BLW - first foods

CARNAT22

Reaction score
What should you be offering when you first begin?

James is probably still a little while off, but we give him food to play with at dinner (he sits in his highchair with us) and he likes to have a little lick.

I have the BLW book but rarely get anytime to read it so I am just looking for a heads up.

I am guessing in the first few months it is all about getting the used to tastes / textures etc?

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Bananas, steamed carrots, sweet potatoes,avocado obviously cut into manageable chips/wedges. Toast soldiers are good too (once he turns 6 months). In the beginning its a lot about playing with food/tasting it, make sure he isnt super hungry as they can get frustrated.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

After 6 months, baby can eat pretty much same as what we do, except foods high in satfat ie battered fish, foods high in salt ie gravy (although baby stock cubes are available) and very sugary things x

tapatalking x

We found brocolli and excellent thing to start with. Hard stalk to hold and not mush, but a nice soft top to much on.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

We started on carrot batons, broccoli, basically any fruit/veg that can be held easily when cut into manageable sizes. I think the recommendation is stay away from anything containing gluten until 6 months (at least that was what is was last time I weaned :shock:).

I tried melon which was ok but going to try toast today. As he's tlw do I give him his porridge as normal first or after?xx

I tried melon which was ok but going to try toast today. As he's tlw do I give him his porridge as normal first or after?xx

I think it depends on how hungry he is hun. I spoonfeed Harry first then give him finger foods as he tends to get a bit annoyed if its not instantly filling him up! X

The food should be cut so it is easy to handle but not present a choking hazard. Vegetables should be cooked so they're soft enough to mush easily, and everything should be cut into tiny pieces. Even a whole grape is too big for your baby right now and could be a choking hazard.

Orange segments
Rice cakes
rusks
Well cooked green beans
O-shaped toasted oat cereal or other low-sugar cereal
Small pieces of lightly toasted bread or bagels (spread with vegetable puree for extra vitamins
ripe peeled and pitted fruit, like mango, plum, pear, peach, cantaloupe, or seedless watermelon
Small cubes of tofu
Well-cooked pasta spirals, cut into pieces
Very small chunks of soft cheese
Chopped hard-boiled egg
Mashed stewed prunes
Small pieces of well-cooked vegetables, like carrots, peas, zucchini, potato, or sweet potato
Small well-cooked broccoli or cauliflower "trees"
Pea-size pieces of cooked chicken, ground beef or turkey, or other soft meat
I hope this helps x

Hey hun

Here's some snaps of the leaflet I got on weaning today from dental nurse.

She mentioned a great one that's not in there. All natural yoghurt with mashed fruit such as mango, bannana mixed through it.

If you want me to email u over some snaps of the whole leaflet let me know.

Goes through it step by step, really helped me out today LOL xxxxx

Attachments

• IMG-20130409-00390.jpg
    IMG-20130409-00390.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20130409-00391.jpg
    IMG-20130409-00391.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20130409-00392.jpg
    IMG-20130409-00392.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

RM I'll send you my email address if you wouldn't mind sending some shots of leaflet?

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back