normal coke... hyper baby LOL

My daughter hated it when I drank lots of Diet Irn Bru! Now I drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke - but not too much as she gets fretful if I have too much fizzy juice.

The only other thing I ate and noticed a difference was chilli (which I lovingly made on maternity leave and froze to eat now!) - but I've had the odd mild curry and she's been fine.

My dad said I shouldn't eat oranges and I have avoided them, but I'm not sure if there is anything in this or not.

Valentine xxx

I was lucky, Seren didn't seem to react to anyhting I ate.

Trixipaws, I wouldn't worry about the spicy food making your milk taste bad, iyts the best way to introduce Millie to new flavours. If you ate them whilst you were pregnat it will already be a familiar flavour as it flavours the amniotic fluid. I can't find the link but I have read somewhere that it helps get baby introduced to new flavours and helps them to become less fussy eaters - though how true that is I don't know.

Valentine, not heard anyhting about oranges?? Just wonderng if it something to do with allergies as you are meant to avoid giving baby citrus at first (which I didn't -oops). Will have a look.

I was told about the oranges too - my mom reckons it gives them a poorly tummy :think: could be an old wives tale?

i dont kno coz i'v been careful about what i eat, going without anything spicey or garlicy in case it makes my milk taste minging! millie loves my milk and i do eat a lot of sweet things :oops:

trixipaws said:

ry seems better on the days where I drink caffeine free coke instead of normal coke... hyper baby LOL

My daughter hated it when I drank lots of Diet Irn Bru! Now I drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke - but not too much as she gets fretful if I have too much fizzy juice.

The only other thing I ate and noticed a difference was chilli (which I lovingly made on maternity leave and froze to eat now!) - but I've had the odd mild curry and she's been fine.

My dad said I shouldn't eat oranges and I have avoided them, but I'm not sure if there is anything in this or not.

Valentine xxx

I was lucky, Seren didn't seem to react to anyhting I ate.

Trixipaws, I wouldn't worry about the spicy food making your milk taste bad, iyts the best way to introduce Millie to new flavours. If you ate them whilst you were pregnat it will already be a familiar flavour as it flavours the amniotic fluid. I can't find the link but I have read somewhere that it helps get baby introduced to new flavours and helps them to become less fussy eaters - though how true that is I don't know.

Valentine, not heard anyhting about oranges?? Just wonderng if it something to do with allergies as you are meant to avoid giving baby citrus at first (which I didn't -oops). Will have a look.

I was told about the oranges too - my mom reckons it gives them a poorly tummy :think: could be an old wives tale?

Emmylou said:

My HV told me this morning that citrus fruit upsets their stomachs if you have too much but anything in moderation is ok (probably because of the acidity? like when we drink/eat too much pineapple and it does us in! LOL). Fizzy drinks make them windy, which is understandable... but otherwise to just eat things in moderation...

D doesn't care what I eat he is a gredy ganit

he does particulay like it when i eat chocolate though so whats a good mom to do :rotfl:

Hi

Beanie thats wierd you said that becasue i ate watever i liekd when pregnant and breastfeeding Kiara and she will eat anything and really i mean anything :lol:

Nothing appears to effect Isaac, he loves breastmilk in all flavours :D Though I don't eat very spicy or rich foods like curry.
Though I'm wondering if my Coca-Cola drinking is what's keeping him awake through the day :think:

I eat pretty much anything, including mildly spicy things, nothing too hot tho, What I do avoid are a couple of things which my eldest hated when i was b/feeding. Artichokes, asparagus and cauliflower. Someone told me that they do make the milk taste really strange...In any case I have stayed away from those, as I will never forget a couple of really bad days when Jessie would not nurse at all - bad days :x
Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back