work are screwing me over again!

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Rah! I hate my work so much I'd love to slap the managers. I handed in my holiday form today because I know I have to use up my outstanding holiday for this year or else I'll lose it. I had planned to go on maternity leave on 1st March and take the previous 2 weeks as annual leave.

At first they said I couldn't take 2 weeks off in one go. So I had to point out I'm going on maternity leave so if I don't take 2 weeks together I won't have time to take it. It's not my fault I have so much holiday outstanding. I tried to book a week in December but it was refused, they said no one is allowed holiday in December.

Branch HR bitch says that I can't take annual leave immediately before starting maternity leave, I have to work a minimum of 2 weeks inbetween so I'd have to take my leave 2 weeks earlier.

Problem is I've arranged to see my family in Devon one of those weeks so need it off so had to agree to start maternity leave 2 weeks later in order for it to be authorised.

Having looked on the net this evening it seems that they have no right to do that, and having read through the company maternity policy again it says that they recommend you take any leave at the beginning or end of your maternity leave :x

I'm not too bothered about starting maternity leave 2 weeks later as I was starting to think I was leaving too early anyway, it's just the principle of the matter!

If my calculations are corrected my period of maternity pay ends mid december, so I'm planning on taking 3 weeks annual leave on the end of my maternity leave so I can go back in January (will be easier for baby starting nursery at start of term I figure, and I'd like to spend xmas in devon with my family anyway). I'm sure I'm gonna have a fight on my hands to get my holiday tagged on the end, working in retail they're not gonna let me have december off easily :(

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so fed up of my employers, I can't believe a word they say, they just screw people and it's up to the individual to know their rights and fight for them.

I've already had to step down as supervisor and take a pay cut, cos they changed their opening hours and I couldn't work the later closing times. They basically told me to work the new hours, step down or get sacked. Somerfield suck so bad! :x

Oh stick it to them. As them where it says that you cannot take 2 weeks before your mat leave and that you would like proof. In this hr instore, if so, can you go to a more central hr and ask them?

Im so sorry you our having such a bad time hon!
It criminal how large companies think they can get away with treating their staff like c***. The law gets forgotten under the might of the big nasty buisnesses. Id spell out in black and white refering to official govermant documents and somerfield own maternity reccomendations what you our rightfully and leagally entiled to. I know its hard especially since you wont to go back you dont wont to make waves but they should not get away with this. tell them what for love.
Hope it all sorts itslef out :hug:

yeah, it's the store HR person. She is completely useless and originally gave me an out of date copy of the maternity policy until I pointed out that the number of weeks I'm entitled to had changed. I get the impression she's just winging it most of the time and hasn't a clue what she's talking about. In any other company she'd never make manager on account of being so useless!

I'll try and get hold of central HR, though going by how the other aspects of the company operate I won't hold my breath. I have honestly never come across such a mikey mouse company before, their incompetence shocks me! :shock:

I'm planning on going back after maternity leave for long enough to be entitled to my holiday, then I will be looking for a proper company to work for, one that looks after it's employees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back