Bottles and feed to take to hospital?

debecca

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some advice on this... because I'm going to the local mdwife-based unit they DON'T provide bottle-feeding equipment other than a steriliser and Milton tablets so I have two questions:

1. How many bottles should I take with me? Do I need to pre-sterilise them or will it be OK to do it there? I was thinking of staying in 2-3 days so will 2 bottles be too few? Don't wanna be loaded up!

2. Should I take the powder we intend to use (in a big tin) or just make do with the expensive individual cartons for the hospital stay for convenience? What are your thoughts?

Any ideas? :wall:

That's a real pain having to take your own! :x

In hospital they provide jars of ready made formula, with a pre sterilised screw on teat. I'd be tempted to buy some of those to take with me. Far less hassle whilst in the unit.

If you are planning on staying in 2-3 days then I would take 4 bottles because babies feed quite often at 1st :)

Also I'd take powder because babies don't drink much at each feed at 1st so unless you can store the left over carton in a hospital fridge then it would just get wasted after an hour of being open :)

It will probably be ok to sterilise your bottles while you are there though.

My hospital also provide little formula jars and pre sterilised teats which is alot easier so if you could get some of them would be better :)

Hope that helps :)

Hmmm if you are going to bottlefeed exclusively I'd have said go with the formula you plan to use once back home rather than change baby over after a few days. If its back up to breastfeeding them go with a couple of cartons.

I'd go with a fair few bottles also if bottle feeding only. I'd think you would be ok to sterilse them there and make up a few feeds at a time. Depends on how busy things are there and how you think you may cope. Chances are you'll be feeding little and often (babys stomach is the size of a walnut on average at birth) so it might be easier to make up a few feeds in advance rather than fresh each time.

Personally I would take enough with you for a day and then you can always send a relative home to bring more. That way you're not too loaded down with stuff but have enough to be going on with.

The advice now is to make up each feed from scratch when needed, so I'm not sure the midwifes would be happy about you making up feeds in advance.
I used to make James' bottles up the night before though and store them in the fridge.

muppetmummy said:
The advice now is to make up each feed from scratch when needed, so I'm not sure the midwifes would be happy about you making up feeds in advance.
I used to make James' bottles up the night before though and store them in the fridge.

They change advice so bloomin often its hard to know what to do sometimes :wall:

Is this just when in hospital or once home also? Wasn't that long ago that making up a few feeds was supposed to be fine :?

I hope to BF so its no biggie to me. I'll be freezing the odd drop for emergencies though :lol:

Aparantly its at home too. If the breastfeeding doesn't work out though I think I'll continue making up feeds the night before like I did for James, it never did him any harm.
I'm sure given a year or so they will have changed their mind again! :lol:

They also say don't use baby wipes now, just cotton wool and water, and only use plain water in babys bath. Like water and cotton wool is gonna get rid of the first meconium poo! :rotfl:

I'd suggest buying the premade ones with teats on in glass bottles. Not sure where to get them round by you but they do them in our Asda here. They're about a tenner for a box of 10 or 12 (I think) and if I was in your situation, that would be a tenner well spent :)

leckershell said:
I'd suggest buying the premade ones with teats on in glass bottles. Not sure where to get them round by you but they do them in our Asda here. They're about a tenner for a box of 10 or 12 (I think) and if I was in your situation, that would be a tenner well spent :)

I agree with Leckershell. Are you sure the midwife unit don't supply these? We had them in hosp when Tom was born. They are by far the easiest way to feed. You don't need to worry about any sterilising and it's all ready made up.

If you can't get hold of them then I'd suggest getting a Lindam microwave steriliser bag. I have one you can have if you PM me. They fit one bottle and you just shove them in the microwave with water and they're done. And I'd get the pre-made cartons. May be expensive but worth it. You'll need things to be as easy as possible in those first few days.

Lxxx

muppetmummy said:
They also say don't use baby wipes now, just cotton wool and water, and only use plain water in babys bath. Like water and cotton wool is gonna get rid of the first meconium poo! :rotfl:

They have always said that round here? :?
I didnt use wipes until my 3 were around 3 months or something? :?

LucyBee said:
leckershell said:

I agree with Leckershell. Are you sure the midwife unit don't supply these? We had them in hosp when Tom was born. They are by far the easiest way to feed. You don't need to worry about any sterilising and it's all ready made up.

If you can't get hold of them then I'd suggest getting a Lindam microwave steriliser bag. I have one you can have if you PM me. They fit one bottle and you just shove them in the microwave with water and they're done. And I'd get the pre-made cartons. May be expensive but worth it. You'll need things to be as easy as possible in those first few days.

Lxxx

Cartons all the way... I used them up until a few weeks ago (not as bad as it sounds as he was majority breastfed) but they are so easy and handy.

lea m said:
muppetmummy said:

They have always said that round here? :?
I didnt use wipes until my 3 were around 3 months or something? :?

5 years ago, when I lived in plymouth they said wipes were ok. They even put johnsons baby bath in his demonstration bath at the hospital. I guess it must vary depending on where you live :)

Its crazy isnt it? How are we ever supposed to know whats right when things vary so much from one end of the country to the other? lol
I guess thats why "mum knows best!" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back