Book Advise!

lillyblue

Reaction score
Can any of you ladies help me.

I am wanting to buy a few books because I am worried that I might not know everything I want to know. So was wondering if anyone has got advise on what books I can buy before I go out and purchase them this weekend

Thanks ladies

xx

I bought a few, but my favourite by FAR was The Rugh Guide to Pregnancy by Kaz Clarke, it was so funny and witty, and made me laugh out loud, I read it every night, page by page, as it tells you whats happening as you progress through the pregnancy. It was also so informative and fascinating, everything in laymans terms, made the whole thing not so scary. I loved it! :)

I read 'Hypnobirthing' in preparation to birth. I also read 'Attachment Parenting' towards the end of my pregnancy. I really enjoyed 'Three in a Bed' which is about co-sleeping. All these suit my parenting style.

My current favourite is 'No-Cry Sleep Solution' but I wouldn't worry about reading it until your LO is older and IF you'd like to modify their sleeping habits in a gentle way.

I do sound a bit of a hippy, don't I? :think: :lol:

I also read a hypnobirthing book and I would recommend What To Expect The First Year - it's full of questions commonly asked by new parents and I found it very reassuring.

Thanks ladies

I am also looking for something to read about the first year or baby and what to expect E.G. breastfeeding, sleeping etc etc any advise on these? I heard Gina Ford is good?

x

I've got the Gina Ford book (contented Little baby) and although I haven't follwed it to the letter I have taken loads of tips from it and I think it's quite good.

IMO I would have found it too difficult to be too strict with it as it says that baby should sleep from 7 -7 and I don't really want that. My DH doesn't get home from work until 6:30 and I want him to see her more than half an hour a day!! I would prefer her to have a couple of hours in the afternoon's and then got to bed at about 9ish. Once she's a bit older I can bring the bedtime earlier in small bits until she's going to bed when we want her too.

Saying that I did follow the bedtime routine of having a bath and feed and putting her down quietly and in the semi darkness and since she was 9 weeks she's been sleeping in her own room and going straight through the night. We still do it now and from taking her up to bed she's usually settled withing about 15 - 20 minutes. I've managed to breastfeed her really well because I followed the advice about giving a bottle of expressed milk. That helped loads with me getting a bit of extra sleep in the early days. I also thought it has helped following the advice about changing her and feeding her in her own room so she's familiar with it. One thing I've never done though is follow the routine in the daytimes......I just found it too hard and Poppy is a sleepy baby and I just couldn't keep her awake for all the time that she said. Saying that she still sleeps through so I don't mind!!

Poppy is now almost 17 weeks old and she's still breastfeeding, still sleeps from about 9:30pm to anything from 8am up to some days me having to wake her at 9:30am. Has settled fab in her own room. She has a good couple of hours in an afternoon which gives me time to catch up a bit of housework (or chat on here :rotfl: ) and then she's refreshed for a while when DH comes in so he gets good quality time with her as well. And most days she barely cries unless she's got a bit of a belly ache or wind.

all in all it depends on how strictly you want to follow the times or like me just take pieces from it. It's definately been useful to me as a first time mum because it's been helpful to refer to it if I've been stuck with something. I still keep it in the pocket of her feeding chair now and just catch up with it every now and again just to make sure I'm on track.

:hug:

Chrissy

thanks for your post, I am really pleased someone has used this book and come back to me with positive news, with me being a first time mum I wanted something that was going to help me out as I am new to all this! I think that a book could help me!

I think I would be the same as you though and take the advise I wanted to and not follow it all, I am definately going to but this now at weekend and start having a little read of it! :D

Thanks hun

xx

you're welcome hunni and being a first time mummy myself I know how you're feeling. I used this book because I had a friend who was having a nightmare with her daughter and she used this book from about 3 months or so and it worked wonders for her but she followed it to the letter.

I know it's a really worrying time..... I mean I really didn't know how I was going to cope with a baby, I didn't even know which way the nappy went on for goodness sake! but it really does come instincively and it's generally just a process of elimination. We've only had one really bad day with poppy and that was the day after she was born. She just wouldn't stop screaming and we didn't have a clue what to do with her. We'd tried feeding, putting more blankets on her in case she was cold, changed her nappy etc etc and in the end we worked out it was becuase she was too warm!! We just took a couple of layers off her and she was as right as rain after that.

You'll be fine, I just read that book and used it to fit in with what Poppy wanted. As I say the only thing I really really stuck with is bathime is about 6 ish at night and then bedtime is quiet and dark and I try to get most of her feeds in during the day.

According to the book I'm still supposed to be giving her a 10:30 feed but she sleeps from 9:30 sometimes even 9 so I don't see the point.

good luck
:hug:

BabyMagic said:
I read 'Hypnobirthing' in preparation to birth. I also read 'Attachment Parenting' towards the end of my pregnancy. I really enjoyed 'Three in a Bed' which is about co-sleeping. All these suit my parenting style.

My current favourite is 'No-Cry Sleep Solution' but I wouldn't worry about reading it until your LO is older and IF you'd like to modify their sleeping habits in a gentle way.

I do sound a bit of a hippy, don't I? :think: :lol:
lol I 'll join you there - I was about to say anyhting by Jackson, Pantley or the Sears gets my vote.

It really depends what kind of book you are looking for and what info you need.

lillyblue said:
Thanks ladies

I am also looking for something to read about the first year or baby and what to expect E.G. breastfeeding, sleeping etc etc any advise on these? I heard Gina Ford is good?

x

I would always advise against the Gina Ford book if you want to breastfeed. I do know a few mums have been able to use GF and her routine and been able to breastfeed but these are a minority and I have also met others who say the routine was detrimental to their milk supply. Demand feeding is best for you and baby, and your milk supply.

Wow she says exactly the opposite! I am reading it now and think I'll wait to start routines for abour 4 months or so- can't imagine doing such a strict routine from day 1,

I especially did not like the rec' to avoid eye contact during eh 10.30pm feed- that is the one want hubby to do so is v impt for bonding!

I like one called "The Wonder Weeks" by some dutchies (Frans & Plooij). It's quite an interesting read because it looks at baby's development in terms of growth spurts at particular ages up to a year and at times when I read it I felt like it was a journal written by me about my own baby. Some parts were a bit patronising (i.e. they say about 9736754 times "don't shake your baby when you get upset") but on the whole it's a great read.

I totally agree with Chrissy re GF book. I got some great tips which we still use, but dont follow the routines strictly etc. In the early days I found it great as I didnt know one end of a baby to another!!! Now I know my own baby, I use it as rough guidelines more than anything.

Hmm, Im not sure I entirely agree with you Beanie (sorry! :oops: ) re GF being detrimental to milk supply, I have an abundant milk supply now, which I thank GF for. Originally I had a very low supply and was battling against all advise (inc. midwives) that I should start formula feeding him as I didnt have enough. GF had some great ways of boosting supply (e.g set routines of expressing extra milk) and feeding big full feeds instead of smaller snacky ones, which I feel helped me in my personal situation. However I totally understand everyone is different!

I do hate to see new Mums get really obsessed with the GF routines, and getting stressed out if something goes let / early etc. (Like I did sometimes in the early days! :? ) I think they are an excellent base but not to be worried about if not followed strictly.

I think GF is one of those guides that evokes really strong opinions with everyone you ask, so good luck and dont feel pressured either way! :cheer:

xx

Thanks ladies I think I am going to try the Gina ford Book this week because I have got a week off so ill do some slight reading!! :D

I just want to know that I can refere to something if I need help and you ladies seem to say this one is good so im off to buy it!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back