bizarre question but...

scaredbuthappy

Reaction score
Hi im nearly 33 weeks pg. Just a question which is probably daft but im just wondering am i supposed to phone my hospital to let them know i want to give birth there :oops:
There are a couple of hospitals in my area and my mw asked me at the beginning to think about where i would like to give birth (which i did) but like how will they know i want to go there? Or when im having contractions do i phone them and just say im on my way!!?? :wall: Will they have my records etc im confused i dont understand how it works :( :oops:

When you next see your MW (hopefully soon) ask her which one she would recommend. She will sort it out then hopefully and explain the process. If you are not seeing her anytime soon give her a call and talk to her about it. My MW is computer linked to my hospital so as she updates my paper file I have, she updates it also the the maternity unit via online so they have the same info ongoing. Not all places are so modern and up to date :roll:

Also you can take a maternity unit tour (usually sometime after 30 weeks up to around 37) to see which you prefer. You can call the maternity units direct and ask to take the next tour and book in. Its well worth scoping out and seeing which you prefer.

But generally as I understand it, you can't really just pitch up. You are generally assigned a hospital (of your choosing) and the maternity unit will have some info on you. Also if you have had your 12 and 20 week scans done at one of them chances are that will have info etc on you.

They won't have your records as you have those and take them in with you when you go to have baby.

Give your MW a call or ask when you next see her. She can advise and arrange the paperwork etc

Er... I think your midwife has been a little slack here. She should have booked you in with the hospital a long time ago. My midwife booked me in with my local hospital at about 15 weeks as I moved to a different area and even then she said they might be full and I might get refused. She should also have taken bloods and sent them to the hospital (they need to keep a sample of your blood on record at the hospital for transfusion purposes etc).

You need to ring the midwife ASAP and get her to clarify.

Your MW should have you all booked in really by now. On the day/night you just need to call them when you go into labour/waters break etc and then take your notes with you :)

I dont know if she has booked me in or not, would i get a letter or something? :shock: I told her a couple of months ago my preffered choice but not sure if she did anything? I had my scans at a different hospital to the one i want to go to. I am having a tour on saturday of my 1st choice one. She may of booked me in but i have a different midwife now so i have no way of asking her if she did because she has left the area :wall: :wall: Maybe she did and never mentioned it?

I know that on my notes it has some info on there with the Hospital I'm booked in with and a list of telephone numbers for the delivery suite etc. Maybe have a look at your notes? If not, maybe give the labour ward at the hospital you want to go to a ring and check with them?

scaredbuthappy said:
I dont know if she has booked me in or not, would i get a letter or something? :shock: I told her a couple of months ago my preffered choice but not sure if she did anything? I had my scans at a different hospital to the one i want to go to. I am having a tour on saturday of my 1st choice one. She may of booked me in but i have a different midwife now so i have no way of asking her if she did because she has left the area :wall: :wall: Maybe she did and never mentioned it?

No you would not get a letter.

Call your new MW as she should be able to tell you. And if not booked in she can arrange it now. I'd get onto it sooner rather than later.

jools02 said:
I know that on my notes it has some info on there with the Hospital I'm booked in with and a list of telephone numbers for the delivery suite etc. Maybe have a look at your notes?

Same for me... all the phone numbers are on the first page of my notes :wave:
After week 37 my midwife added the number of the birth centre too.
You don't receive any letter... at least not here.

yeah you should have the numbers of your hospital, birth place on the front of your notes and I would have thought the hospital would have been sorted out a long time ago. Like the other girls have said phone your mw and check it out with her.

i have never been told that im booked in with a particular hospital (im on my 3rd baby)

My mw spoke to me about where i wanted to have the baby although i dont have any choice as i am high risk as i had preeclampsia with both pregnancies b4.

she said i needed to book into the birthing centre if thats where i was having baby by about 36 weeks if not to phone up the hospital on the onset of labour (like i said i cant go there anyway they wont take me)

Each area does things differently, if you are unsure about anything you should always phone up and find out.

sarah x x x

My m/w said I don't have to choose until 36 weeks as if it happened before I would have to go to the local hospital anyway.

I rung the birthing centre yesterday to check with them and they said to call them back when I'm 35 weeks to arrange a check up with them. They did say I could go in before and have a look around but I have heard good things about them so won't bother until 36 weeks.

My experience has been different to most described.

I went to my doctor when i first found I was pg. She asked me which hospital. I told her. So she gave me a letter, with a ref and pin number. I called the number on there and they booked me in to come for an appointment at 10 weeks.

I then got a letter from my hospital to say they have been asked to care for me throughout my pregnancy. It confirmed my appointment as a booking in appointment and said I would have my scan there. The day I got there, I was given my hand held notes, with the phone numbers for that hospital.

At 14 weeks, I went to see my community midwife at the GP surgery and see her every four weeks. I see my consultant every few weeks also.

So, from early on, I knew who I was with, as I chose them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back