Bit of a rant!

nikkix

Reaction score
Hi Guys I need a rant! I had my maternity meeting with work today and everything was going fine, told them I wanted to finish on 5th Jan and that was all okay. I found out that I dont get the enhanced maternity pay because I miss it by 2 weeks! If the baby was due 2 weeks later Id of got it. Basically Ill of been at my work for 2 years on 28th November and 15 weeks before baby is due is 10th November so I miss it by 18 days :( Im really upset because the pay difference is massive, im only going to get SMP now which is £118 a week if my baby was due 2 weeks later Id of got my full monthly pay for 26 weeks. I dont know how were going to be able to cope. I think Ill only be able to stay off work for a month after LO is born and then Ill have to go back which I really didnt want to do. Im really depressed that my company wouldnt even allow me off 2 weeks! Sorry guys rant over I was just a bit gutted!

Tell me about it!!

Its disgusting!!

I only get SMP too but we're just saving like crazy to help us out. The council wont even help us with a house lol. :lol:

I just cant be bothered to get worked up about it anymore, not worth the little bit of energy I have xxx

can see why you annoyed, it's really crap for u :hug: :hug:

That's rubbish! I missed out on 3 months maternity pay with my son, the government changed it from 26 weeks to 39 weeks and the cut off was 1st April 2007... I was due 22nd March & he was born 29th March :roll: I guess there's got to be a cut off somewhere but it'd be nice if they could be a little bit flexible.

awh hunni!!!! Would it have been different than the £118. I know how you feel though I have just bought a house and can only just pay my bills with the money I am on now so god knows what I am going to do but like JAYK said I am sick of worrying now, I am saving like mad but not much spare cash to save really so that doesnt help either!!!

Is there no way they can be flexible with you

:hug:

That's really unlucky. I'd be so annoyed!

If it's any consolation I'm self-employed so get sweet FA other than the government's maternity allowance of £118/week when I'm off. Really not sure how we're gonna cope but I'm sure we'll manage somehow... :?

Makes me think I should've stayed employed, got my maternity out of the way then gone freelance. Oh well, life never goes to plan, does it.

Are they just refusing point blank and not considering offering you more? The ball's completely in their court, they can pay you whatever they want as long as it's above the minimum.

I know exactly how u feel. my work pretty much made my life a misery until i resigned. So now theyve got what they wanted and dont have to pay me maternity pay, so i now only get the statutory as well. So now im also jobless and no idea how im going to be able to pay for all the bills at the end of this month. Trying not to stress, but its very hard.

A
x

Thanks for your replies guys! Feeling much better today, I spoke to OH about it last night and were going to save as much money as possible while Im doing loads of overtime so hopefully we should be okay! It was just a bit gutting but there is nothing I can do about it so just gotta make the most of what we have got. Thanks for the :hug:

x

If it cheers you up a little bit you'll get nearly full pay (90%) for the first six weeks then it goes down to the £117 a week on SMP. Not quite full pay for 26 weeks but at least you'll get almost all for 6 weeks so maybe you can then take off a little longer than a month. :hug:

We shouldn't really moan i suppose being paid when not at work but wouldn't it be nice to just carry on getting normal pay for 9 months.......ah we can dream i suppose!

Link for info
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefit ... sp#howmuch

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back