Blood Tests..

BroodyBean

Reaction score
I'm sure this isn't the 1st post about blood tests & i doubt the last but i just need to get it off my chest! I am so so scared at the thought of all the blood tests you have to have to the point where i worry about it quite often! I'm so petrified of blood tests, i've never had one & not fainted, & it bugs me when people say its in your head - i wish it was cuz i could make myself change!!
I know its daft cuz for mine & babys sake i have to have them, just cant seem to find much info in the way of how many you generally have if you have a normal pregnancy? If anyone can give me an idea atleast i can try preparing myself a bit....or atleast make sure hubby comes so i have someone to catch me!! :D
xx

im the same as u im soooo scared i have my book in appointment on thursday so when i get bk il let u no HOW many test u have :hug: :hug:

I've had blood drawn three times during pregnancy, first at the inital booking appointment, when they test for blood group, rhesus factor, iron levels, HIV and some other diseases), then at 25 weeks I had my glucose tolerance test, and they took blood for iron levels etc at the same time, to spare you an extra appointment. They draw blood twice at the GTT, before and after drinking a sugary drink. If you don't do a GTT, you only have two blood tests in total.

The midwife is coming to my house on the 7th to take my blood. Ive never had any problems with needles or tests like this but I do understand how you feel about it. My sister is pertified of needles and spent her whole pregnancy worried that she would have to have an injection.

When it came to it, she said that she was so distracted by eveything else that was going on she didn't even notice them doing it.

I had a blood test when I first went to antenatal class- that tested for a range of things including rubella antibodies, syphillis, HIV, sickle cell trait and diabetes. I had another blood test as part of the Down's Syndrom nucleu test thing - whatever it's called. All of these blood tests are optional, you don't have to have them. However, I found reading up about them made it better as I understood the implications x

I'm not looking forward to them either. I have something weird wrong with my veins so every time they try and take blood I'm in absolute agony and I end up looking like a junkie covered with bruises!! You should've seen me when they put in a catheter at a+e when I had the m/c, I had this huge bruise the length of the needle!! They have no idea why it happens, which isn't much help when I can't use my arm for the rest of the day.

But I suppose if they're necessary I'll have them.

i dnt mind needels or anything like that its the strap they put on first i cnt have my blood pressure taken i cnt have anything round my armm lol

omg i am a complete needle-phobe as well. I have had one blood test so far with this pregnancy and it was very quick and (almost) painless. Hubby was working so I took a friend in to hold my hand and distract me and it was over before I knew it.

Try not to work yourself into a tizzy over this. I had one sample taken for all the different tests they do. I will no doubt have some more taken at a later date but she told me my next appt (11w) won't involve a blood test.

Good luck!

hello! I have to admit im not to bad with needles until i was pregnant id only ever had a blood test once about 6 yrs ago.
Im not a fan of them tho, so far i have had the one for the HIV, Rubella and rhesus and the one for the downs(nuchal scan)thing.
The last one i bruised up a bit bit but after a while its fine.
The best thing to do is to tell the nurse your nervous or have worries and im sure she will talk you through it. Try looking the opposite direction when shes doing it and get a friend or your bf to go with you so you can talk to them while shes doing it.Also if you cant,just take a deep breath and close your eyes away from the needle, this always works for me as its over in a second.
Hope this helps.good luck. im sure youll be fine :hug:

i was awful at first, but now i've had so many, although i'm still nervous, i'm no longer scared. I'm so proud of myself. Lol! It's injections i still can't stand! Still it's all worth it :)

IIRC from my first pregnancy, u have one at ur booking in appointment (<12 weeks), then one at 16 weeks.

then i dont think i had any until i was about 25-28 weeks. then i think its once a month until baby's born. so thats- erm, about six??

i know what u mean, i used to feel faint, but u do get used to them, as secret says. inform the MW every time so she can do it swiftly and calm u down etc. i know its easier said than done but try not to think about whats happening.

good luck :hug: x

Thank you all for the replies (sorry its taken me sooo long, oops!!) i was thinking it was every week or something so very reassured! (wuhooooo :D )

I still get into a cold sweat at the thought though, my friend suggested hypnotism so i might see if its safe & give it a shot....i'm thinking ahead to the birth too & all the needles... :(
xx

with both my children there were no needles involved in giving birth (only a blood test after) definitely try some hypnotherapy, it's safe and will (in my opinion) definitely work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back