breast & bottle

Redshoes

Reaction score

Hello :wave:

My son Isaac :D is currently feeding from both breast and bottled formula, this all started whilst in hospital as he had a high jaundice count and so needed lots of fluids and it was felt my breastmilk wasn't enough. Anyway, Isaac now has breast everytime he's hungry, but then I feel the need to offer him a formula bottle just in case, I guess its slight paranoia of him not getting enough after whats happened.

So, he usually has between 2oz and 4oz after the breast, and I just wondered if anyone had had this feeding routine in the beginning, and how and when they turned it around to just breast? I did go one night with him just on the breast and it went well, but then he had a sicky next day and I worried maybe I'd upset his balance with the breast and formula?

He is very alert and active though and so I am feeling quite content he's getting what he needs, just have moments where I worry.

Dylan had to have Formula top up in hosp on top of his breast milk....

When my milk kicked in i started expressing so he still had his top up but it was all breast milk, then as Jaundice cleared i slowly reduced his top ups..i started with the day ones and then the night...

Dylan was more sick when he wass having formula then just breast milk .

feel free to pm me if can help further..

:hug:

Your breastmilk is enough hunny, remember its made for your baby! believe in yourself :)

I would cut out the formula bottle and keep puuting your baby to the breast to match his needs, these early weeks are so important to build a substantial supply of breast milk. If you want to breastfeed you need to do this.

It will feel like hes hanging off your breast every 5 mins, but I can assure you its perfectly normal. Just sit back, relax and enjoy feeding your baby.

As Cloud9 has suggested pump off some and supplement, its much better that way.

I am also doing this because Maia also needed extra to start off with as her blood sugar dropped quite low.

I think my milk will probably dry up eventually, but I am trying my best. I agree with the above, you need to feed as often as possible and also express when you can.

Howver I don't think you should feel bad about giving some formula from time to time, plenty of us were brought up on the stuff with no ill effects. And its definately a benefit to retain the flexibilty of baby taking breast and bottle.

:wave: hi hun,

Niamh had to have Formula top up in hospital on top of his breast milk.... :roll:

and like Cloud9 when my milk supply came in i stopped giving her it so that my supply was not affected (again dropping day feeds first) she also wanted less too anyway as she was getting more breast i couldn't get any out using a pump so wasn't lucky there, oh and she was sick after formula sometimes too i did wonder if it was because she really didn't need it. :think: xxx

:wave: Hi Hun, I'm with Tasha on this one, you don't need formula to top up your feeds, your breastmilk will be enough for him. If you want to continue to breastfeed then seriously consider dropping the formula completely, as your body needs to adjust to your baby's needs and the formula will interfere with that.
It will feel like you are doing nothing but feeding him but this is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks everyone, that's really helped hearing your experiences, thankyou :hug: I think I'm still quite paranoid he's not getting enough, and that's why I'm always thinking must give bottle :roll: One MW in hospital told me Isaac was 'starving' one time, and regardless of whether she should have said it or not, I can't get it out of my head yet, so confidence in my milk isn't full yet. I think trying to solely breastfeed through the day for starters is a good idea, and I think I might give that a go tomz, if my confidence holds out.

Is it possible though that I may not have enough milk, because of the formula feeding? Could he drain both boobs? I just can't help worrying he's not going to get enough from me, I mean, my boobs will be short what with me giving him formula too won't they? Sorry, I just feel very concerned about him getting dehydrated or feeling hungry because of me.

Thankyou again for the replies, it's really appreciated :hug:

He wont get dehydrated or hungry! This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. It got to 6 weeks and because of how frightened she was she was feeding him more and more formula and hre milk was starting to dry up. I asked her "Why is it you think you haven't got enough?" and she realised that jaundice was gone and that she was still using formula only becaus eit's what the HV's were telling her. She changed HV and started to exclusively breastfeed and now 4 and a half months later her son has been an exclusively breastfed baby for months now :)

I was told to top up with formula as apparently my milk had dried up after my c-section..... I'm not convinced now as Debs was only crying when I took her OFF the breast which you might expect for a newborn only hours old... Anyway I would feed her for ages and then top up with formula. She would take as much or as little formula as I would give her which suggests to me she wasn't taking it from hunger just because it's easier for babies to feed from the bottle than from the breast. The bottle basically drip feed them whereas they have to really suck it from the breast which promotes correct dental alignment. It got to a week and a half and I switched over to all breast and she's been on all boob ever since and has no problems with her weight and is in fact a very tall baby for her age.

*breathes lol*

Just been chatting to my sister in law who breastfeeds her baby she says if there hungary they will ask for it and when they have jad enough they will simply pull away.
She doesnt top up her food with formula at all, as long as they are happy and alert and gaining weight then dont worry bout it

Hun your baby will get what he needs, trust yourself :hug:

If you want to successfully breastfeed you cannot top with formula anymore, building your supply for his needs are very important to succeed in breastfeeding.

You are more than capable as many women are, its what your boobies are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back