• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bowels before birth!

nori

Reaction score
Oh my favourite subject! lol

Sorry ladies but i just need to ask.. as you know i have crohns and my bowels are never 100%. I've heard you "normal boweled members" have something called a "clear out?".. just so i know that i'm not flaring when this happens, when does this usualy occur? Is it like the day you go into labour or is it leading up to your due date?

I'm not easily embarrassed with the poo talk (after 15 years of it) so your replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Claire x

Having IBS Its usually running out of me like water, or dosent move for a week, then hurts more than I rmbr the contractions hurting!!!!

Anyways, yes, i had a loose clear out, unexpected as I didnt feel like going, but that told me I was deffo in labour, and instead of staying up to time the pains, I was going to go to bed, as if I was going into labour I wanted to be rested, and its so long with your 1st (so im told) that I thought there was no point getting excited! Anyways - I woke at 3am, and my waters broke with a contraction and I waddled off to the loo, so i ould put the waters down there insetead of in my bed :puke: once I sat down it started pooring out of *TMI* all 3 holes!! :puke: I felt a stone lighter after it all :lol: so yes, my body cleared out..!!

You'll be fine, most people poo during labour anyways...

Hi claire

I have IBS so I was worried about this too. If I'm completely honest I didn't really have much of an obvious 'clear out' as such. I started contracting on the Wednesday and the from the Saturday before I had been having slight tummy cramps like I was going to have a flare up but nothing ever really came of it. I had one episode of the runs on the Monday but either side of that I was normal

I have been quite constipated since the birth though which is really odd because I never get that.

I think most women get the clear out in the few days before labour starts

:hug:

I got to the hospital at 6 p.m on the day I had Ricky and the midwives told me to go for a walk (get out of our way). Prob was I needed a poo really badly :oops: , so I went for a walk, kept popping to the toilet but nothing was happening.
Eventually they let me setle into the delivery suite as my contractions were strong, and between 7 and 8.30 I sat on the toilet as often as poss straining (I'd had a lentil burger for lunch and I haven't been near one since! :puke: )
Anyway, I had a good 'clearout' at 8.30, felt so relieved and Ricky was born at 9.45 p.m, then I scoffed OH's stash of snacks, it had all been so quick he hadn't even thought of it :lol: .
:think: Come to think of it I completely pigged out hours after giving birth to Liam too, I got told off by the midwife she said I'd be sorry (wasn't sorry and will do it again if I want thank you very much!)

I remember having a poo 3 times in one day. That was my first day of latent labour. I of course did more the next day. The day I actually went into first stage labour I went to the loo a few times again :lol:

I doubt you'll mistake it as it usually occurs with other goings on ranging from mild contractions (often irregular) to losing your plug/having a show or even waters breaking. Could possibly happen within a few days of each other. I found my body just felt different, as did I. I just felt calm and ready and knew my baby was on his way.

Also don't forget if you reach 40 weeks then you can expect that at some point not too long after that your LO will want to arrive.

I had a spontaneous labour so my clearout was about 30 minutes before my 1st contraction. I went twice in this time.

This was something I kept looking out for as 'a sign' - but it didn't start to happen for me until I was already getting regular contractions so I was pretty sure I was in labour before it started

I had a bit of a clearout at 37 weeks and then a MAJOR clearout 3 days after my due date when I was in slow labour. It was a bit like I had a stomach bug and felt pretty rough with it but it only lasted a few hours and then I felt fine again. Also had it a bit when waters had broken and labour was iminent
:hug:

For a good couple of weeks before I popped, I pooped up to 12 times a day... it was exactly like a flare except without the debilitating cramps that come with it... but everything else was the same. I dunno if that was because I have Crohns and the baby was pushing on my bowels irritating them, or it was a change in hormones that my bowels are sensitive to.... but it was fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I started getting contractions I just thought it was bad wind and that I needed the toilet! LOL so I went just at the start of the contractions......obviously it wasn't wind it was that I was having a baby but that was when I had my "clear out" lol.

Squiglet said:
For a good couple of weeks before I popped, I pooped up to 12 times a day... it was exactly like a flare except without the debilitating cramps that come with it... but everything else was the same. I dunno if that was because I have Crohns and the baby was pushing on my bowels irritating them, or it was a change in hormones that my bowels are sensitive to.... but it was fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only 12 times a day? lol.. that aint bad for a crohns flare! :) On a serious note.. did your BMs go back to normal (ish) afterwards. I know we spoke before and you said you flared but couldnt remember if that was straight after baby was born or you had a couple of months beforehand. Im having to change my Pentasa pills to granuels as they are getting stuck cos of where the baby is (6 horse pills a day getting stuck aint good!) so im a little concerned as i dont want to rock the boat (or should i say the bowels)

It sounds like the "norm" is really once you go into labour so i'll use that as my basis for normality. Thanks for all your replies ladies!

Claire x

Straight after my waters broke I had a good clear out for about 20 mins.

TBH I've had more issues since the birth with IBS and stomach cramps like labour pains, in fact I might post about it to see if it's normal.

Not long now matey :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back