blood test and 1st scan on monday

mumtobe79

Reaction score
Hi

Ive got antenatal appt for my blood tests etc on monday - any idea what they'll do (ive already met the midwife where she came to my home to ask me a zillion questions)

and then ive got my 1st scan after it woo hoo cant wait. On appt leaflet is says to drink 1 and a half pints of water 1.5 hrs b4 scan ? is this right as if ill do this ill be desperate to go to the loo!! When did u drink the water is it ok to just take a bottle and drink it just b4 going in?

Everytime ive had a scan I have downed a pint of water just before I left and never had problems, then by the time the scan was over I was ready to wee myself :lol:

Anyway even if your bladder wasnt full enough theyd get you to drink some there.

And now I know why you need a full bladder!

In general, early ultrasounds -- prior to 20 to 24 weeks or so -- do require a full bladder when the transabdominal approach (transducer is placed on your abdomen) is used.

The reason for this is that the fluid in the bladder creates a "window" for the beam to pass through. (This provides a good medium for sound conduction.) It also serves as a "landmark" for the technician to get their bearings, so to speak. In addition, a full bladder can change the position of the uterus, taking the flexion out of it and pushing it up so it is easier to scan. A full bladder also moves loops of bowel up and out of the way to make the pelvic organs easier to view.

In later pregnancy, or with a transvaginal approach, (the probe is introduced into the vagina), a full bladder is not necessary. The enlarging uterus is quite nicely positioned above the pubic bone and the fluid within the sac provides the medium for passage of the beam.

Someone recommended that I drink the water in the car on the way to the scan (I will be the passenger so no ticket from plod for drinking and driving!). I couldn't imagine driving 30/45 minutes in rush hour traffic with a full bladder. As said above, if there isn't enough fluid in your bladder you can always drink more at the hospital as I doubt they'd send you home for not peeing yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back