Different options to feeding your baby

Josephine_Beth

Reaction score
(before I start, I don't want this as a debate, just a question as I am a little confused about things).

I know I have 3 and a half months left till I have to bring this subject up but I;m curious about facts etc.

Breast feeding and Bottle feeding;

What are the downs n ups of both?

Breast feeding;

I figured that with breast feeding, not only would your baby receive the immunity from the mum, would it also help to lose your baby weight faster? Also, feeding time is something that the father couldn't participate in unless you (don't know the correct term) squeeze the milk into a bottle.

Bottle feeding;

Both you and your partner get to share the joy of feeding, can it help bond a connection between the baby and the father?

Also, this would mean that mum got to rest more? But would the baby receive the nutriants that he/she needs?

Sorry to ask this question, I have seen this subject generally is steered away from at times. I just wanted to get all the facts before I mafe my choice. I want to lean toward breast feeding, plus I have big boobs as it is, thought it may help bring them down quicker :lol:

Breast Feeding

Pros

* The physical closeness that is part of breastfeeding encourages early bonding between mother and baby.
* Although both breast and formula feeds provide most of the nutrition that a baby needs for the first four to six months, breast milk also contains antibodies and white blood cells that protect the baby against infection, particularly gastroenteritis. Research has also shown that breast-fed children tend to get fewer middle-ear infections.
* Babies who are exclusively breast-fed up to around six months of age are less likely to suffer from food allergies and eczema.
* It is possible, though not proven, that breast-fed babies are at lower risk of childhood leukaemia.
* The strength of breast milk is always correct, and there are none of the problems associated with incorrectly made-up bottles.
* There are no bottles to sterilise and none of the problems associated with improperly sterilised bottles and teats. It is also the most portable infant feeding system - you'll never be caught out with no feed available.
* Breastfeeding speeds up involution of the womb (the shrinkage back towards its previous size).
* Women who breastfeed are at lower risk of developing breast cancer in later life.
* Although breastfeeding shouldn't be used as a sole method of contraception as it's not infallible, the hormones produced by lactating mums do delay the return of ovulation.
*its free

Cons
The following conditions aren't inevitable and you may not experience any bad side effects at all.

Engorgement
If the baby is not emptying the breasts fully after the milk has come in, the breasts can become engorged and uncomfortable. This can usually be resolved by expressing the breast milk either by hand or by using a breast pump.

Expressed milk can be frozen and stored for later use. Freezing breast milk in sterilised ice cube trays, and then bagging the cubes, allows for lots of flexibility when making up a feed of breast milk in the future. Many mums express excess milk after feeds, even if they are not suffering from engorgement. Having a supply of frozen breast milk allows mum to have a well-earned night out without having to resort to use formula feeds. It's also a godsend for the mum who needs a break from the night feed - Dad can do it instead!

Cracked nipples
These can be so-o-o painful. They are usually caused by the baby sucking hard on the nipple, and can often be avoided by good breast-feeding technique being taught from the very beginning. They are more likely to be a problem in the early days of feeding, when the baby is latching on frequently because of poor milk supply, and when a good technique hasn't yet been learned.

Mastitis
If a milk duct becomes blocked and a segment of the breast is unable to drain properly, the stagnant milk in that segment can become infected. This produces a hot, red, painful area on the breast and the mother may feel unwell with it. This needs to be treated with antibiotics for a week or more. The type of antibiotic given is chosen to allow breast-feeding to continue, because regular feeding will help to clear the blockage in the milk duct.

Attitudes to breastfeeding
Attitudes to breastfeeding in public in the UK are not always as helpful as they could be. When I was feeding my baby (many years ago), it was a struggle to find somewhere to feed if you went to town shopping. One or two stores provided a 'nursing room', but feeding elsewhere was rather frowned upon. Things are better now, but problems like this may deter women from breastfeeding.

* you may have difficulties getting baby to latch on, as both mum and baby need to learn how to breastfeed.

* you may not produce enough milk for your babies needs

Bottle Feeding

Pros

Bottle-fed babies need to be fed less often
If for some reason breastfeeding is not an option, a woman can consider bottle-feeding. There is a school of thought that sees some advantages in bottle-feeding. For instance, formula milk is not as easily digested as mother's milk. Consequently, the baby feels satiated for longer periods and this extends the time between feedings at an earlier stage.

I know exactly how much milk my baby has
In the case of bottle-feeding, a mother knows exactly what her baby's intake of milk is, whereas a nursing mother often worries that her baby has not had enough.

Anyone can feed the baby
Bottle-feeding gives a mother more freedom, as she is not tied down to feeding times. Anybody can feed the baby if given the bottle and the formula. Fathers and older siblings can also participate in feeding the baby and share the burden of caring for the newborn.

You can resume "normal" life sooner
* Unlike the breastfeeding mother, the bottle-feeding mother can dress as she pleases. A nursing mother will have to wear something that can accommodate a hungry baby.
* A nursing mother is limited to only using those methods of birth control that are not harmful to the baby. This restriction does not apply to bottle-feeding mothers.
* A bottle-feeding mother does not have to be as particular about a nutritious diet.
* She can have a few drinks and take an aspirin without worrying about what effect it will have on the baby.
* She can begin to diet six weeks after delivery.
* Bottle-feeding is more convenient and less embarrassing in public.
* Lovemaking is sometimes not easy for the breastfeeding woman because the hormonal changes associated with lactation leaves her vagina dry. In addition, breastfeeding can lead to sore nipples and leaky breasts, which are not conducive to lovemaking.

Cons

* Formula is expensive.

* You have to be very sure you sterilise everything which can be time consuming.

* You have to find places to warm up bottles if you go out.

* Your baby won't get natural immunities that are found in breastmilk.

* Formula contains mostly casein proteins which don't digest as easily as breastmilk meaning your baby is more likely to suffer from constipation or colic.

Great response little*red.

I just wanted to add that it is still possible for the Dad etc to feed your LO as you can express milk to a bottle.

In the long run I believe breast feeding is easier, once you have both got the hang of it, it doesn't matter where you are you can feed your LO, you don't have to worry about amounts, temperatures, sterilisation at all. However it is hard getting started. If you do decide to try and breastfeed. Find out where you local breast feeding support group, and I would recommend going to them as soon as possible after your LO is born. If it wasn't for there support I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed in the long term (I had flat nipples and we were really struggling to get a latch). I am still breast feeding now, nearly 11months later.

Nicky_Jones said:
Great response little*red.

I just wanted to add that it is still possible for the Dad etc to feed your LO as you can express milk to a bottle.

In the long run I believe breast feeding is easier, once you have both got the hang of it, it doesn't matter where you are you can feed your LO, you don't have to worry about amounts, temperatures, sterilisation at all. However it is hard getting started. If you do decide to try and breastfeed. Find out where you local breast feeding support group, and I would recommend going to them as soon as possible after your LO is born. If it wasn't for there support I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed in the long term (I had flat nipples and we were really struggling to get a latch). I am still breast feeding now, nearly 11months later.

thanks nicky i forgot to put that in, the info is just from loads of pages over the internet so if ive missed nathing out feel free to add to it.

obviously some of the pros and cons can be added to each method as with breastfeeding you can let other people feed the baby if you express which is a pro but then that also adds a con as you have to add the expense of bottle and sterilising them :D

My advice to everyone is to do whatever you feel most comfortable with there is loads of support for you on this forum whichever meathod you choose. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back