• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bits for baby

rachaellouise

Reaction score
When it is your first baby is it tradition to buy all new or would it be ok to buy some second hand bits like sleep suits and socks etc from a Nearly New Sale?

I am very 2nd hand happy! Most stuff I have is 2nd hand which saved me hundreds if not thousands! Only things I got new are travel system, car seat, mattress for my 2nd hand cot. Don't think anythin else was new really! Even sheets, but saying that I bough sheets and blankets in sales and stuff. I've been given loads and loads of clothes so they are all pretty much 2nd hand! X

My nana and most of my family... say everything new for you first, so i'm trying to get most things new (not me buying :lol:) but theres nothing wrong with anything second hand if its in good nick! Go with whatever you choose hun aslong as you like them i don't see a problem. Will save you money too xx

I have always wanted to get all new for our first but money is dictating as to whether this is really practical so I was thinking of considering second hand for some of the following:

Pram suit
Outfits
Baby grows
Cardigans
Mittens
Coat
Booties
Socks
Activity centre

I've saved hundreds with second hand stuff too...we were given loads of clothes, toys etc by some friends who had 2 little boys and both my boys have used all of it. Obviously I did buy some new stuff for them too because I couldn't resist but with all the newborn sick, exposive poo, dribbling etc we got through so many outfits in a day and I'm so glad I hadn't had to buy it all new x

I've saved hundreds with second hand stuff too...we were given loads of clothes, toys etc by some friends who had 2 little boys and both my boys have used all of it. Obviously I did buy some new stuff for them too because I couldn't resist but with all the newborn sick, exposive poo, dribbling etc we got through so many outfits in a day and I'm so glad I hadn't had to buy it all new x

:sick: but then it will have had other babies poop on it too!!

:lol: I've passed stuff onto friends for their kids too but nothing that's been covered in poo (only actually happened a handful of times but just meant yet another change of clothes!) And we were only given things that were still in lovely condition, just not brand new. Tbh though, as long as things have been thoroughly washed and are clean - and I washed everything before the boys used them too - I'm happy to use anything knowing the people they came from...they wouldn't give us anything that wasn't in good condition x

Mostly second hand stuff here too :) I'd love to have the money to buy it all new but when you think about it babies grow so fast and cost lots so anywhere I can save money is good! It's up to you and your OH at the end of the day Hun. I've bought some new things and still have stuff to get, it is nice to buy some stuff yourself :)
A lotto win would be nice - could you imagine the amazing shopping spree?! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have all new stuff but to be fair my parents paid for pram & car seat dh parents paid for nursery set and my aunt bought us our crib so all the big stuff was bought for us as gifts which helped a lot

I have all new stuff but to be fair my parents paid for pram & car seat dh parents paid for nursery set and my aunt bought us our crib so all the big stuff was bought for us as gifts which helped a lot

I'm the same, I've got a lot more to get yet but everything is new up to now. It's not I won't get 2nd hand I think it is because at the moment I've got a bit saved up and lucky enough to have family who are being very kind. I know if im lucky enough to be pregnant again in the future I will probably have a very different outlook when I realise how expensive things are an how short a time they are in them! But I know if I am offered something I haven't got I will defo accept, to be honest I've not been offered anything yet anyway! Xxx

Nearly everything for my son was 2nd hand, I bought a few clothes and lots of people bought him little bits and bobs but most furniture etc was all used. Although everything came from people I knew.

We have had so much second hand from family and close friends for our first. I really don't see any problem in it at all.
Everything we've used so far, Evans 8 months now, is up in the loft and will be reused for baby number two.
Good luck :)

I'm the same, I've got a lot more to get yet but everything is new up to now. It's not I won't get 2nd hand I think it is because at the moment I've got a bit saved up and lucky enough to have family who are being very kind. I know if im lucky enough to be pregnant again in the future I will probably have a very different outlook when I realise how expensive things are an how short a time they are in them! But I know if I am offered something I haven't got I will defo accept, to be honest I've not been offered anything yet anyway! Xxx

Even though I know I am having a girl I have still bought everything neutral (apart from clothes) because I will use it for the next baby! I haven't been offered anything second hand to be fair otherwise I may have accepted!

i got a lot of 2nd hand things, especially clothes, ive taken sooooo much stuff back that i have bought to exchange for bigger sizes coz she has grown outno them,

i got a brand new travel system and new bedroom furnature, carpet & toys and thats about it really, the amount i have saved meant that i have been able to get loadsa bigger clothes for her in he next sale and mothercare sale :)

im not too fussy about 2nd hand things cos im a ebay addict, as long as u wash it i cant see the difference between a used 2nd hand item, to that of something thats been tried on millions of times in a shop after its been washed :)

Anything like outer clothing I'm happy for family and friends to pass down. Things like baby grows, socks etc I'll be very picky about and I'll def by new!as for baby items we r lucky my ohs aunty is giving us loads! From cot to steriliser! Some things again I'll def get new like matresses, bottles etc but she buys the best and looks after them so I know its all good quality safe stuff. I'd only take second hand stuff from friends and family as I know its been looked after and clean and safe X

Last edited:
The only things I have bought mew are, cot mattress, Buggy (parents wanted to pay), steriliser, bottles, changing mat and some clothes (as couldn't resist them!) everything else is second hand, the car seat only as I knew where it was coming from though!

We're in the process of trying to buy second hand. We now live in Oz so we don't have family here for hand me downs. Although it's still early days for us, some friends we met here are moving back to the UK and are selling all of their things. They have a cot and chest of drawers with changing table worth over $1000 for sale for $350!! It's a no brainer really!
I could use that extra $650 for the pram or for loads of new clothes. I must admit that there is some psychological little thing in my head wanting brand new for my first baby, but as one of the girls said, they don't need/use them for very long. I'd rather save the money for something else for the baby ie. Its education! xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back