Formula - breast feeding?

BEX101

Reaction score
hello, i'm planning on breast feeding so havent really looked into diferent types of formula.
I've just found out that if mother and baby are healthy my hospital requires you to provide your own formula and bottles.

I was just wondering wether to get some formula incase i have any probs breast feeding at the begining. (Just dont want to send OH half out last minute and him come back with the wrong stuff)

I'm hoping i wont need it but what do you think is the best for newborns and would possibly compliment breatfeeding if i had to? (i know your not suposed to do both, i'm just trying to get ready for every eventuallity)

The only stuff i've seen so far is SMA Gold.

The hospital I was at provided everything for your baby except nappies, though they had them should they be needed. (though I read that now if you ASK for nappies hospitals are legally bound to give you so many-don't know how true that is?) I thought all hospitals did this, it's not very practical you having to take everything in with you and what about sterilizing them?

I know you can buy sterilized, use once bottles and teats, and ready to use formula, which would probably be better, especially for use in hospital where you don't have all home comforts? I started Isaac on SMA gold but later switched to Cow&Gate as he had problems poo'ing with SMA. There's no right or wrong formula, it's more about if baby's happy with it, so don't be too concerned as to which brand, in that I suppose I mean your LO isn't here yet to tell you their preference, just very best wishes with the breastfeeding, but I would recommend C&G, very best wishes :hug:

i was 100% determned to breast feed but i ended up having a c sec and it was to painful so i started botlle feeding i brought some formula just in case and i brought aptimil never had any problems with it, but like redshoes said there is no right or wrong one just buy what you think is best and baby will let you know if they like it or not.

good luck.

That's weird the hospital ask you to bring formula, I've never heard of that. With most hospitals they have the ready to use bottles I think.

I would maybe just get a couple of cartons. I did with mine, I never used them, but it was good knowing they were there if I needed them.
I got Aptimil, it has the pro-biotics and is supposed to be the best for them, and be the closest to breastmilk. Mind you they all say that :lol:

That is strange, I TRIED to take my own bottles in and got told off!

Y'know even if the breastfeeding proves difficult, babies sleep for nearly all of the first 24 hours (when they're not trying to feed) so it's not like your DH would have to dash out very early on and they don't need much milk in those first hours anyway :think:

Wouldn't like to recommend a formula as don't know enough about it, but I do know that next time I won't be lugging as many bags along. If you can save the space, I would!

I use SMA Gold and have never had any problems with it. Whilst I was in hospital I saw quite a few people using bottles of formula that the hospital provided and because Jake wouldn't take to the breast at first due to him having jaundice I had to give him a bottle of formula which the hospital provided. Jake took to the breast on day 5 of my hospital stay and we went home on day 6. I actually only ended up breastfeeding exclusively for one month and another month mixing breast and bottle. I wish now that I had breastfed for longer than two months but I made the mistake of mixing breast and bottle and my milk started to dry up. I took my own nappies in to hospital with me but the hospital provided me with some so I didn't use many of my own.

Redshoes said:

The hospital I was at provided everything for your baby except nappies, though they had them should they be needed. (though I read that now if you ASK for nappies hospitals are legally bound to give you so many-don't know how true that is?) I thought all hospitals did this, it's not very practical you having to take everything in with you and what about sterilizing them?

I know you can buy sterilized, use once bottles and teats, and ready to use formula, which would probably be better, especially for use in hospital where you don't have all home comforts? I started Isaac on SMA gold but later switched to Cow&Gate as he had problems poo'ing with SMA. There's no right or wrong formula, it's more about if baby's happy with it, so don't be too concerned as to which brand, in that I suppose I mean your LO isn't here yet to tell you their preference, just very best wishes with the breastfeeding, but I would recommend C&G, very best wishes :hug:

sorry bex to but in here but redshoes, did your baby suffer from constipation while on sma gold? u switched to cow and gate and hes fine now?

we used the hosp nappys while we was there. was about 4 or 5 in the labor ward despite i took my own :)

We were told that we'd have to bring our own in also.

I was determined to breastfeed and luckily I did but I got some Aptimil cartons. I use Aptimil now and it is good. Good Luck :D

i was told by my hv aptamil is the closest to breast milk...

good luck with the breast feeding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back