Blood groups

Ruta

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know if a pregnancy that has ended in miscarriage before 10 weeks is regarding as an actual pregnancy?

I have had 2 miscarriages in a row, my second being twins. Have I now been officially pregnancy twice?

The reason I ask this is because my blood type is negative and my partners is positive. This is not regarded as good for an unborn baby because of the antibodies I produce.

I was reading that it is no problem in a first pregnancy, just starts being a potential problem if you have a second pregnancy. So now I have had 2 miscarriages, will I next time be on my 3rd pregnancy?

Thanks for your help!

Not to sure but I'd say regardless of how far long you was a miscarriage is a miscarriage. I'm sorry for your loss. Is there nothing they can do?

I'm negative too. I don't think it can cause miscarriage but can make baby poorly when born but this is only for second / subsequent babies so should have no effect on your first.

I don't think it can cause Miscarriage. Its more that you the mother can become sensitised the opposite blood. There is risks for baby but that's enlarged organs and things like that get checked on your full scan at 16 weeks.

I wouldn't have a clue what blood my partner has x

Sorry for your losses. A mc is a mc, it doesn't matter wha t stage it was. I had a mmc with my 1st, and 2 early mc before 6 weeks. I was referred for tests after the 3rd, but when I got there I was 5 weeks pregnant with my son. I also have negative blood, and my son has positive, so I had anti D at 28 weeks and after he was born. Currently pregnant with a little girl. Although I couldn't have tests because I was pregnant, I was put on low dose asprin with my son, and again this time.

Thanks for all your responses!

Overthemoon2 - When you say it can make baby poorly when born on the second and subsequent times. What am I trying to ask if because I have now had 2 miscarriages in a row, if I now go on to have a baby full term, will this be regarded as my third pregnancy and thus be treated as a "potential" to be harmful to the baby? Do you see what I mean?

Yes you have been pregnant twice. However for the purpose you are worried it may not count. For it to be a problem you have to have become sensitised to the baby's blood which happens if the baby's bood gets into your system during the pregnancy or MC. Before 12 weeks the baby and the baby's blood supply is so small that it is very unlikely to happen. Some doctors dont give an anti d injection (which stops you from becoming sensitised) after an early MC or bleed because there is little or no risk, some give it anyway on a "well it cant hurt" basis. The most common time for a woman to become sensitised is at birth. The second most common time is during a bleed in tri 3. You can also be sensitised from having a blood transfusion.

Once you are sensitized your body thinks that a baby with + blood type is an invader and creates antibodies to attack the baby's +blood. This often only results in mild jaundice in the baby but in some cases is more severe, even life threatening to the baby.

The indirect coombs blood test shows if you are sensitised or not. Where I live they do it automatically in tri 1. I also got it done after my 1st birth before we started TTC again because there had been a mix up about my blood type and I didnt have the anti d so was worried. If you are concerned talk to your doctor about it.

Sorry for your losses.

Last edited:
Im almost positive that negative blood is only an issue when baby is actually born, not for pregnancy. Sorry to hear about your losses though and hope you get a sticky baby and some answers xx

This page explains it quite well:
https://www.verywell.com/can-being-rh-negative-cause-a-miscarriage-2371474
Here is quote from it:
The Link Between Rh and Miscarriage
It's normal to want to understand why a miscarriage happened, and it's frustrating that definitive answers are few and far between. After hearing about the need for RhoGAM after a miscarriage, many Rh negative women wonder whether that blood type might play a role in causing the miscarriages.

The short answer to that is no, being Rh negative in and of itself does not cause miscarriage or pregnancy loss. Women who are Rh negative, who have kept up to date with recommended RhoGAM shots and who do not have antibodies against Rh factor do not face increased risk for pregnancy loss due to having Rh negative blood.

Rh Factor and Stillbirth
Assuming a woman does become sensitized to Rh factor, however, the primary risk is not of pregnancy loss but of Rh incompatibility issues with any future baby to whom she gives birth.

In Rh-negative moms who are sensitized to Rh factor, there's also an increased risk of stillbirth due to a condition called immune hydrops fetalis that can develop in the second and third trimesters -- but this condition is not a factor in first-trimester miscarriages.

The most common cause of first-trimester miscarriages is chromosomal abnormalities in the baby.

Wrapping Up
If you are Rh negative and concerned that you might be sensitized to Rh factor, talk to your doctor about having a blood test done to check for anti-Rh antibodies. If the test comes back negative, then your Rh status will not bring any increased risks in a future pregnancy (but do continue to get RhoGAM shots per your doctor's recommendations).

Last edited:
Anti d Is given to buffer your negative blood from any positive antibodies that could mix with a sensitizing event in pregnancy. In our trust a jab is given routinely after the 28 week blood test is done that checks the antibodies. However any events such as bleeding or a knock or fall where your blood could mix anti d is given within 72 hours as protection. Once the baby is born they will check it's group via the cord blood and your blood and see if you need another anti d. This is given to ensure your blood is buffered from the positive antibodies so subsequent pregnancies won't be affected. At 10 weeks your mc shouldn't have affected your blood as too early but they may have checked your blood at the time. Your booking bloods will recheck your antibodies. Yes you have been pregnant now 3 times what they may do is start you on low dose aspirin which shows success with recurrent mc. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back