BLW and convenience foods?

Durhamchance

Reaction score
I feel that I probably shouldn't be asking this question, but I'm only human and going back to work in a couple of weeks.

I have found some recipes to make and freeze (meatballs/patties/muffins) but are there any frozen foods that are OK for BLW? I've seen potato croquettes are ok? How about fish fingers? Dare I say it - smiley faces? mini waffles?

I'm still getting to grips with the concept as I wanted to traditional wean and I have a freezer full of purees (what am I going to do with those?! pasta sauce?) But we are guilty of consuming a lot of convenience foods from the freezer and I'm sure they wont be suitable for Blake- Chicken Kiev, Breaded fish, Sausages etc

I can see that I'm going to be cooking from scratch on a regular basis :shock:

In the early days i only used bread, crumpets and the like as salt content is high in some foods.

He is now 2 and ocasionally will have fish fingers/oven wedges but thats it. I started making my own pizza bases as he loves it and i can control salt. But we have a breadmaker which makes it easy.
You can make pitta bread pizzas too.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

If I am rushing or cant be assed cooking she gets a few wee willie winkies, bag of Chedds Nibbles, some cucumber and yellow pepper. I just follow it up with a fromage frais

I tried her with mini waffles as a treat but she didnt touch them

I wouldn't use fish fingers etc due to the salt. I'm not doing BLW but quick finger foods can be roasted veg, sliced avocado or cheese. Bread sticks dipped in cream cheese and sandwiches with cream cheese or dairylea are also quick xx

Bread sticks actually have a lot of salt in them. Everything does these days

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

So does bread, ,cheese etc

Salt is a blooming nightmare and is in so much...even in some hipp organic jars!

I occasionally give bethan a fish finger with some cooked pasta like rigatoni and she feeds herself that. Or the same with a couple of chicken nuggets.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

How old is you LO?

Personally I try not to stress too much about salt contents etc - we do need a level of salt in our diet. I try to balance it - so if she's had a salty day/meal then I just tried to make next day a lot more 'pure' foods like veg etc.

But veggies, pasta (even without a sauce), cheese, boiled eggs, fruit, bread etc are all handy.

Remember food before 1 is just for fun - so majority of LOs nutrition is still from milk so they don't need a ' meat & two veg' type meal everytime.

I give James 'salty' stuff as at the moment he doesn't eat it all.

So if I make 2 crumpets (one for breakkie and another for later as he loves them) I'd say maximum he eats is 1/3 a crumpet - the rest is thrown around :lol:

Same with most things.

So I wouldn't stress that much.

However you can do healthy "convenience" food..

I'd much sooner give James some veggies you can microwave (gotta love M&S - they are mini bags too!), some ready cooked chicken (again M&S do this and a pack will last James for 3 meals) and left over pasta than bother sticking the oven on and cooking fishfingers et al

xxxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back