breast refusal

Lisa_85

Reaction score
Im gutted! Issac completely refused my breast tonight. Im combination feeding and was hoping to take the formula out after his growth spurt. I normally offer both boobs and then top him up.

i bathed and got him ready for bed and he only took 2 suck from the first and none from the other and i have milk as i can squeeze it out.

i feel like utter shit!

Take a deep breath. It could be a host of Things - teething, dodgy tummy. If he's hungry and you don't offer the Bottle, he will Probably take the breast, no?

Thats what i thought because he was soo hungry but i tried to hold him out until after his bath so he could get a good feed before bed instead, he is always content in his bath but i got him out and he started screaming, so i rushed him ready ( i normally talc or lotion him ) so i could settle him down and i was shocked he wouldnt take anything.

Im hoping tomorrow will be better and i was thinking i might be cruel to be kind and not give him formula and just keep him close all day so he can just top himself up with breast milk (if he latches) would that work do you think or am i being stupidly naive?

He is drooling alot but has been for a couple of weeks, no sign of little teeth showing yet though.

Thanks for the reply x

I would try and hold back on the formula if you can. Keep offering the breast frequently. He might have got so worked up and hungry that he couldn't be bothered with the breast, they have to work much harder so maybe best not to leave him until he's worked up. Formula is also much sweeter than breast milk so they can start to prefer it, I would stay away from formula all together if you want to keep breast feeding most of the time. Ive often spent the evening just letting Kynon cluster feed just to avoid the topping up with formula, your body does get used to it and makes more milk. Another option would be to express in the morning when you have the most milk and feed that to him in the bottle after the breast.

Defo try and hold back on the formula in case he is starting to choose bottle over boob. Like was said though could be a host of reasons he didn't want to latch tonight so don't panic yet.

Lots of skin to skin and cuddles and see where it takes you.

Hope you get on ok xxxx

Thanks sarah! If i can there will be no formula tomorrow, i can't believe i was desperate to stop the crying and cluster feeding and now I'm causing it, i feel so bad for him but i really want him to have breast milk. I'm not gonna have a happy chappy for the next couple of days but fingers crossed it will work. I've always got the option of taking him in a million short walks to calm him inbetween feeds x

Breast feeding is so hard at times esp when they cluster feed and your tired and drained, I don't blame you for trying the combination route, it does work for some people. Im sure you will have him back to breast only with a bit of persistence and tonight could have just been a one off for any reason. Good luck, let us know how you get on x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

OMG this exact same thing happened to me 2 nights ago, he completely rejected me so I had no choice but to offer a bottle I was gutted, but the next night he was fine on the boob again, no idea what was the issue?? Hope your Lo is ok now?

well last night was horrible, he went to bed at 6 (normally 7) and woke at 10.30pm (normally 4am) i offered him a feed and he again refused so i made up a bottle :( he woke loads for his dummy and woke again at 5am refused breast so took a bottle.

He then fed at 8am and took some of my milk so i have restrained from giving him formula... im hoping if he is hungry he will take the breast, i did notice this morning he has a cold, poor baby with huge boogies :( so im feeling a bit guilty.

Also ive not gave him a dummy this morning as im sick of it but he is crying alot so i want to cave in cos i feel cruel... but would it not be best to get all the crying out the way all at once?

xx

I'm afraid I've had no experience but hang on in there! I hope he's not being too much of a pain?

He isn't well... he is sleeping a lot and not feeding much from boob or bottle x

i dont want to over react by going to the doctors, im hoping it his teeth (not that i can see signs of any) or his cold.

He is still drinking just not as much as normal, im going to see how he is through the night and if he isnt much better ill take him tomorrow.

He doesnt have a temperature but he does sound a little chesty x

Sounds like its his cold stopping him feed properly. Any better last night? Kynon didn't feed much with a cold either. I used one of those plug in breath easy things and steam. Hope he gets better soon x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back