expressing

Lisa_85

Reaction score
Well my pump didnt arrive but i have borrowed one from thew hospital until mine does arrive.

So when and how long do i express for?, Im trying to feed Issac every 2hours as he isnt able to latch properly so to stop him from becoming to hungry i offer his feeds and he is more that happy to take them... So how can i fit expressing into the day?

I have tried to express after a feed and nothing but a few drops come out but if i squeeze my boob it squirts out! im so frustrated.

Thanks for your advice x

I'd PM Ish if she doesn't see this, she's the express queen!

I'm not hugely sure as I seem to have a load of milk and can pump a bit before my feeds and still have plenty. Did they give you no advice in the hospital?

lol i can squeeze milk all over my hand on one side but it seems to leak out the pump but the other side i can get 1oz easily

I'm on my Mobile so its a pain to on... hope she see's this.

I wish i was back at the first few weeks where it just poured out lol x

Oh yes, I express as if my life depended on it :D

Do persevere with pumping, there won't be much to start with, but it does increase over time :hug: I found it very frustrating in the first weeks, I'd pump for half an hour and get about 20 ml, but now OH's beer fridge is loaded with bottles of milk.

Last edited:
I've just pumped, its been 4hours since he went to bed and fed at 7 i got 20ml but nothing more came out but when i squeezed my boob it squirted loads... y won't it just come out? How much Does V normally feed and how often? Z

V can feed up to 200 ml in one go, he likes to have a big meal in the evening (I could swear he had 400 ml in a couple of hours last night). But he only has little top ups during the day.

Back when I BFed him exclusively it was a nightmare, because my milk supply was lowest in the evenings, when he was at his hungriest, and he'd cry, then I'd start crying because I couldn't feed my baby, etc.

Don't worry about quantities, just persevere (I do it every 2 hours), you'll notice a difference in no time.

When I had to express for my LO I was told every 3-4hrs 15mins on each side unless it runs dry obviously. A good bit of booby massage helps too.

---

Can i just top up other milk i express into the milk i previously expressed and stored in the fridge? I will keep going i have the machine on loan for a week x

Just to add different types of expressing work better for different people. So for example I found an electric pump absolutely useless for me but others swear by them. Different brands also make a difference too so it can be trial and error to begin with.

I try to pump every 2 hours and go for as long as is needed. Once the flow has stopped continue to pump for a couple of minutes for a second letdown and to help keep supply up. There's nothing wrong with hand expressing so if you can express a lot that way go for it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back