Bleeding morning after cervical examination, 7 weeks pregnant

SLHRK

Reaction score
May be TMI in here for some people so just a little warning!

so I had a spot of bleeding last Wednesday, and went for an early scan last Thursday and was told to come back in 2 weeks. Had a bit more bleeding yesterday, again was enough for one wipe and that's it but it was still some sort of bleeding so contacted EPU and went in yesterday for another scan where I saw baby and heartbeat, and she said everything seemed perfectly normal and we went ahead and booked a 12 week scan.

I was then told that whilst I was there it was a good idea to be examined by a doctor to check my cervix is ok, which I agreed to and had the exam. It was quite painful for me and the plastic cone (used to open the vagina) had to be inserted and opened/closed twice as the first time she didn't have a torch to hand to see. This was quite painful for me especially the second time she took it out as it had to be slightly pushed in more before being closed but I just assumed it was normal.

So I was on cloud9 yesterday after my scan and seeing the babies heartbeat, to then wake up this morning and had a lot of red, heavy bleeding. No pain whatsoever, but I was sat for a good 5 minutes just continuously wiping with more and more blood coming and had 2 clots in with all this. After that I had spotting for about an hour and then it's all stopped, but I phoned my EPU of course as it was enough for me to think I had miscarried. They basically said as there was no pain they aren't very worried but they do want to see me back again and I need to go back there on Monday, but was basically told if I miscarry then I miscarry, doesn't matter whether I'm home or in their care.

Here's my question though, the cervical examination with a swab taken, could this be the cause of my bleeding?

I'm not going to give you a 100% answer to this but can tell you about my experience.

At 21 weeks I had a bit of pink tinged discharge on wiping first thing in the morning. I called the Maternity Unit and since I am blood type negative they said I would be best to go in just to check all was ok. All my observations were normal. Babies heartbeat clear as day and normal. Since they weren't sure what had caused it they wanted to do speculum exam (baby no 1 for me, so had no reason to doubt procedure). Midwife started and looked a bit worried. It was painful, and she said there was a bit of bleeding so she wanted to get the dr to have a look. Dr came, had a look, blood in speculum and wanted registrar to have a look. Registrar then came and looked worried. By this point I was terrified. There had been no blood other than during the now 3 speculum exams. Got kept in overnight, with a cannula in my hand 'in case they needed access during the night' (By this point I assumed they were expecting me to have a massive bleed over night, and I would be leaving the next day without a baby!!) Each time I was asked when my last smear test was, and if the results were normal.

Next morning during drs rounds, the consultant had a read of my notes and wanted to do an exam. There had been no bleeding, and I explained I was anxious as the only time there was blood was during exams. She was very understanding, and sent nurse back into reassure me. 1 super quick exam, and 5 minutes later I was given the all clear to go home. Cervical ectropion.

So basically there are some cells on the outside of my cervix that are really sensitive, and bleed when the are disturbed. Having done a bit of reading around it, you can bleed after sex, and after bowel movements, as well as after examinations.

I'm not saying this is what you have, but it could be. Its not always bad!! In any case, if you are worried, then give someone a call.

I'm not going to give you a 100% answer to this but can tell you about my experience.

At 21 weeks I had a bit of pink tinged discharge on wiping first thing in the morning. I called the Maternity Unit and since I am blood type negative they said I would be best to go in just to check all was ok. All my observations were normal. Babies heartbeat clear as day and normal. Since they weren't sure what had caused it they wanted to do speculum exam (baby no 1 for me, so had no reason to doubt procedure). Midwife started and looked a bit worried. It was painful, and she said there was a bit of bleeding so she wanted to get the dr to have a look. Dr came, had a look, blood in speculum and wanted registrar to have a look. Registrar then came and looked worried. By this point I was terrified. There had been no blood other than during the now 3 speculum exams. Got kept in overnight, with a cannula in my hand 'in case they needed access during the night' (By this point I assumed they were expecting me to have a massive bleed over night, and I would be leaving the next day without a baby!!) Each time I was asked when my last smear test was, and if the results were normal.

Next morning during drs rounds, the consultant had a read of my notes and wanted to do an exam. There had been no bleeding, and I explained I was anxious as the only time there was blood was during exams. She was very understanding, and sent nurse back into reassure me. 1 super quick exam, and 5 minutes later I was given the all clear to go home. Cervical ectropion.

So basically there are some cells on the outside of my cervix that are really sensitive, and bleed when the are disturbed. Having done a bit of reading around it, you can bleed after sex, and after bowel movements, as well as after examinations.

I'm not saying this is what you have, but it could be. Its not always bad!! In any case, if you are worried, then give someone a call.

Thankyou very much for your reply. I am trying to stay calm about it, if I am to miscarry there's nothing I can do about it anyway so just need to let it take its course but I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience!

I have seen bleeding after an examination of the cervix but this is at 30+ weeks, and since I am only 7+3 it's a very different situation! x

There is nothing worse than being told if you were to miscarry then basically tough. It feels so heartless.

Hopefully everything is ok, and your pregnancy continues and blossoms into a healthy baby. Just try not to use Dr.Google. There is better advise from forums such as this one, where people have experienced similar, and they aren't all going to tell you that every tiny symptom is a bad sign!

I have no experience with this hun but wanted to say fx. Can I ask why they wanted to check your cervix/take a swab? Was it just to check if the cervix was closed due to the bleeding you were having? xx

I have no experience with this hun but wanted to say fx. Can I ask why they wanted to check your cervix/take a swab? Was it just to check if the cervix was closed due to the bleeding you were having? xx

Yes Hun that was pretty much the reason, just to see if the cervix was the cause of the bleeding x

Hey hun, cant offer much advise except that if you saw the heartbeat etc and baby was fine then that would be pretty quick for the baby to stop developing and for you to miscarry.
A doctor once told me that when people miscarry, generally the baby has stopped developing at least a week beforehand as it takes time for the body to realise.
So I would imagine the bleeding you had is from the exam, which sounds as if it was a bit traumatic/rough
Sorry I cant be of more help x

Hey hun, cant offer much advise except that if you saw the heartbeat etc and baby was fine then that would be pretty quick for the baby to stop developing and for you to miscarry.
A doctor once told me that when people miscarry, generally the baby has stopped developing at least a week beforehand as it takes time for the body to realise.
So I would imagine the bleeding you had is from the exam, which sounds as if it was a bit traumatic/rough
Sorry I cant be of more help x

Not at all any advice or support is welcome as I feel I need it just now! Thankyou xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back