Bloods - which weeks

nikki_isme

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone tell me which appointments expect to take bloods? On my maternity schedule, it says week 28 'offer more screening tests' - I'm assuming they are blood tests?

I need to know as I have to apply numbing cream before my appointment!

Thanks! x

Yes my midwife said next blood test is at 28 weeks x

Around 28 weeks, I had mine done the same time as my GTT as only 2 needles instead of 3. Some midwives take them at 28 week appt some ask you to go to the phlebotomy service around 28 weeks and organise it yourself. Check what yours does first.

Last edited:
Oh damn it. Knew it would be 28 weeks! The one appointment my OH can't make, and I need the moral support :-(

I actually only just had my first blood test a few weeks ago due to my phobia. Do you think they would want to take them again so soon? I may have to go in a separate day and get them done when the hubby is around

At my appointment today I was told I would have blood taken at 28 weeks to check my iron levels xxx

28 weeks and at gtt test if u having one x

I'm really scared of needles too. From my experience they only test for what is due at that particular time. I had blood taken when I miscarried in may, then had to go back the following day because they forgot to check what blood type I was and I needed anti-d. They then lost the blood, but luckily found a document that showed my blood type. Was so annoyed, they have no idea how much effort some of us need to psyche ourselves up to get through the blood tests.

But I think I'm getting better. Had my booking appointment last week, asked not to have the trainee midwife take blood, but she chatted to me the whole way through the ordeal, and I didn't feel much. It's just the thought of the needle breaking my skin.

Toria I really recommend Emla numbing cream. You put it on your arm half an hour before your bloods are due to be taken and you don't feel a thing :) it's the whole breaking the skin thing that I have a problem with to!

Thanks Nikki, I might get some of that. I always asked for ametop in the past, but started to get funny looks.

I had a call from midwife yesterday saying I have to come back for another test. Worst nightmare!

I have a phobia about having areas of my body touched, like the insides of your elbows (where they take blood), backs of my knees (i cant sit on certain seats if the edges of them touch the back of my knees, so tend to perch on chairs, toilet seats etc, achilles tendon (thats the worst one)

so i have to have blood taken form my hand. takes forever cos the blood flow is sooooo slow but othewise im a jibbering wreck, and more often than not im physically sick
really dreading my 28 week appt. someone there for support is a big bonus, plus they can fully explain why im going green at the gills and crying like a baby!

someone with a buggy a couple of years ago came too close to me in supermarket and caught the back of my heels with their buggy! i was sick all over the floor at teh checkout!
so embarrassing.

I'm so glad I don't have issues With blood. I actually quite like it being taken and hope one day to train to be a phlebotomist. It's so interesting to read about people's phobias.. I have a phobia of water tanks and iron pipes which is far less logical lol

Jojo I'm with you I love having my bloods taken!

I don't have any phobias which I'm thankful for!

I also have a phobia of buttons, so everyone is on strict notice not to get us any baby clothes with buttons. Poppers are ok, as are jeans stud buttons, but any where the thread comes thru he holes, Urgh. Freaks me out.
Ever seen tat film coraline? Scariest thing I've watched!

It's called koumpounophobia, and pretty common by all accounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back